Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why are some MIAA schools fighting so hard to keep silo scheduling?

Collapse

Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by GorillaBred View Post

Spending narratives are always going to exist because of the completely non-uniform way this stuff gets reported. Even discounting things like PO travel or PO gameday expenses, NW likely does spend on the high side of the conference, but it isn't an outlier and it definitely isn't an outlier that makes it appear to be a candidate for FCS.
    Right. Someone will be the highest. Someone will be the lowest. I was also interested in the institutional differences in football spending v. athletic spending.

Comment

I know the northwestern does not belong in FCS does not have access to a major metro area that is almost requirement to make that happen for financial reasons.

I also want to apologize for my assertion that Northwest to spending or as a larger budget after seeing those numbers I realize I had put grand valley's 14 million in my mind as northwestern's.

?????Outside of football nsu has done decent in miaa yes. But football has been a disaster. And there has been many factors . Silo being one of them for many reasons.

There are factors that weigh in Oklahoma against us that don't in Kansas and Missouri .which is part if uco struggles ad well Should we be in gac yes But that boat sailed . We are here

Silo does hurt us in recruiting in Texas absolutely . The mom and dad watch my game factor . The Kansas schools don't notice they just get a bunch of oklahoma kids lol

But Brandon it isn't just nsu. It's all of the teams that get stuck in bottom half. Silo just weighs on you and there is no relief . That's why five teams have left in ten years to another conference and most have done well football isn't a sport it's a block party for your school and if it isn't good your whole school suffers. But it is our problem not yours. But everybody knows what effects one or two schools will trickle up to all schools . Playing nsu and moso and lincoln does not cost you championships. It actually helps you by building depth .

I have been against silo from day one. Where we are heading as a conf is the result I was afraid off I wish I could find those posts but the truth is we are not the sec of d2 we aren't getting to byes and home field . Same region as gliac is brutal and hurting but slowly but surely the gac and glvc are getting better there will be a day we only get one in po and that is what it will take to end silo .

I love d2. I would rather d2 my saturday than havehfree sesason tickets to OU . I grew up in far ne ok . A Pitt state admirer. I want what is best for the miaa. Silo is not it

Comment

Originally posted by the Northeasterner View Post
        I know the northwestern does not belong in FCS does not have access to a major metro area that is almost requirement to make that happen for financial reasons.

I also want to apologize for my assertion that Northwest to spending or as a larger budget after seeing those numbers I realize I had put grand valley's 14 million in my mind as northwestern's.

?????Outside of football nsu has done decent in miaa yes. But football has been a disaster. And there has been many factors . Silo being one of them for many reasons.

There are factors that weigh in Oklahoma against us that don't in Kansas and Missouri .which is part if uco struggles ad well Should we be in gac yes But that boat sailed . We are here

Silo does hurt us in recruiting in Texas absolutely . The mom and dad watch my game factor . The Kansas schools don't notice they just get a bunch of oklahoma kids lol

But Brandon it isn't just nsu. It's all of the teams that get stuck in bottom half. Silo just weighs on you and there is no relief . That's why five teams have left in ten years to another conference and most have done well football isn't a sport it's a block party for your school and if it isn't good your whole school suffers. But it is our problem not yours. But everybody knows what effects one or two schools will trickle up to all schools . Playing nsu and moso and lincoln does not cost you championships. It actually helps you by building depth .

I have been against silo from day one. Where we are heading as a conf is the result I was afraid off I wish I could find those posts but the truth is we are not the sec of d2 we aren't getting to byes and home field . Same region as gliac is brutal and hurting but slowly but surely the gac and glvc are getting better there will be a day we only get one in po and that is what it will take to end silo .

I love d2. I would rather d2 my saturday than havehfree sesason tickets to OU . I grew up in far ne ok . A Pitt state admirer. I want what is best for the miaa. Silo is not it
        I don't think silo had anything to do with those schools leaving. I think, as the MIAA moved west, the eastern most schools wanted out. That and Omaha went D1 and dropped football, which also had nothing to do with silo.

Comment

You know I'm 100% against the current schedule right?

Comment

I think getting rid of the Arrowhead game might help Pitt with scheduling. I know in the past, they couldn't offer home and homes in some years due to contracts with box owners. I hope that translates to better opponents for Pitt if they go back to non con games in the futures.

Comment

Originally posted by Brandon View Post
              You know I'm 100% against the current schedule right?
              I believe you have made your position absolutely clear on the issue.

Comment

Originally posted by Randy View Post

I believe you have made your position absolutely clear on the issue.
                Thanks Randy. That was for Northeastern!

Comment

Brandon I've seen you switch to non silo over last few years. As most posters have. It's a few who haven't that still I am trying to .convince .

Now most don't agree on why they should . Lol

The five that left . Msst .Truman swbapt and Lincoln did not leave because of geographic shift. They left because they were tired of the destruction of thier football programs . I know Lincoln came back but they effectively left for four years . Lindenwood left because if thier long term goals can't be achieved in miaa

???Does it do any good for miaa for nsu moso and lincoln football to be bad . No . What's easiest way to get them to get to 2-9 or better records . End silo .

Po numbers. What's better every team 3-9 or better playing non con. Or Three teams 0-11, 1-10, ,2-9 . Playing silo. I don't know. If do someone does please let me know
                  Last edited by the Northeasterner; 11-25-2019, 06:34 PM.

