Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

MIAA football season suspended !

Collapse

Support The Site!

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Originally posted by chapmaja View Post

    I think you are absolutely 100% correct. The decision made by the NCAA have made it impossible for smaller schools to continue athletics and meet the requirements set forth by the NCAA (and in some areas local health departments).

    I think there is a lot more to this than just the idea of COVID-19 contact with players. I know in Michigan, certain aspects of school sports are not yet available. For example High School volleyball teams (and I think college teams as well), are prohibited from practicing indoors at this time due to an order by the governor. It is a bit difficult to play when you can't practice properly. I know summer weight training has been limited to outdoors only for high schools and likely colleges as well. Another two semester college sport (swimming and diving), can't practice indoors right now, as all indoor pools are closed in Michigan.

    Colleges are likely running into more issues with health department regulations than they are with anything else. With most conferences crossing state lines, you have to consider all members of the conference and what they are capable of doing.
    Exactly! Just dropped my daughter off for her Freshman year @ a BIG10 school and it’s a complete clusterf%#k to say the least. Threat of liability coupled with layers of bureaucracy are HUGE challenges for the universities.

    Comment


    • #17
      https://twitter.com/i/status/1295543799654096896
      Go Hounds!
      B-E-A-R-C-A-T-S
      Cyclone Power

      Comment


      • #18
        That. Was. Awesome!

        Comment


        • #19
          CDC now admits only about 9200 people who died of CoVid19 had no health or age related issues. The economy and sports etc were shut down for this. There was no reason not to have football this fall. It probably made sense at the time to suspend basketball as they were still trying to figure things out.

          Comment


          • #20
            That’s not at all what they say...

            Comment


            • #21
              They say 6% had only Covid listed as cause of death. Not ARDS or heart failure that are directly caused by Covid.

              Comment


              • #22
                No, those aren’t health or age related issues, those are issues from Covid. Implying Covid isn’t really what was killing 94% of patients, when that isn’t the case.

                Kids are low risk, but don’t live in a bubble, and very easily transmit, at least Over 10 year olds.

                Comment


                • #23
                  pffft.
                  republican governor - all is well.
                  democrat governor - sky is falling.
                  if you can't fig it out & string them both up you're probably part of the problem.

                  meanwhile it's become increasingly apparent those that are high risk in terms of dying have other issues (old/tangential health issues).

                  everyone wear a mask, life needs to move on & activities need to resume, those that are high risk need to stay home until this runs its course/vaccine, which they are anyway.
                  Go Bearcats!
                  M-I-Z-Z-O-U!

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    The point is that c. 94% of those that died from Covid already had other underlying health issues while only c. 6% of those that died had no underlying health issues. My wife and I have 3 underlying health issues each while our kids and grandkids have none. Good for them bad for us but these facts do not support the drastic measures taken imho.

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      Again, that is not what that means. Look at this way. A man was in a car accident, hit his head on the steering wheel, lost consciousness, serious head injury. While in the ER he suffered from cardiac arrest and fell into a coma. Later developed an infection. What killed him? All of it, but mainly the car accident.

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        I like how people talk big until it happens to them...Have yet to see one person on any news channel (including FOX) that got actually got really sick from COVID laying in a hospital bed saying, "If it weren't for that darn underlying health condition that I was getting along just fine with before I caught the coronavirus. Oh well, sh!t happens...everyone carry on!"

                        It also amuses me that the anti-maskers, anti-directed health measures, anti-etc. etc. are the same ones now b!tching and moaning because there's no football...what you are too dense to comprehend is that if you (and those like you) would have just worn the effing mask, stayed home and listened to the doctors and scientists instead of the politicians all summer long when you had the chance, we'd probably have football right now. So thanks for that, @-holes!

                        As for me, I'd rather be watching football this weekend, but I guess I'll have to settle for a little camping and some social-distancing at the gun range.
                        Last edited by GoCatsGo5; 09-01-2020, 10:22 PM.

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          Originally posted by GorillaTeacher View Post
                          Again, that is not what that means. Look at this way. A man was in a car accident, hit his head on the steering wheel, lost consciousness, serious head injury. While in the ER he suffered from cardiac arrest and fell into a coma. Later developed an infection. What killed him? All of it, but mainly the car accident.
                          No, the infection killed him. The other pieces are contributing factors as to why he got the infection, and would help explain why the infection was so hard to fight off, but ultimately the infection killed him.

