• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Partridge Right or Wrong?

Originally posted by Predatory Primates View Post
    Was he taking graduate classes at NW?
    Yes, he was a grad transfer.

Originally posted by JR Chaney View Post
    I think this is a reach. From what I saw after the MoWest game, not all the teammates from MoWest had an issue with him. He seemed like a great kid, he got to play for 2 programs, made some friends, and most importantly he got a piece of paper that will help him in life.
    This is probably accurate - I doubt his teammates cared as much as coaches/fans/etc. From all accounts he's a good person and a good student and should be successful in life.

Comment

Originally posted by GrifFan View Post
      None of us really knows what happened that led to Caldwell's departure/dismissal from the team. Without knowing that, it's impossible to say whether Missouri Western's decision was a good one or a bad one.

Certainly from a football perspective, he was very talented: an all-region, maybe All-American caliber performer. If he had continued to play for the Griffons last year and this year and matched his career averages, he would have been the all-time leader in rushing touchdowns, and second only behind Michael Hill in rushing and all-purpose yards. But we had a pretty good collection of backs this year without him; while his addition would have improved the position, and that may have led to even better rushing stats, I don't think that would have resulted in many (or any?) more wins.

From the Northwest perspective, of course it was a good decision. It just didn't have much of an impact, at least by Bearcat standards.

He went from one of the all-time greats at Missouri Western to a footnote in one of Northwest's most forgettable seasons of the last 20 years.* Only he can answer whether the shared conference championship game and two playoff games were a good trade-off.

*To save the snark, yes, that says something about where both programs are at.

Comment

What does graduating have to do with being a team cancer? I absolutely bet his MW teammates cared. All of them? Probably not, but I'd imagine quite a few did. Namely probably his Oline. He cut and ran. Most likely an ego thing. If the coaches were at fault they would have lost the team. Board is thinking about this from a) a NW perspective. b) not from a college kids perspective.

Comment

Originally posted by HookemHerd View Post
          What does graduating have to do with being a team cancer? I absolutely bet his MW teammates cared. All of them? Probably not, but I'd imagine quite a few did. Namely probably his Oline. He cut and ran. Most likely an ego thing. If the coaches were at fault they would have lost the team. Board is thinking about this from a) a NW perspective. b) not from a college kids perspective.
          MoWest was 6-5. They struggled with penalties, they had 387 yards more in penalties than the next to last team. Who's to say they didn't lose the team?

Comment

Originally posted by TDs&Beer View Post
            MoWest was 6-5. They struggled with penalties, they had 387 yards more in penalties than the next to last team. Who's to say they didn't lose the team?
            Flipped their record from 4-7 to 7-5 with a bowl win. I don't think you do that unless the kids buy in. Penalties I don't think you can directly correlate to losing the team either.

Comment

Originally posted by HookemHerd View Post
              I may be remembering the articles wrong but I'm pretty sure the coaches tried to spin it as a "mutual" decision to have him leave the team. Josh replied that if it was up to him he would still be on the team at the time.

Comment

Originally posted by NewCatEyez View Post
                I may be remembering the articles wrong but I'm pretty sure the coaches tried to spin it as a "mutual" decision to have him leave the team. Josh replied that if it was up to him he would still be on the team at the time.
                Mutual, as in your distraction is outweighing your talent, not gonna beg you to stay.

Comment

Josh Caldwell looked a 100% at UCM the last game of the regular season. Josh had 207 total yards. He rushed for 183 yards on 15 carries with a long of 46 yards for an average of 12 yards per carry and 3 touchdowns. He had 2 pass receptions for 24 yards. The guy was a beast. To bad he wasn't healthy the whole year.

Comment

Originally posted by Kiss My Ass View Post
                    Josh Caldwell looked a 100% at UCM the last game of the regular season. Josh had 207 total yards. He rushed for 183 yards on 15 carries with a long of 46 yards for an average of 12 yards per carry and 3 touchdowns. He had 2 pass receptions for 24 yards. The guy was a beast. To bad he wasn't healthy the whole year.
                    Yea, but the UCM defense was pretty bad as well. How that UCM baseball squad going to be this year?

Comment

Originally posted by GreenwoodBearcat View Post
                      Yea, but the UCM defense was pretty bad as well. How that UCM baseball squad going to be this year?
                      True about the 2018 Mules defense. Lots of young guys played last year on defense and they lost a couple of veteran starters to preseason injuries. Should be much improved in 2019 or it will be time for defensive coordinator Wes Bell to take his 3-4 defense and find another job. The Mules need to recruit 4 big studs for the defensive line like the Bearcats have every year.

Mules baseball is always good and will be again this coming season. But, the conference is getting more competitive in baseball and it's no longer just UCM and Emporia dominating. Last year Northwest tied with UCO for the regular season title and there were 4 teams within a game of each other at the top. The Mules went the farthest in post season play and NW tanked in the conference tournament and didn't make the regional. Should be an exciting baseball season with the added mystic of the Emporia coach moving to Pitt State and a former UCM catcher becoming the head coach at Emporia.

Comment

Hey, isn't GreenwoodBearcat the old buzzard from Maryville who was a famous pitcher for UCM back in the 1950's? My grandpa used to talk about him and I'm pretty sure his real name is something like Spitball McNasty.
                        Last edited by Shanghai Mule; 12-21-2018, 12:41 PM.

Comment

I thought he was a knuckle baller?

Comment

Originally posted by NW Normal View Post
                            I thought he was a knuckle baller?
                            He was famous for his vagisil slider.

Comment

The injury was definitely a factor. NOt sure how much his style fit at NW compared to MW in terms of the types of blocking schemes/offensive philosophies of the 2 schools.

Comment

Originally posted by Predatory Primates View Post
                                The injury was definitely a factor. NOt sure how much his style fit at NW compared to MW in terms of the types of blocking schemes/offensive philosophies of the 2 schools.
                                MW had superior OL

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X