Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Predatory Primates View Post
    "Free kowalski" doesn't really roll off the tongue.

But please tell me his first name is Mike.
    I was always preferential to "My Bolles need some satisfaction"

Unfortunately I think that his name is Jadyn. We gotta come up with something clever, if there is one thing I'm sure of, its that this board won't disappoint
    Help out D2football.com - click on an ad

Comment

Originally posted by BearcatDude View Post

I was always preferential to "My Bolles need some satisfaction"

Unfortunately I think that his name is Jadyn. We gotta come up with something clever, if there is one thing I'm sure of, its that this board won't disappoint
      #whoevercanthrowbetter

Comment

No seriously, some offenses don't have progressions. They make one read and if it's not open they improvise.

Comment

Originally posted by Brandon View Post

No seriously, some offenses don't have progressions. They make one read and if it's not open they improvise.
          Brandon, in my 30+ coaching years, even high school had 2 and sometimes 3 progressions. Most of the time, high school qb's came away looking at 1st progression, then looked to 2nd. That was hard to get the young qb's to quit looking at the first progression at the snap.

Comment

Originally posted by Thepeman View Post

Brandon, in my 30+ coaching years, even high school had 2 and sometimes 3 progressions. Most of the time, high school qb's came away looking at 1st progression, then looked to 2nd. That was hard to get the young qb's to quit looking at the first progression at the snap.
            I understand that most offenses but it is not always the case.

Comment

True.

Comment

I am just not buying it. Maybe a play doesn't have progressions, but if you design an offense to never have the QB read the defense, you cannot be successful. Just improvising may work on a play here and there, but to ask your QB to improvise on a regular basis is like asking him to just take 40 hits a game. The entire point of an offense is to prepare people for situational adjustments. I cannot imagine that someone is going into a game saying on every pass play "if this guy is not open, then figure it out". There is always if-then statements.

We have had progressions with our kids (now 11) since they were 8. Not complex progressions, but more than one choice and certainly not just figure it out.

Comment

Originally posted by Bearcat97 View Post
                  Well, I left that game thinking Wright looked exactly like he did the 2nd half of last season. He had me singing his praise on the bomb in the 1st quarter and the juke he put on #22 in the 4th on an important drive. Otherwise, I was cussing - wondering why his footwork was so bad, how he can't make the easy throw or if he's seeing the field. He isn't the typical NW QB that can beat you with his arm and decision-making.
                  I think the NW offense has potential. Rankin could make our play-action game deadly. #19 looks to be a playmaker at WR. TEs blocked really well and caught the ball when thrown to. Time will tell if we have the QB to pull it all together.
                  I'm going to hold off on evaluating the defense. Losing three starters in the secondary makes it hard to judge. Throw in a couple of young LBs getting their first starts. Athletically, I like the group but we have to do a better job of tackling and not blowing assignments.

I really enjoyed the atmosphere. NW brought a ton of fans, the jumbo board was cool, the pavilion is a nice addition. Concessions were a hot mess. They ran out of water, gatorade, nacho trays in the 1st quarter. There were two lines but the left line did NOT take cash. Unfortunately, you didn't know that until you waited in line for 20min and they told you as you tried to place an order.

Fingers crossed our secondary gets healthy (Gassman made such a great diving play on 3rd down from the safety spot) and the team plays fundamentally sound in Week 2.
                  There is just a general crispness the offense needs to get to.

Wright has a lot of skill, but needs to find the edge. That's what I see. He appears to lack that "I am going to make the play" mentality at times. He has all the ability to make every throw we need, he has the mobility to extend plays, and he is a running threat. It's hard to describe what i mean, but he needs to just settle down, trust his mechanics and make the strong/confident throw. I have watched him play since he's a junior in HS and he has tools. Until he realizes his tools and executes though, he is going to be subject to criticism in the most evaluated position in NW football. Comes with the territory. I am going to error on the side of believing it will fall in place because he seems like a good kid and his success means NW success. It has taken a while and I hope that confidence does turn on for him.

Comment

Originally posted by catz54 View Post

There is just a general crispness the offense needs to get to.

Wright has a lot of skill, but needs to find the edge. That's what I see. He appears to lack that "I am going to make the play" mentality at times. He has all the ability to make every throw we need, he has the mobility to extend plays, and he is a running threat. It's hard to describe what i mean, but he needs to just settle down, trust his mechanics and make the strong/confident throw. I have watched him play since he's a junior in HS and he has tools. Until he realizes his tools and executes though, he is going to be subject to criticism in the most evaluated position in NW football. Comes with the territory. I am going to error on the side of believing it will fall in place because he seems like a good kid and his success means NW success. It has taken a while and I hope that confidence does turn on for him.
                    If/when it does 'click' for him - it will be right up there in turnarounds with Adams and Dickey - I'm just hoping that it doesn't take until his Senior year for it to happen!

Comment

• Originally posted by BearcatDude View Post

If/when it does 'click' for him - it will be right up there in turnarounds with Adams and Dickey - I'm just hoping that it doesn't take until his Senior year for it to happen!
                      He was second team all conference last year. Dickey struggled to beat out a QB with one functioning knee in 2010. Not quite the same turnaround. Adams might be a better comparison.

Comment

• Originally posted by GorillaBred View Post

He was second team all conference last year. Dickey struggled to beat out a QB with one functioning knee in 2010. Not quite the same turnaround. Adams might be a better comparison.
                        Adams had a subpar game at CMSU and people started calling for his head on here, because Bolles II was waiting in the wings. Wright looked like a JR High QB last Saturday and most are saying give him a chance. Oh my how we have matured...

Comment

• Originally posted by GreenwoodBearcat View Post

Adams had a subpar game at CMSU and people started calling for his head on here, because Bolles II was waiting in the wings. Wright looked like a JR High QB last Saturday and most are saying give him a chance. Oh my how we have matured...
                          I know you are big Adams guy, but a couple of things.

1. Adams came off a horrible performance in Mankato and then CMSU at home. 2 of 3 games were awful. He had been largely inconsistent against top competition. Adam's senior year was amazing and he did incredibly, but there wasn't a precursor to that anywhere.

2. Bolles was a much better physical talent.

Comment

• I think "If he's not open, then run it" is still fairly common in some option setups. But not "if he's not open, youre screwed."

Comment

• If Braden Wright can't get it together in a BIG way this year, then I think he's had his chance (2 years) and then you cut bait and let Mike Hohensee do the fishing. After the game with Missouri Western (Griffs should have won) the Bearcats look like they can be had (poor qb play and a defense that's gone missing).

Comment

• Originally posted by Kiss My Ass View Post
                                If Braden Wright can't get it together in a BIG way this year, then I think he's had his chance (2 years) and then you cut bait and let Mike Hohensee do the fishing. After the game with Missouri Western (Griffs should have won) the Bearcats look like they can be had (poor qb play and a defense that's gone missing).
                                when 3/4 starting DB's go down - the secondary is going to get burnt, and they did. A good portion of MW's offensive yardage was a big plays plays. I have faith the HCRW will get that side of the ball straightened out. I don't have as much faith in the OC's - but they always say that the biggest improvement is between the first and second games. I for one am VERY glad that this game is on Saturday, I like having the extra couple of days to heal up and improve! They need it!

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X