                          It would be like saying his roommate caused his death. His roommate drank his milk, he drove to the store to get more, he got in a car accident, suffered cardiac arrest, got an infection - and then died. Had his roommate not drank his milk, he'd still be alive.

                          Comment


                          • #28
                            Originally posted by GoCatsGo5 View Post
                            I like how people talk big until it happens to them...Have yet to see one person on any news channel (including FOX) that got actually got really sick from COVID laying in a hospital bed saying, "If it weren't for that darn underlying health condition that I was getting along just fine with before I caught the coronavirus. Oh well, sh!t happens...everyone carry on!"

                            It also amuses me that the anti-maskers, anti-directed health measures, anti-etc. etc. are the same ones now b!tching and moaning because there's no football...what you are too dense to comprehend is that if you (and those like you) would have just worn the effing mask, stayed home and listened to the doctors and scientists instead of the politicians all summer long when you had the chance, we'd probably have football right now. So thanks for that, @-holes!

                            As for me, I'd rather be watching football this weekend, but I guess I'll have to settle for a little camping and some social-distancing at the gun range.
                            Society has the collective mental capacity of your average 5 year old. We can't be told "no."

                            We want the ice cream, but didn't want to do the chore to get it. Now we can't have the ice cream and instead of working to get ice cream the next time, we're throwing tantrums about not getting the ice cream this time. We're digging our heels into the sand, ultimately prolonging the ice cream until someone else does the chore for us.

                            Not to mention the ridiculous idea that the pandemic is a liberal hoax put in place simply to make people's lives miserable for no reason, except "liberals = bad." That's the most coherent those discussions get. Conspiracy thinking has become much more mainstream in the past 4-5 years, on both sides of the political spectrum. Yes, people should question what they're told. No, not everything people are told is a hoax intended to implant a new narrative into society. Sometimes a pandemic is literally just a pandemic.

                            Comment


                            • #29
                              Originally posted by SW_Mustang View Post

                              Society has the collective mental capacity of your average 5 year old. We can't be told "no."

                              We want the ice cream, but didn't want to do the chore to get it. Now we can't have the ice cream and instead of working to get ice cream the next time, we're throwing tantrums about not getting the ice cream this time. We're digging our heels into the sand, ultimately prolonging the ice cream until someone else does the chore for us.

                              Not to mention the ridiculous idea that the pandemic is a liberal hoax put in place simply to make people's lives miserable for no reason, except "liberals = bad." That's the most coherent those discussions get. Conspiracy thinking has become much more mainstream in the past 4-5 years, on both sides of the political spectrum. Yes, people should question what they're told. No, not everything people are told is a hoax intended to implant a new narrative into society. Sometimes a pandemic is literally just a pandemic.
                              I agree. We are all so caught up in not having our fix on football that we forget the ramifications for the young players. I know a young man that is a Nebraska lineman that had/has covid. Now he is told that he more than likely have heart problems and will need to be checked often the rest of his life. Us old men can do without a season of football until it is safe for the players. By the way I came up positive for covid a month ago. An individual didn't want to wear a mask and spread it to me and my wife. We were both wearing our masks. It is nothing to mess with. And the worst thing about it is that there is nothing they can tell you or give you. You just hope it does not attack your heart or lungs. Because there is no treatment, NOTHING.
                              Luck is where Preparation meets Opportunity

                              Comment


                              • #30
                                Originally posted by voicefromthestands View Post

                                I agree. We are all so caught up in not having our fix on football that we forget the ramifications for the young players. I know a young man that is a Nebraska lineman that had/has covid. Now he is told that he more than likely have heart problems and will need to be checked often the rest of his life. Us old men can do without a season of football until it is safe for the players. By the way I came up positive for covid a month ago. An individual didn't want to wear a mask and spread it to me and my wife. We were both wearing our masks. It is nothing to mess with. And the worst thing about it is that there is nothing they can tell you or give you. You just hope it does not attack your heart or lungs. Because there is no treatment, NOTHING.
                                Wow - that's pretty scary. I've been seeing more and more reports of healthy individuals having heart issues because of this. I've been fortunate that I've been secluded in my office and can control when/where I want to go somewhere, but the childish mentality of people who refuse to wear masks is really sad. It's literally just a piece of cloth - it's not a government takeover.

                                Had we had our adult hats on in the early stages, we very well could be enjoying some safe football right now - but instead, we had to throw a tantrum and now I can't watch football because of it. It's not the government's fault we don't have football, nor is it the schools', this one is on our inability to grow up for once.

                                Comment

                                Ad3

                                Collapse
                                Working...
                                X