Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Pure cool View Post

Yikes!! I didn't mean to bring consternation to the board. 1,000 apologies. I like D2 football. My whole point was programs are going "here and there" and when one looks at the MIAA, there are many talented teams in football, basketball, baseball, volleyball, softball, tennis, etc, etc, The D1 landscape is changing daily with "super conferences" and I thought the mid-tier D1 conferences, for survival sakes, would try to pilfer D2 teams. sorry if I offended anyone.
    You need not worry, your actions have not engendered any consternation. It’s a moot point though, nobody is going D1 around here. Although I don’t disagree that some of us could compete with some of the D1 schools. All the ancillary things that come with going D1 would keep it from becoming a thing.

Comment

Originally posted by Predatory Primates View Post

UNK has the size and location to do it, but the NU loving morons up there would close the whole school down before they would let that happen.
      Barry Alvarez an ex-Husker, now AD at Wisconsin made sure that all state football programs are D3 non-scholarship teams as to not compete with Whisky. Wisconsin is rich recruiting grounds for the NSIC. Yeah NE. legislators would never allow an FCS program to compete with little red.

Comment

UNK has the size and location to do it, but the NU loving morons up there would close the whole school down before they would let that happen.
        They would have to have a scheduling exception to play only on days that UNL doesn’t play or there won’t be more than 3500 in attendance lol

its crazy how much of hold the huskers have on the entire state, I blame Osborne, for the good and the bad

Comment

It looks like the WAC could get left needing teams again with the ASUN expanding. UCO would be a good fit for them, especially if WT still doesn't want to go. I think there are other options for them as well, but I'd expect the WAC is reaching out to D2 schools again within the next couple years.

Comment

Originally posted by libertybearcat View Post

The NW to FCS has been suggested here before...NO WAY it happens. Costs are too high and there's no way NW could fund that additional $$$ on a consistent basis.
            With are coaching staff we would get spanked every game.

Comment

Yikes!! I didn't mean to bring consternation to the board. 1,000 apologies. I like D2 football. My whole point was programs are going "here and there" and when one looks at the MIAA, there are many talented teams in football, basketball, baseball, volleyball, softball, tennis, etc, etc, The D1 landscape is changing daily with "super conferences" and I thought the mid-tier D1 conferences, for survival sakes, would try to pilfer D2 teams. sorry if I offended anyone.
              most of these places are teachers colleges that lack the funding necessary to make it work.
              we'd (nwms) be aspiring to do something that isn't really a good fit.

on top of the 3/4ish increase in scholarships for football alone (not to mention other sports) there's the investment in facilities that would be necessary in order to compete. it just isn't feasible for most of us.

central oklahoma has invested in their facilities such that it's reasonable to suspect that this may be on the horizon for them. it usually is when you see a d2 school do what they've done recently.

it is always a topic, & will never stop coming up & it should be an ongoing discussion b/c things can & do change.

central missouri has been discussed in the past b/c of their larger enrollment - i'm not close enough to it but from afar they don't appear to have the financial commitment at this time anymore than the rest of us.

i think what you're seeing is a league in the miaa that's full of schools that are virtually all committed & able to compete in division 2 against the backdrop of a bunch of other leagues full of schools that don't have the commitment to compete at this level but are here anyway & that's skewing the perception of our potential. & so when they get filleted every november fans cry "move up" (often tongue in cheek) when they really should be talking about the lesser leagues stepping up or moving down.
              Go Bearcats!
              M-I-Z-Z-O-U!

