Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Update on Tarleton Football Stadium

Originally posted by Vulpes88 View Post
    As much as they've talked about D1, they've got to look attractive for the next round of realignment
    You're right. I'm just not as sure as the AD seems to be that the coveted invite from the SLC (or another FCS school) has been put in the mail just yet. The SLC showed that DII teams can step up and be competitive, but it takes time and I would imagine that the Southland will want to build a more recognizable brand and product before they go courting another DII college. Plus, the feasibility study raised a lot of questions for Tarleton's alignment... Didn't it actually recommend that TSU pursue an invitation from the WAC?

That's not to say that the whole system won't be blown out of the water again in the near future leaving a door open for Tarleton, but it may be further off than what has been advertised.

Comment

Originally posted by gruesome View Post
      You're right. I'm just not as sure as the AD seems to be that the coveted invite from the SLC (or another FCS school) has been put in the mail just yet. The SLC showed that DII teams can step up and be competitive, but it takes time and I would imagine that the Southland will want to build a more recognizable brand and product before they go courting another DII college. Plus, the feasibility study raised a lot of questions for Tarleton's alignment... Didn't it actually recommend that TSU pursue an invitation from the WAC?

That's not to say that the whole system won't be blown out of the water again in the near future leaving a door open for Tarleton, but it may be further off than what has been advertised.
      Let's just be real here. Half of the schools in the Southland Conference are D2 posing as D1. If you don't believe me just go check out their antiquated dilapidated facilities or if they even have them and are not using someone else's. I've been to just about every SLC school and the disparity is alarming.

Comment

Originally posted by Techster88 View Post
        Let's just be real here. Half of the schools in the Southland Conference are D2 posing as D1. If you don't believe me just go check out their antiquated dilapidated facilities or if they even have them and are not using someone else's. I've been to just about every SLC school and the disparity is alarming.
        You don't have to convince me! ACU has the best football facility in the conference, but they've got the $$$ and history to back it up. UIW, HBU, Nicholls, and SELA (just off the top of my head) have nothing much more than nice DII stadiums and some are even subpar to the majority of the LSC. Let's not even bring to "light" Bowers in Huntsville or Homer Bryce at SFA. Those schools did little more than put lipstick on pigs with new turf and having a urination distance challenge with their video boards.

You're absolutely right, though. Half of the SLC is Division I, and the other half is Division II: budgets, facilities, and level of competition all taken into consideration. All of that to say, I think the SLC brass understands that taking another DII school isn't exactly going to bolster the perception of the conference nationally. I just don't see them about to jump into the existing LSC and grab a school (or two or three) after having already gone through a pretty major expansion and taking two private LSC schools. Adding Lamar (in football), UIW, HBU, and ACU, while potentially a good bet on the future of the conference, was a certain short term loss.

Not to say that there isn't something in the cards in the future, but the SLC is still bruised from its most recent expansion, and I'm not sure they want to continue to be battered.

Comment

You don't have to convince me! ACU has the best football facility in the conference, but they've got the $$$ and history to back it up. UIW, HBU, Nicholls, and SELA (just off the top of my head) have nothing much more than nice DII stadiums and some are even subpar to the majority of the LSC. Let's not even bring to "light" Bowers in Huntsville or Homer Bryce at SFA. Those schools did little more than put lipstick on pigs with new turf and having a urination distance challenge with their video boards.

You're absolutely right, though. Half of the SLC is Division I, and the other half is Division II: budgets, facilities, and level of competition all taken into consideration. All of that to say, I think the SLC brass understands that taking another DII school isn't exactly going to bolster the perception of the conference nationally. I just don't see them about to jump into the existing LSC and grab a school (or two or three) after having already gone through a pretty major expansion and taking two private LSC schools. Adding Lamar (in football), UIW, HBU, and ACU, while potentially a good bet on the future of the conference, was a certain short term loss.

Not to say that there isn't something in the cards in the future, but the SLC is still bruised from its most recent expansion, and I'm not sure they want to continue to be battered.

Comment

Don't think the invite will be given this year, but it would be wise to have a plan in place for 5 years from now.

Why would Tarleton go to the Misfit Toys Conference as opposed to stay D2 with competition that's closer.

Comment

I forgot about UNO. And they've had their fair share of financial problems (as have all of the Louisiana schools). The UIW thing, I think that was a mad scramble to replace UTSA in the conference once they added football. As for HBU? A Houston presence? Even ACU doesn't make the most sense. Abilene isn't exactly a huge media market, but the University was willing to put in the work to upgrade facilities and put a football stadium on campus. The argument is that adding Tarleton would give the SLC a Fort Worth media presence, but I haven't exactly seen the Fort Worth news crews at Memorial Stadium for anything more than an SHS game during the Briles era.

