Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Brandon View Post

For all...exactly the same depending on how they reported money.

The revenues/expenses list is the number that includes everything.
    That's what I'm asking. Does it say somewhere what the football expense monies include?

Sorry if it's a dumb question, I don't know much about how schools report other than I have heard that none are the same.

Comment

Originally posted by Predatory Primates View Post

That's what I'm asking. Does it say somewhere what the football expense monies include?

Sorry if it's a dumb question, I don't know much about how schools report other than I have heard that none are the same.
      Things like hotels, meals, buses, etc.

Comment

Go Bearcats!
        M-I-Z-Z-O-U!

Comment

I bet the reason their number is so high that year was a donation for the endzone facility.

Comment

That's the operating budget.

Does not include coaches' salaries, scholarships, etc.

I think Northwest was next on the list after Emporia.

Comment

How does Booster Club money figure in on these figures ?
              Luck is where Preparation meets Opportunity

Comment

Things like hotels, meals, buses, etc.
                Gotcha. Like consumables.

Comment

You mean like gameday stuff?

Comment

Without looking, my guess would be these are full-time equivalent, rather than total head count, so 2 or 3 part-time students (or more) would only count as one FTE.

Comment

I assume you got your figures from the Equity in Athletics site? The most important thing to remember about that site is that not all schools report the same way.

An example of expenses would be security at games. One school could count that as a football expense, another could see it as a department expense (not allocated by Gender/Sport in the report), and another one could see it as a university expense (wouldn't show up at all in this report).

Another could be "multi-use" facilities. I'm not saying they are but the big indoor facilities like at Pitt State, MWSU, NWMSU could all be counted differently in the expenses. One place could break it down by percentage of use by each sport, one could divide it evenly by every program, one could just say that it's the general responsibility of the department, or one could say that it's a partnership with another entity and not even report that expense.

Another area that could make a difference is how scholarships are counted. There are some waivers that might need to be accounted for when reporting to the NCAA but maybe not to this report since they would not be actual cash involved.

And like Brandon said there could be one time expenditures that skew the data - like UCO's endzone facility that he mentioned.

Overall it's probably the best place to find this kind of information but you need to remember that not everything is created equal.

Comment

One other thing I didn't add - it looks like the data that Brandon used is from 2017 - which is the most recent data available. If I recall correctly the information has to be submitted by October 31 of the following year. That way you have a full school year to work with all sports and I think most schools work on a July to June fiscal year.

Comment

The site that was used for the figures is pretty cool and you can do a lot of stuff with it.
                          I went through and collected football expenses for all 12 MIAA schools from 2014-17. I used those years because they were the most recent ones and I started at 2014 since that is when we started playing a full silo schedule.
                          If I figured things correctly here is the cost per win over that time:
                          School Cost/win
                          UCO 29,198.77
                          NWMSU 29,903.39
                          ESU 30,965.28
                          MWSU 31,309.67
                          PSU 32,183.22
                          WU 33,173.57
                          UCM 42,016.35
                          FHSU 52,397.21
                          MSSU 97,212.71
                          UNK 114,082.29
                          LWU 120,450.58
                          NSU 195,363.00
                          And here are the total wins in that time
                          School Wins
                          NWMSU 49
                          FHSU 34
                          UCM 34
                          ESU 32
                          PSU 32
                          UCO 26
                          WU 23
                          MWSU 21
                          LWU 12
                          UNK 7
                          MSSU 7
                          NSU 6
                          Again I realize that the way the numbers are used for each school are different but it looks to me like NWMSU, ESU and PSU are the only teams that averaged at least seven wins a game over that four year period and spent less than $40,000 per win to get there.

Comment

Originally posted by GrifFan View Post

Without looking, my guess would be these are full-time equivalent, rather than total head count, so 2 or 3 part-time students (or more) would only count as one FTE.
                            I believe that is correct.

Comment

Originally posted by Hornetfan View Post
                              I assume you got your figures from the Equity in Athletics site? The most important thing to remember about that site is that not all schools report the same way
                              Absolutely. It's the closest we can come without spending thousands of dollars in research and FOI filings.

Comment

Thanks for the fun research Hornetfan.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X