Comment

Brandon I've seen you switch to non silo over last few years. As most posters have. It's a few who haven't that still I am trying to .convince .

Now most don't agree on why they should . Lol

The five that left . Msst .Truman swbapt and Lincoln did not leave because of geographic shift. They left because they were tired of the destruction of thier football programs . I know Lincoln came back but they effectively left for four years . Lindenwood left because if thier long term goals can't be achieved in miaa

???Does it do any good for miaa for nsu moso and lincoln football to be bad . No . What's easiest way to get them to get to 2-9 or better records . End silo .

Po numbers. What's better every team 3-9 or better playing non con. Or Three teams 0-11, 1-10, ,2-9 . Playing silo. I don't know. If do someone does please let me know

Comment

Brandon I've seen you switch to non silo over last few years.
                      Just for the record, I have always been against it.

Comment

Then I sincerely apologise . For I hold you in high regard.

Comment

The five that left . Msst .Truman swbapt and Lincoln did not leave because of geographic shift. They left because they were tired of the destruction of thier football programs
                          As someone who had conversations with athletic leadership during the MIAA to GLVC shift, I can assure you this was not the case for Truman. Yes, football struggled in the MIAA after the University's core mission switch from a purely directional university to a highly-selective liberal arts university, but the reason Truman left the league was because of the geographical additions to the league way, way out west. For Truman, the opportunity to substitute a handful of routine 4-5 hour trips for a handful of routine trips to St. Louis, Kansas City, and west/central Illinois was a budget no-brainer at a time that the Missouri legislature was slashing public school budgets across the board. The long trips that were replaced with Chicago, Indianapolis and Louisville were all essentially the same amount of time it took to get to Kearney, Hays and Tahlequah. And, Truman actually has alums in, and recruits from, those first three places.

The GLVC also presented smart scheduling options (and more conference-sponsored sport options), as opposed to Truman basketball teams making a one-way trip all the way out to Hays in the middle of the week to play one game and then come back home. This was just a week or two after doing the exact same thing for a midweek game in Pittsburg. I remember this example specifically as one the AD mentioned at the time.

Did Truman benefit in football from a move to the GLVC? Obviously. But as someone who played in the MIAA and was looking for answers back in 2012/2013 when Truman made the move, I was sufficiently swayed when the numbers were laid out for the betterment of the entire athletic department and university.

Comment

Originally posted by BulldogLB View Post
                            I would love it if the GAC and MIAA both agreed to schedule games against each other. It would definitely help clear up some region 3 playoff questions every year.
                            Remember, much of the GAC was in the GSC, and many of those schools never even sniffed the playoffs. They formed the GAC, and now they are making the playoffs each year. Are they going to schedule tougher regular season games and jeopardize their playoff chances?

Comment

Originally posted by TSU_Mike59 View Post

As someone who had conversations with athletic leadership during the MIAA to GLVC shift, I can assure you this was not the case for Truman. Yes, football struggled in the MIAA after the University's core mission switch from a purely directional university to a highly-selective liberal arts university, but the reason Truman left the league was because of the geographical additions to the league way, way out west. For Truman, the opportunity to substitute a handful of routine 4-5 hour trips for a handful of routine trips to St. Louis, Kansas City, and west/central Illinois was a budget no-brainer at a time that the Missouri legislature was slashing public school budgets across the board. The long trips that were replaced with Chicago, Indianapolis and Louisville were all essentially the same amount of time it took to get to Kearney, Hays and Tahlequah. And, Truman actually has alums in, and recruits from, those first three places.

The GLVC also presented smart scheduling options (and more conference-sponsored sport options), as opposed to Truman basketball teams making a one-way trip all the way out to Hays in the middle of the week to play one game and then come back home. This was just a week or two after doing the exact same thing for a midweek game in Pittsburg. I remember this example specifically as one the AD mentioned at the time.

Did Truman benefit in football from a move to the GLVC? Obviously. But as someone who played in the MIAA and was looking for answers back in 2012/2013 when Truman made the move, I was sufficiently swayed when the numbers were laid out for the betterment of the entire athletic department and university.
                              These types of decisions are almost always driven by money. When my daughter was looking at GLVC schools I took a look at the travel (from KC) and was very surprised the trips weren't long from KC, Truman would be even better positioned for travel to the eastern GLVC schools, especially with Bellarmine moving up.

Comment

[QUOTE=Rational Observer;n459426]

Remember, much of the GAC was in the GSC, and many of those schools never even sniffed the playoffs. They formed the GAC, and now they are making the playoffs each year. Are they going to schedule tougher regular season games and jeopardize their playoff chances?[/QUOTE

Two things on this . The ark schools did comparibly well getgettingbinti po and remember there were less teams making .Po . . In the gsc. Ar tech, henderson oachita and sau( I think ) came into the gac with po games under thier belts in the '00s . I went to a tech po game in Russellville . And that was when una Delta and Valdosta we're all three just top level schools. The gsc schedule was set up to where they still played non conference schools and sometimes you only got one or two of murders row each year . And while conference did ok. The ark schools left because of travel costs esp in non football .

That's why are schools have dominated gac they came in healthy. The lone star just stripped the ok schools bare and they haven't recovered

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X