Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Humboldt State Football Entering Final Season

Originally posted by Highway Grill View Post
    Extremely sad news! Wouldn't be surprised if Western Oregon is next.
    I think WOU (and WOU athletics) is in a much better financial situation than Humboldt State, so I doubt dropping football is on anybody's radar right now. WOU also operates a bit differently than HSU. By all accounts, it sounds like the State of California wanted HSU to sustain itself through donoations, ticket sales, student fees, etc. (all external funds). That's an insane ask for a D2 school. Oregon doesn't operate that way and it's pretty understood state funds will go to support lower level state athletic programs. Sure, the state (or WOU) isn't going to fund a huge increase in football scholarships for the Wolves, but they aren't going to let them disappear, either.

Finally, I think the new AD is pretty adamant football remain around.

That's my way of saying I think WOU football is here to stay until other forces of nature force the school's hand (for instance, if you cannot play for a national title, what's the point of even having a program?). A conversation for another time...

Sucks it couldn't work at HSU.

Comment

Originally posted by red_bandwagon View Post
      I think WOU (and WOU athletics) is in a much better financial situation than Humboldt State, so I doubt dropping football is on anybody's radar right now. WOU also operates a bit differently than HSU. By all accounts, it sounds like the State of California wanted HSU to sustain itself through donoations, ticket sales, student fees, etc. (all external funds). That's an insane ask for a D2 school. Oregon doesn't operate that way and it's pretty understood state funds will go to support lower level state athletic programs. Sure, the state (or WOU) isn't going to fund a huge increase in football scholarships for the Wolves, but they aren't going to let them disappear, either.

Finally, I think the new AD is pretty adamant football remain around.

That's my way of saying I think WOU football is here to stay until other forces of nature force the school's hand (for instance, if you cannot play for a national title, what's the point of even having a program?). A conversation for another time...

Sucks it couldn't work at HSU.
      Great post, I like it when people from the school actually post what's going on at their school and know about it. I know little about how SFU works, so I don't post on whether they will keep or not keep football.

Regarding national title stuff: WOU never competed for a national title in NAIA football and no one in the GNAC has competed for a national title in football (CWU got to the semi-finals once); WOU and 90% of D2 schools haven't won D2 football titles or even other sports titles, so I think the purpose of having the sport is to provide opportunities for student-athletes and to have some cool activities for fans and alums to attend.

Comment

Originally posted by tsull View Post
        Great post, I like it when people from the school actually post what's going on at their school and know about it. I know little about how SFU works, so I don't post on whether they will keep or not keep football.

Regarding national title stuff: WOU never competed for a national title in NAIA football and no one in the GNAC has competed for a national title in football (CWU got to the semi-finals once); WOU and 90% of D2 schools haven't won D2 football titles or even other sports titles, so I think the purpose of having the sport is to provide opportunities for student-athletes and to have some cool activities for fans and alums to attend.
        I agree with the purpose. It's just a philosophical question. My guess is most D2 schools need the students and reside in states that support D2 athletics in some way, shape, or form. It's a moot point. That clearly wasn't the case in California. WWU was at the other end of the spectrum. They chose to drop the sport to increase support of other programs. A different philisophical question.

Just a couple of examples of how D2 football life is not easy. To succeed at a national level, a lot of factors need to come together, including some important factors completely out of your own control.

Comment

Re: Humboldt State will discontinue after 2018 season

LSC going to 10 teams, they're not adding Azusa over on the West Coast. The RMAC is full -- where in the hell are you getting this?
          Where do you get 10.teams for lsc?
          I have fat thumbs sorry for typos!

Comment

I agree with the purpose. It's just a philosophical question. My guess is most D2 schools need the students and reside in states that support D2 athletics in some way, shape, or form. It's a moot point. That clearly wasn't the case in California. WWU was at the other end of the spectrum. They chose to drop the sport to increase support of other programs. A different philisophical question.

Just a couple of examples of how D2 football life is not easy. To succeed at a national level, a lot of factors need to come together, including some important factors completely out of your own control.
            Great post. I just hope D2 football can add some teams in the west.

There is definitely a different attitude out west, as people in the last couple of months have practically been encouraging Western Oregon to drop the sport, or predicting they will drop the sport and it appears they are enthusiastically doing so. I read some of the other region's boards and they are all in this together. I'm greatly disappointed in the last couple of months of GNAC fans being happy about WOU or any program possibly being dropped. They will deny this, but their writing shows that they are hoping this happens.