Will the new stadium change that? Perhaps. "If you build it they will come."

Yeah, the cracker jack stadiums aren't exactly something I want to travel to see a football game in. I went to the Richmond game in Waco a few years ago when Harvey moved the game from H'ville closer to home. I would like to go see them play in Abilene, but beyond that I don't care to travel to any of these other destinations.. Beaumont? Lake Chuck? [insert Louisiana city name here]?

Don't think the invite will be given this year, but it would be wise to have a plan in place for 5 years from now.

Why would Tarleton go to the Misfit Toys Conference as opposed to stay D2 with competition that's closer.
              That was always my dad's argument when the conversations of moving up came around. Why jump up, be on probation, then have to fill the talent level to compete at Division I when you can be nationally competitive at the DII level? I know the arguments for both sides.

But then again, what do you do as a university? Watch the student population grow and watch the aging facilities continue to decay and become further and further outdated? Hey, at least Cecil Ballew got new netting. Probably paid about $28 for that while Masterpiece Stadium became the tallest, most recognized structure in the city.

Comment

[QUOTE=gruesome;2380912]I forgot about UNO. And they've had their fair share of financial problems (as have all of the Louisiana schools). The UIW thing, I think that was a mad scramble to replace UTSA in the conference once they added football. As for HBU? A Houston presence? Even ACU doesn't make the most sense. Abilene isn't exactly a huge media market, but the University was willing to put in the work to upgrade facilities and put a football stadium on campus. The argument is that adding Tarleton would give the SLC a Fort Worth media presence, but I haven't exactly seen the Fort Worth news crews at Memorial Stadium for anything more than an SHS game during the Briles era.

Will the new stadium change that? Perhaps. "If you build it they will come."

Yeah, the cracker jack stadiums aren't exactly something I want to travel to see a football game in. I went to the Richmond game in Waco a few years ago when Harvey moved the game from H'ville closer to home. I would like to go see them play in Abilene, but beyond that I don't care to travel to any of these other destinations.. Beaumont? Lake Chuck? [insert Louisiana city name here]?

Yeah, somehow that philosophy of being in Houston and San Antionio has been an epic fail. Houston Baptist fudges their attendance numbers and still average 2K and UIW in a playoff season averaged a little better than 2K. Hardly replacing a UTSA which averages over 20K. These attendance numbers are poor even by LSC standards. And to think that the Conference would continue to allow this at a D1 level is unbelievable. My hope is this will improve over time maybe 15 years later. These schools would both be at the bottom of the LSC conference in attendance numbers. I almost would think it would be better for these schools to in towns of 100,000 where they could at least have some awareness.

The Southland Conference is in serious need of revamping and having minimum standards if it is ever to gain any respectability regionally because nationally is out the window for now and some time to come. I will be nice and not even mention the disaster of the LA schools. Thus the earlier statement that the top half of the LSC is better off financially than the bottom half of the Southland.

Comment

I was actually in Stephenville yesterday for a funeral. Had the opportunity to drive by the stadium, and I was definitely impressed. It is going to be very nice and a welcome change.

Sour grapes here, I wish ASU would have asked Tech and Tech pony up the money to do ours correctly....

Comment

Yeah, you're in a tough spot either way. If Tarleton were to move up, SLC would make more sense than the WAC. If Tarleton were to move up I'm for it,to but don't move up just to move up.

Comment

Originally posted by ASURAM2010 View Post
                      I was actually in Stephenville yesterday for a funeral. Had the opportunity to drive by the stadium, and I was definitely impressed. It is going to be very nice and a welcome change.

Sour grapes here, I wish ASU would have asked Tech and Tech pony up the money to do ours correctly....
                      Better ask before Tech becomes Mr. Burns

Comment

Better ask before Tech becomes Mr. Burns
                        Might be a generational thing, but I guess I miss this reference

Comment

Might be a generational thing, but I guess I miss this reference
                          The Simpsons. It's been on TV for 30 years.

Before Tech becomes incredibly cheap...

Comment

The Simpsons. It's been on TV for 30 years.

Before Tech becomes incredibly cheap...
                            Gotcha, my parents never allowed us to watch that growing up so now I don't watch just because I don't have an interest.

Comment

Gotcha, my parents never allowed us to watch that growing up so now I don't watch just because I don't have an interest.
                              My sympathies. You're not missing much now.

Comment

RIGHT!!! AND its a freakin cartoon!! Sorry but cartoons are like Trix.....for KIDS. Grown a$$ men watching cartoons makes me chuckle, and shake my head.

(Nothing personal towards anyone.....just MY opinion).

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X