Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Humboldt State Ending Football Program announced

Originally posted by Techster88 View Post
    He took a beating in the media. He is really good coach and did better at Arkansas than anyone else has since joining the SEC. He is a proven commodity.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael Whitfield View Post
      Yes, my oversight. I don't know about floundering, but he coached the WKU Hilltoppers the following season in 2013 after he departed Fayetteville. They finished with an 8-4 record. Coaching in Kentucky seems to be his forte.
      Yes, he missed the 2012 season after being fired by Arkansas that spring. Only after he made public apologies to all involved including players,coaches, Admin, and family was he given another chance. WKU hired him on the cheap in December of same year. That was the floundering I mentioned.

Comment

Originally posted by LSC Fan View Post
        I bet that Bret Bielema wishes he would have stayed in Madison to coach the Badgers where he was quite successful before the ill fated move to Fayetteville AR to coach the Hogs (I believe for five years). Just read he got an assistant coaching job with the Patriots. Good for him. Coaching at UA is not an easy proposition it appears.

Comment

I bet that Bret Bielema wishes he would have stayed in Madison to coach the Badgers where he was quite successful before the ill fated move to Fayetteville AR to coach the Hogs (I believe for five years). Just read he got an assistant coaching job with the Patriots. Good for him. Coaching at UA is not an easy proposition it appears.
          You are correct!! Arkansas is not easy place to recruit or coach. Stuffed away in an isolated part of a state that has a population less than Houston. But, as long as Broyles is there to reminisce about the glory days in SWC when they could recruit Texas I suspect they will have unrealistic expectations. Since bolting to the SEC, recruiting Texas was never the same and they have become a perennial also ran. Petrino actually breathed some life into that program before being caught with a coed in that motorcycle miscue.
          Most success Arkansas had in years was during his tenure.

Comment

You are correct!! Arkansas is not easy place to recruit or coach. Stuffed away in an isolated part of a state that has a population less than Houston. But, as long as Broyles is there to reminisce about the glory days in SWC when they could recruit Texas I suspect they will have unrealistic expectations. Since bolting to the SEC, recruiting Texas was never the same and they have become a perennial also ran. Petrino actually breathed some life into that program before being caught with a coed in that motorcycle miscue.
            The only thing Kliff Kingsburry has hit the nail on the head with was this.

https://www.si.com/college-football/...s-bret-bielema

Comment

Broyles died a year ago (August 14, 2017) but that is not stopping the pigs from being their usual arrogant self.

Comment

Originally posted by Tech Boys View Post
                Broyles died a year ago (August 14, 2017) but that is not stopping the pigs from being their usual arrogant self.
                Last edited by Techster88; 08-15-2018, 09:52 AM.

Comment

Comment

Pretty sure Coach Hughes stole his playbook. We are going to run roughshod over everyone. I wonder how long it takes or how hard your head is until you figure out. Chip, now thinks it takes 2 more years.

Comment

Pretty sure Coach Hughes stole his playbook. We are going to run roughshod over everyone. I wonder how long it takes or how hard your head is until you figure out. Chip, now thinks it takes 2 more years.
                      It depends on what your goal is. WT wants to compete for a NC. How long will that take? How long did it take in Commerce? 3/4 years? Don needed 5/6 years at WT to be taken seriously as an NC contender.

I think the Buffs will be better the year. That may not reflect in a much better record. 2019 should shape things up. If the Buffs don't win 6 or 7 in 2019, then I'll be worried. 2020 should get the Buffs back in the top 3, playoffs, and top 20 nationally..........if Hughes and Co. have WT on the right path. Recruiting, retaining, and coaching. Only time will tell. Gotta play it out.

Comment

Originally posted by BuffaloChip View Post
                        It depends on what your goal is. WT wants to compete for a NC. How long will that take? How long did it take in Commerce? 3/4 years? Don needed 5/6 years at WT to be taken seriously as an NC contender.

I think the Buffs will be better the year. That may not reflect in a much better record. 2019 should shape things up. If the Buffs don't win 6 or 7 in 2019, then I'll be worried. 2020 should get the Buffs back in the top 3, playoffs, and top 20 nationally..........if Hughes and Co. have WT on the right path. Recruiting, retaining, and coaching. Only time will tell. Gotta play it out.
                        I love the optimism. New coach, new place to play, new unis. I remember those days. Very exciting for fans because everyone is optimistic. Good times.

Comment

Originally posted by BuffaloChip View Post

Comment

Originally posted by ASUPops View Post
                            I love the optimism. New coach, new place to play, new unis. I remember those days. Very exciting for fans because everyone is optimistic. Good times.
                            For WT fans sake, I hope yall can capitalize on the optimism! For ASU's sake, I hope yall suck forever! :)

Comment

Originally posted by ASURAM2010 View Post
                              For WT fans sake, I hope yall can capitalize on the optimism! For ASU's sake, I hope yall suck forever! :)
                              Yep. Optimism has an expiration date and if you've been on a roller coaster ride (with more dips than ups) for the better part of a decade, the date comes MUCH sooner.

The one thing you all had at ASU and what WTAM has now which is very absent at the school I support is very proactive administration with regards to the football program and giving it ALL the tools it needs to get the job done. They just didn't go out and hire a coach and say here, get the job done with these tools and don't bother us with asking for new ones which almost all your counterparts are gathering for recruiting, player retention, etc. That would be like asking today's military to fight a modern war with Korea or Vietnam era weapons. WTAM might be able to weather another couple of years without much long term damage if their current coach doesn't end up getting the job done. The Buffs were not a situation where they were losing games 84-0, etc and at the end of the day managed to navigate the NCAA investigation and coaching change fallout better than expected. I honestly thought they might end up back in the Ronnie Jones era when all was said and done.

Comment

I don't think I was comparing Hughes to the Carthel's. I was pointing out the time each Carthel took to build their program to a national level where they were competing for NC's. Can Hughes replicate that?

I'd say our AD has a 4-5 year plan on his to-do list. If Hughes doesn't have WT solidly back in the top 3 of the LSC and making the playoffs by the 2021 season......Hughes will definitely be on the hot seat. WT doesn't invest in FB, build a new stadium, to be a second rate D2 program. Even mid-pack LSC is unacceptable. If Hughes doesn't get this thing really moving in the right direction by 2020, at least 7 wins, If I were AD, I'd be looking for someone who can.
                                Last edited by BuffaloChip; 08-16-2018, 10:01 AM.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X