Comment

Originally posted by northwest missouri state View Post

most of these places are teachers colleges that lack the funding necessary to make it work.
                we'd (nwms) be aspiring to do something that isn't really a good fit.

on top of the 3/4ish increase in scholarships for football alone (not to mention other sports) there's the investment in facilities that would be necessary in order to compete. it just isn't feasible for most of us.

central oklahoma has invested in their facilities such that it's reasonable to suspect that this may be on the horizon for them. it usually is when you see a d2 school do what they've done recently.

it is always a topic, & will never stop coming up & it should be an ongoing discussion b/c things can & do change.

central missouri has been discussed in the past b/c of their larger enrollment - i'm not close enough to it but from afar they don't appear to have the financial commitment at this time anymore than the rest of us.

i think what you're seeing is a league in the miaa that's full of schools that are virtually all committed & able to compete in division 2 against the backdrop of a bunch of other leagues full of schools that don't have the commitment to compete at this level but are here anyway & that's skewing the perception of our potential. & so when they get filleted every november fans cry "move up" (often tongue in cheek) when they really should be talking about the lesser leagues stepping up or moving down.
                That last paragraph is a pretty wide take.

wise*****
                Last edited by washeduptiger; 09-12-2023, 01:59 PM.

Comment

it is but those results drive perception that drives discussion.
                  Go Bearcats!
                  M-I-Z-Z-O-U!

Comment

Great academic discussions guys. I understand the $$$$ part of this. I approached this as a "SPORTS DOMINATION" angle. When you look at the stats, NWMO and PITT flat-out dominate most sports areas. I cannot see UCO doing anything at the FCS level because there is no way they ever compete with OU and OSU. Once people tire of OU and OSU, they move on to Tulsa Golden Hurricanes. I hate FBS going to the "Super conferences" of Big 10, SEC, and ACC where smaller schools have not shot at anything. I remember back in 2008, Ball State University was the "talk of the town" in making a "run" to a major bowl. I don't want to see those days end. I want to see a small university scare the living doo doo out of big university

Comment

Great academic discussions guys. I understand the $$$$ part of this. I approached this as a "SPORTS DOMINATION" angle. When you look at the stats, NWMO and PITT flat-out dominate most sports areas. I cannot see UCO doing anything at the FCS level because there is no way they ever compete with OU and OSU. Once people tire of OU and OSU, they move on to Tulsa Golden Hurricanes. I hate FBS going to the "Super conferences" of Big 10, SEC, and ACC where smaller schools have not shot at anything. I remember back in 2008, Ball State University was the "talk of the town" in making a "run" to a major bowl. I don't want to see those days end. I want to see a small university scare the living doo doo out of big university
                      So you think it more admirable to be a ball state and get talked about once every 6 decades than to be a NDSU and dominate at a level you can afford?

Comment

So you think it more admirable to be a ball state and get talked about once every 6 decades than to be a NDSU and dominate at a level you can afford?
                        Yes, quite frankly yes. I think any 18-year-old wants to see his or her team in an ESPN segment. Yes, I believe that.

Comment

Even though NDSU is regularly mentioned and gets on espn and they win. I believe it’s overstated. I think they want to win, and get a scholarship to play.

Comment

Originally posted by GorillaTeacher View Post
                            Even though NDSU is regularly mentioned and gets on espn and they win. I believe it’s overstated. I think they want to win, and get a scholarship to play.
                            There are definitely some who are fine with walking on at a p5 and never seeing a meaningful snap instead of winning at a lower level.

Comment

Yes, quite frankly yes. I think any 18-year-old wants to see his or her team in an ESPN segment. Yes, I believe that.
                              All of the MVFC games are on ESPN +, same as small FBS

Comment

Admirable, no. What the typical kid today wants, probably. Blame social media probably, being the hero for your hometown (or college town) doesn't mean what it used to, everybody wants their 15-seconds of fame on the TikTok now. Obviously there are plenty of exceptions, those are often the guys that make FCS and D2 great.

We should also note that very few FCS fans would use the word "admirable" in the same sentence as "NDSU". But they were dominant for a long while, and I won't fault anybody for being able to do that.

Last thought: There are about 1100 schools spread across 3 divisions. Football is less schools spread across 4 subdivisions, but in a competition that size, it's silly to think that every institution can set consistently contending for national titles as a standard. There's many on this board (especially a few in other regions) who struggle to grasp that a school would settle for anything less than national championships, but the nature of college sports is that for some schools, breaking .500 is going to be a good year. Very few schools have being an NDSU/SDSU as an option.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X