• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Herb Street
    replied
    Re: UT Tyler moving to D2 and LSC

Originally posted by catatonic View Post
    The discussion was about the WAC, which does not play football. So a D2 football site talking about a D1 basketball conference. Does that break a rule?
    We break the rules around here all the time. Consider this forum the online version of Lord of the Flies.

Leave a comment:

• catatonic
    replied

Originally posted by ASUPops View Post
    Yes....and we are on a D2 FOOTBALL site....talking...football?
    The discussion was about the WAC, which does not play football. So a D2 football site talking about a D1 basketball conference. Does that break a rule?

Leave a comment:

• ASUPops
    replied

You are correct although Your point applies to football only. There is no difference in sports other than football. D1 is D1.
    Yes....and we are on a D2 FOOTBALL site....talking...football?

Leave a comment:

• ASUPops
    replied

True!!

Leave a comment:

• Herb Street
    replied

Not even close!!!!

Because of alum $$ pressure, the NCAA "created" the FCS from D1aa. REAL D1(D1a) was and still is THE top level football in the NCAA......regardless of what ego's say.
    Last edited by Herb Street; 07-23-2018, 12:59 PM.

Leave a comment:

• catatonic
    replied

Not even close!!!!

Because of alum $$ pressure, the NCAA "created" the FCS from D1aa. REAL D1(D1a) was and still is THE top level football in the NCAA......regardless of what ego's say.
    You are correct although Your point applies to football only. There is no difference in sports other than football. D1 is D1.

Leave a comment:

• ASUPops
    replied

Originally posted by Herb Street View Post
    Only $30+M stadiums...;)

Leave a comment:

• ASUPops
    replied

Originally posted by LSCfan1 View Post
    D1 is D1. They would just be adding football that would be played at the FCS level.
    Not even close!!!!

Leave a comment:

• laker
    replied

Originally posted by Michael Whitfield View Post
    These fine institutions that currently comprise the Western Athletic Conference seem to have nothing in common. The NMSU Aggies of Las Cruces are the only University among this group that has a football program, as far as I know.
    You are correct. UTRGV had a study going on and would be the most likely to start a program. Utah Valley was thinking about it but that is as far as that went.

Leave a comment:

• Michael Whitfield
    replied

Originally posted by laker View Post
    The WAC is currently at nine.

Cal-Baptist joins this year from D2

CSU-Bakersfield will be leaving for the Big West in 2020

Chicago State still seems to be breathing

Grand Canyon is doing very well

UMKC is still D1 for now

New Mexico State still hopes for an invite from an FBS conference

Seattle still hopes to go to the WCC

UTRGV is the only D1 school that I don't have a cap from........yet. Oops- I need a Cal Baptist one now too.

Utah Valley is a school that I know very little about
    These fine institutions that currently comprise the Western Athletic Conference seem to have nothing in common. The NMSU Aggies of Las Cruces are the only University among this group that has a football program, as far as I know.

Leave a comment:

• Herb Street
    replied

We must be very foolish then. We paid big bucks by Southland Conference standards to hire a D2 coach and turned down an assistant coach from a blue blood P5 school.

Actually, I thought we made a good hire although I was a little concerned when he hired an almost all his staff from D2 ranks and a recruiting director with no Texas high school connections.
    Time will tell, but D2 to FCS is pretty iffy. I like Dorrel and I've always liked ACU so I hope it works out for both.

Leave a comment:

• catatonic
    replied

Originally posted by Herb Street View Post
    While there are exceptions, D2 coaches usually can't get it done at D1, and that is in all sports. And I suppose the opposite could very well be true. There have been more than a few modestly successful D1 coaches that were awful in D2.

D1 and D2 are very different animals.

Those in athletics administration know this fully; D1 coaching hires from the D2 ranks are not very common, and when they do occur, it is most often a desperate, hail-mary move for a program struggling to stay afloat.

Women's basketball seems to be the only sport where good D2 coaches are consistently able to transfer their prowess to D1.
    We must be very foolish then. We paid big bucks by Southland Conference standards to hire a D2 coach and turned down an assistant coach from a blue blood P5 school.

Actually, I thought we made a good hire although I was a little concerned when he hired an almost all his staff from D2 ranks and a recruiting director with no Texas high school connections.

Leave a comment:

• Herb Street
    replied

While there are exceptions, D2 coaches usually can't get it done at D1, and that is in all sports. And I suppose the opposite could very well be true. There have been more than a few modestly successful D1 coaches that were awful in D2.

D1 and D2 are very different animals.

Those in athletics administration know this fully; D1 coaching hires from the D2 ranks are not very common, and when they do occur, it is most often a desperate, hail-mary move for a program struggling to stay afloat.

Women's basketball seems to be the only sport where good D2 coaches are consistently able to transfer their prowess to D1.

Leave a comment:

• BuffaloChip
    replied

Originally posted by Michael Whitfield View Post
    I guess those Cajuns don't give a dime about Nichols down in Bayou country.
    :smile-big:

Leave a comment:

• Michael Whitfield
    replied

Louisiana schools not named LSU are all hurting financially. Nicholls more than most. They hustle every dollar they can by scheduling games against big schools...pay for play...and so forth.

They have done an excellent job with very limited resources. They have done so by focusing the little they have on a few sports rather than spreading limited dollars around.
    I guess those Cajuns don't give a dime about Nichols down in Bayou country.

Leave a comment:

Ad3

Collapse
Working...
X