Comment

I posted this in the General Discussion forum, it was meant for here:

The GNAC commish has been praised on this board. Will he be aggressive in meeting with potential future GNAC football-playing members? Your best bets are easy to find: SOU, EOU, College of Idaho, and Carroll College. The latter two are fully funded (24 scholarships) in the NAIA and have excellent facilities. EOU is in the sticks and might not be able to pull it off, but even they are building/fixing up some new facilities. SOU has been winning a lot of late (an NAIA title recently) and are on a freeway and in a nice location. Certainly for SOU and EOU I would think freeway trips to SoCal, Canada, Monmouth, and Ellensburg, are easier than one-way 18-hour, two-lane highway trips to Montana.

I'm guessing, but not sure, the annual volleyball, men's and women's hoop trips to Alaska, might be something they consider financially.
              They way I see things with adding SOU, EOU, CofI, and CC to the GNAC could actually reduce trips to Alaska. You would have 15 teams and can't play everyone twice. If you play 1.5 rotations of conference games it means a team could miss going to Alaska at least 1 time in 3 years. What would further reduce travel costs is to have the the basketball teams at each school play a mirror schedule. Currently, a school's basketball teams play in different places on the same night and with the mirror schedule they will travel together to play the same school every time.

Comment

Originally posted by Tech Boys View Post
                They way I see things with adding SOU, EOU, CofI, and CC to the GNAC could actually reduce trips to Alaska. You would have 15 teams and can't play everyone twice. If you play 1.5 rotations of conference games it means a team could miss going to Alaska at least 1 time in 3 years. What would further reduce travel costs is to have the the basketball teams at each school play a mirror schedule. Currently, a school's basketball teams play in different places on the same night and with the mirror schedule they will travel together to play the same school every time.
                Great points, I hadn't thought about that.

Comment

Originally posted by Boohaha View Post
                  Where do you get 10.teams for lsc?
                  UT-Tyler which wants to add football & is joining the Lone Star Conference? Cameron University comes to mind.
                  Last edited by HOGSVRR; 07-18-2018, 12:59 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by HOGSVRR View Post
                    UT-Tyler which wants to add football & is joining the Lone Star Conference? Cameron University comes to mind.
                    Come on buddy, you been around long enough to know Cameron is never bringing football back, and if tyler was going to start a program they would have at d3 where it was cheaper.

Only thing ive read from tyler is the pres and AD giving lip service to "exploring all options" and talking about things if "opprotunities arise." Other than that its a few fans pushing it.

The LSC is a basketball conference now, football will take less ans less precidence as the heartland merger comes into full force.
                    I have fat thumbs sorry for typos!

Comment

If anyone on this board thinks that SFU could ever go back to the Canadian University league, think again!! When SFU announced that they were about to transition to the GNAC and the NCAA Div. 2, Canada West (their conference at the time) tried everything to 1) pull their schedule 2) Not allow them in the playoffs and when they were told that they couldn't do either by the National body they then went on a witch hunt and found a minor critical registration error (an SFU Athletics' secretary listed a player as a B.A. student when he was actually a legitimate Grad student transfer working on his M.B.A.) and we were forced two forfeit two wins that essentially knocked us out of the playoffs!! The absolute hate directed towards SFU Athletics by the rest of the people in Canada West is unbelievable!! Trust me when I say that they would NEVER allow SFU back!!!!

Comment

Delete reply

Comment

Sad to hear.

I'd love to see the LSC welcome the GNAC schools for football only. Only to see HOGSVRR and JackOFFtheGNAC continue their fights. That alone would be enough to waive the LSC entrance fee.:laugh:

Comment

Originally posted by '89HOG View Post
                            Sad to hear.

I'd love to see the LSC welcome the GNAC schools for football only. Only to see HOGSVRR and JackOFFtheGNAC continue their fights. That alone would be enough to waive the LSC entrance fee.:laugh:
                            Last edited by HOGSVRR; 07-18-2018, 04:32 PM.

Comment

This is in a way a lot nicer than the way WWU did it. Not only does the conference have time to go "what now", but so do the HSU players and staff. They have time to weigh all their options, not just jump at the first which is good for the players and staff.

Comment

Not positive on anything, but I've heard the LSC is very open to a scheduling agreement with the GNAC.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X