Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Since 2000

Who do you think is the best player from each MIAA school since 2000?

I am curious to see how much variance there is in everyone's answers since even the lowest performing teams have had a few stars in the last 20 years or so.

Re: Since 2000

Originally posted by NewmanAndDuquesne View Post
    Who do you think is the best player from each MIAA school since 2000?

I am curious to see how much variance there is in everyone's answers since even the lowest performing teams have had a few stars in the last 20 years or so.
    Josh Chapman form Southern was a stud. He was fun to watch.
    Cool Story Bro

Comment

Top three candidates from Emporia State (in yearly order):
      Dontaye McCoy, Safety, 1999-2002 MIAA Defensive MVP and a Harlon Hill Candidate as a senior; 3x first-team All-MIAA and second-team as a freshman. ESU went 9-3 his senior year.
      Brent Wilson, QB, 2012-15 MIAA Offensive MVP and Harlon Hill finalist as a senior; went 22-6 as a starter at QB; ESU went 11-3 and was in regional championship game his senor year.
      Braxton Marstall, QB, 2014-18 MIAA Offensive MVP and Harlon Hill finalist as a senior; went 26-11 as a starter at QB' ESU went 11-2 and won a playoff game his sophomore year, went 8-4 and won bowl game his senior year.

To me it's a toss up between the two QBs. Dontaye was a great defensive player but by being a safety he didn't have the same impact on a game that Brent or Braxton did. Kind of like having vintage Eric Barry or Patrick Mahomes.

Comment

Originally posted by Hornetfan View Post
        Top three candidates from Emporia State (in yearly order):
        Dontaye McCoy, Safety, 1999-2002 MIAA Defensive MVP and a Harlon Hill Candidate as a senior; 3x first-team All-MIAA and second-team as a freshman. ESU went 9-3 his senior year.
        Brent Wilson, QB, 2012-15 MIAA Offensive MVP and Harlon Hill finalist as a senior; went 22-6 as a starter at QB; ESU went 11-3 and was in regional championship game his senor year.
        Braxton Marstall, QB, 2014-18 MIAA Offensive MVP and Harlon Hill finalist as a senior; went 26-11 as a starter at QB' ESU went 11-2 and won a playoff game his sophomore year, went 8-4 and won bowl game his senior year.

To me it's a toss up between the two QBs. Dontaye was a great defensive player but by being a safety he didn't have the same impact on a game that Brent or Braxton did. Kind of like having vintage Eric Barry or Patrick Mahomes.
        From my view, it's not like comparing Eric Barry to Patrick Mahomes. It would be more like comparing Ed Reed to Alex Smith.

I would pick McCoy among those three.

Comment

My personal 3, in no particular order:

Seth Wand
          Xavier Omon
          A healthy Jake Soy

Honorable Mentions:
          Dave Tollefson
          Jamaica Rector
          Blake Bolles
          Healthy Collin Bevins, hell even hobbled he was better than everyone.

Comment

Xavier Omon
            Matt Longacre

Comment

Before trying to wade into other schools:
              John Brown (can he be all three and just make everyone else HM?)
              Neal Philpot
              Nate Dreiling

HMs:
              Aaron McConnell
              Germaine Race
              Chad Weeks

I'm surprised to see Marstall in the same conversation as Wilson for ESU. One inspired fear in opponents, one did not.

Comment

Also, NW should have a DL category and an All Other Positions category. Their fans' lists would make more sense that way.

Comment

Zuerlein's the obvious choice for Missouri Western as far as the player who excelled at his position. I've never heard anything quite like the boom of the ball off his foot. 9-9 from 50+, 21 straight FGs made, heading into his 8th NFL season, etc. But for those who don't think kickers are football players, or that one year at the school isn't enough, some other nominees:

RB Michael Hill, all-time leading rusher, MIAA Offensive POTY in 2012
                  TE Gijon Robinson, 3-time all-MIAA, HM All-American, played in a Super Bowl
                  DE David Bass, Upshaw finalist, first Griffon invited to the NFL Combine, had a pick 6 for the Bears
                  OL Roger Allen, started all 48 games in his career, Little All-American, saw action for a couple of NFL seasons

There are others - including Zuerlein, there are five Griffons on NFL rosters heading in to camp, and there were several from earlier seasons that didn't get an opportunity. But my choice would probably be one of the above.

Comment

Lindenwood candidates-
                    Pierre Desir
                    Connor Harris
                    Cool Story Bro

Comment

John Brown
                      Germaine Race
                      Neal Philpot
                      Nate Dreiling
                      Last edited by cbgorilla; 07-25-2019, 05:48 AM.
                      Sent from my GorillaPad

Comment

Originally posted by bigsig50 View Post
                        Lindenwood candidates-
                        Pierre Desir
                        Connor Harris
                        I know tackles are often a bs stat, but Harris was everywhere.

Comment

Originally posted by GrifFan View Post
                          Zuerlein's the obvious choice for Missouri Western as far as the player who excelled at his position. I've never heard anything quite like the boom of the ball off his foot. 9-9 from 50+, 21 straight FGs made, heading into his 8th NFL season, etc. But for those who don't think kickers are football players, or that one year at the school isn't enough, some other nominees:

RB Michael Hill, all-time leading rusher, MIAA Offensive POTY in 2012
                          TE Gijon Robinson, 3-time all-MIAA, HM All-American, played in a Super Bowl
                          DE David Bass, Upshaw finalist, first Griffon invited to the NFL Combine, had a pick 6 for the Bears
                          OL Roger Allen, started all 48 games in his career, Little All-American, saw action for a couple of NFL seasons

There are others - including Zuerlein, there are five Griffons on NFL rosters heading in to camp, and there were several from earlier seasons that didn't get an opportunity. But my choice would probably be one of the above.

Comment

Tony Miles, one tough little Texan! Oops, he was before 2000.

Ok, how about LaRon Council. Coming back from broken leg to play big role in 2009 season.
                            Last edited by NW Normal; 07-25-2019, 08:51 AM.

Comment

He definitely belongs. Sometimes I overlook the more recent guys.

If I had to pick one, it would probably be Allen.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X