Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by NW Normal View Post
    Nobody has too much to crow about after the first game. MoWest at Hays could be the game next week.
    True and that is a game where I may pick MoWest. I need to see how they looked week 1. I think Hays lack of a power back is troubling, and they are too pass reliant. You can set your watch to a good running game, Qb is too up and down with a Sophomore.

Comment

Originally posted by NW Normal View Post
      Nobody has too much to crow about after the first game.
      I assume you mean throughout the entire conference? Which team feels the best about themselves right now? UCM? I guess so, just because they won a game where probably most people picked against them, but it's not like they were impressive until the end and it's not like we know what we have in FHSU. Usually a team or two comes out of week 1 feeling good about themselves. I don't see that this year. Hopefully it's because the whole conference is up and not because the whole conference is down. Impossible to say after 1 week.

Comment

Griffon thoughts:

Offense
        It was the best of times: 35 points was the most the Griffons had scored against Northwest in 10 years, and the most the Bearcats had given up since a 35-17 loss to Pitt State in 2014. Our RBs and receivers looked good - Markel Smith and Devon Holmes especially. Steigerwald's opening throw to Griffith was something that we haven't seen in a while in the black and gold - a downfield throw across the body from one sideline to the other. He's got a good strong arm. I agreed with the decision to go for it on 4th and 2 near midfield, and loved the fake FG. The 99-yard drive to end the half showed something about what the O is capable of.

It was the worst of times: Three turnovers, all resulting in Bearcat points, and a couple other fumbles we were lucky to get back. Holding penalty after holding penalty after holding penalty. 2.1 yards per rush is not good, but would look better without the two bad snaps and three sacks. Steigerwald made some big throws, but he missed some pretty easy ones too, and both interceptions were thrown right to the defender.

Defense
        Not bad. No. 11 is going to make a lot of defenses look pretty pedestrian. Two big pass plays for Northwest, both on play action. Otherwise, there wasn't a lot to complain about.

Special teams
        Vaval is obviously a special weapon in the return game. Punt and kicking were OK.

Intangibles
        In the last several years, Northwest would have turned this into a boatrace. I liked seeing the fight in this Griffon team in response to adversity. Credit the Bearcats for having some fight of their own down in the fourth quarter.

Comment

Originally posted by GrifFan View Post
          Steigerwald's opening throw to Griffith was something that we haven't seen in a while in the black and gold - a downfield throw across the body from one sideline to the other. He's got a good strong arm.
          I think you gave a pretty good assessment and you have a lot to look forward to. There is some really good young talent with Holmes and Vaval... you are going to beat some people. Really, I think you should've beat us last night. I quoted the above, because that thing was in the air foreeeevvver! I couldn't believe we weren't able to make a play on that ball. Reminded me of the secondary woes from last year, and was instantly like, "oh no". Next play, fumble and a NW score... what a complete momentum swing. Like you said though, MoWest never folded when they got down big, and the Bearcats came up some plays in the end when they needed to. I'm just glad it's over. lol

Comment

Griffon thoughts:

Offense
            It was the best of times: 35 points was the most the Griffons had scored against Northwest in 10 years, and the most the Bearcats had given up since a 35-17 loss to Pitt State in 2014. Our RBs and receivers looked good - Markel Smith and Devon Holmes especially. Steigerwald's opening throw to Griffith was something that we haven't seen in a while in the black and gold - a downfield throw across the body from one sideline to the other. He's got a good strong arm. I agreed with the decision to go for it on 4th and 2 near midfield, and loved the fake FG. The 99-yard drive to end the half showed something about what the O is capable of.

It was the worst of times: Three turnovers, all resulting in Bearcat points, and a couple other fumbles we were lucky to get back. Holding penalty after holding penalty after holding penalty. 2.1 yards per rush is not good, but would look better without the two bad snaps and three sacks. Steigerwald made some big throws, but he missed some pretty easy ones too, and both interceptions were thrown right to the defender.

Defense
            Not bad. No. 11 is going to make a lot of defenses look pretty pedestrian. Two big pass plays for Northwest, both on play action. Otherwise, there wasn't a lot to complain about.

Special teams
            Vaval is obviously a special weapon in the return game. Punt and kicking were OK.

Intangibles
            In the last several years, Northwest would have turned this into a boatrace. I liked seeing the fight in this Griffon team in response to adversity. Credit the Bearcats for having some fight of their own down in the fourth quarter.
            I was surprised at the amount of leg cramping that was going on with Mo West, where it seemed that Northwest was not having that problem. MoWest will step up and smack a bunch more teams this year, just like they did to Northwest yesterday.

Comment

Meh, we won. Get better each week, and do it again. Too early to tell if last night was an indicator of any thing to come.

Comment

Originally posted by Alfred33 View Post

I think you gave a pretty good assessment and you have a lot to look forward to. There is some really good young talent with Holmes and Vaval... you are going to beat some people. Really, I think you should've beat us last night. I quoted the above, because that thing was in the air foreeeevvver! I couldn't believe we weren't able to make a play on that ball. Reminded me of the secondary woes from last year, and was instantly like, "oh no". Next play, fumble and a NW score... what a complete momentum swing. Like you said though, MoWest never folded when they got down big, and the Bearcats came up some plays in the end when they needed to. I'm just glad it's over. lol
                That ball did hang in the air forever, but Griffith was soooo wide open. I'm usually the last guy to see this stuff, but as soon as Griffith was out of the backfield I was screaming "he's open! He's open!" If Holmes hadn't been running a route on that side there wouldn't have been a Bearcat who could have come close to having a play on it.

Comment

Originally posted by GorillaBred View Post

I assume you mean throughout the entire conference? Which team feels the best about themselves right now? UCM? I guess so, just because they won a game where probably most people picked against them, but it's not like they were impressive until the end and it's not like we know what we have in FHSU. Usually a team or two comes out of week 1 feeling good about themselves. I don't see that this year. Hopefully it's because the whole conference is up and not because the whole conference is down. Impossible to say after 1 week.
                  Probably ESU
                  They swampstomped a lesser team like they were supposed to.

Comment

That ball did hang in the air forever, but Griffith was soooo wide open. I'm usually the last guy to see this stuff, but as soon as Griffith was out of the backfield I was screaming "he's open! He's open!" If Holmes hadn't been running a route on that side there wouldn't have been a Bearcat who could have come close to having a play on it.
                    That's probably true.... I didn't make it down to the game and was watching it on the Network. I don't think I could see that side of the field why the play was developing, just the ball that seemed to take an eternity to get there! Probably felt that way for you too if you saw the guy wide open!

Comment

Originally posted by JurisBearcat View Post
                      Meh, we won. Get better each week, and do it again. Too early to tell if last night was an indicator of any thing to come.
                      For most things, you are right. Problem is, Wright had 9 months to not look like that.

Comment

Originally posted by HookemHerd View Post

True and that is a game where I may pick MoWest. I need to see how they looked week 1. I think Hays lack of a power back is troubling, and they are too pass reliant. You can set your watch to a good running game, Qb is too up and down with a Sophomore.
                        Never miss an opportunity to #establishtherun

Comment

Originally posted by Taxman View Post

Never miss an opportunity to #establishtherun

Comment

He was mid 50 percent completion percentage last year. Has he regressed?

Comment

Originally posted by HookemHerd View Post

He was mid 50 percent completion percentage last year. Has he regressed?

Comment

Did the oline regress?

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X