X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: ENMU Football and its state in the LSC

Originally posted by Boohaha View Post
    was looking at the LSC list of champions

it is utterly depressing how far Kingsville has fallen.
    Fallen is too nice. Crashed is more like it.
    The problem here is too much is still focused on the past with all the NAIA titles in 60's and 70's and playoff runs in the 80's and 90's. Some think like during brief dips during those time periods, history will pull us back to the top tier of the LSC and D2. If Alabama would have relied on the Bear Bryant days to get back in the position they are in, they would have still been stuck in the muck they were in the early 2000's. Same goes for a number of other programs who have wonderful histories, but put them in their proper perspectives in order to move forward.

The environment is totally different now with how you have to recruit and the "bling" you have to bring to table to potential recruits.

Comment

It really hope that the LSC despite the challenges of being a basketball super conference can become a dominate playoff contending football conference with 4 or 5 teams competing for those spots each year.
      I have fat thumbs sorry for typos!

Comment

Originally posted by LSC Fan View Post
        Fallen is too nice. Crashed is more like it.
        The problem here is too much is still focused on the past with all the NAIA titles in 60's and 70's and playoff runs in the 80's and 90's. Some think like during brief dips during those time periods, history will pull us back to the top tier of the LSC and D2. If Alabama would have relied on the Bear Bryant days to get back in the position they are in, they would have still been stuck in the muck they were in the early 2000's. Same goes for a number of other programs who have wonderful histories, but put them in their proper perspectives in order to move forward.

The environment is totally different now with how you have to recruit and the "bling" you have to bring to table to potential recruits.
        It really is starting to feel like that... and no survivors. I hate saying anything negative about our program, but you're correct. Our administration needs to see the problem and correct it. Coach Wilk is an excellent coach, but he may be fighting this battle with both hands tied behind his back if our current facilities (locker rooms, weight room, stadium, etc) are prohibiting him from landing all the recruits he pursues. Even at the lowly D2 level, players want to feel like our university is providing the best it can for them. I have to believe it will change. I'd hate to see our school continue in this pit. 15 years with two decent years thrown in the mix just isn't cutting it.

GO HOGS!!!

Comment

Originally posted by '89HOG View Post
          It really is starting to feel like that... and no survivors. I hate saying anything negative about our program, but you're correct. Our administration needs to see the problem and correct it. Coach Wilk is an excellent coach, but he may be fighting this battle with both hands tied behind his back if our current facilities (locker rooms, weight room, stadium, etc) are prohibiting him from landing all the recruits he pursues. Even at the lowly D2 level, players want to feel like our university is providing the best it can for them. I have to believe it will change. I'd hate to see our school continue in this pit. 15 years with two decent years thrown in the mix just isn't cutting it.

GO HOGS!!!
          In retrospect, one needs to go back to the late 90's and early 2000's when the likes of Tarleton, Midwestern joined the LSC ranks and WTAM restarted their program. I recall back then one of our radio guys who still occasionally posts on here , said those three would be solid contributors to the conference in football one day and I said yea right as we were dumping 40 to 50 points on them. Sure enough it took them less than a decade to do so and now they have ALL the momentum along with a now upstart ENM and a sky high defending national champ in Commerce.

I've been advised over the years that saying anything on here negative about our program does more harm than good. I used to restrain myself, but come to the conclusion their ways of doing things are not working and will never work. Really? Trying to say the poop smells like Roses is working? It's kind of the hear no evil, speak no evil, see no evil way of things and if it continues, we might as well pack up shop and call it a day. Because we will be like what Indiana is to the Big 10 or Vanderbilt is the to SEC which is just a team that fills the schedule out for a conference slate and an auto "W" for the top tier, year and year out.

I'd love nothing more than Doc Talant as one of his last acts as President , would bring in an AD (and please no dual role positions like the last occupant of the office) and the first words out of his or her mouth is I love football and this program is going to get the real attention it deserves and then the next sentence or two is how we as a school, community are going to accomplish this. And then followed up with a tangible plan with a mission to engage all parties including those who might not have been approached before.

Comment

In retrospect, one needs to go back to the late 90's and early 2000's when the likes of Tarleton, Midwestern joined the LSC ranks and WTAM restarted their program. I recall back then one of our radio guys who still occasionally posts on here , said those three would be solid contributors to the conference in football one day and I said yea right as we were dumping 40 to 50 points on them. Sure enough it took them less than a decade to do so and now they have ALL the momentum along with a now upstart ENM and a sky high defending national champ in Commerce.

I've been advised over the years that saying anything on here negative about our program does more harm than good. I used to restrain myself, but come to the conclusion their ways of doing things are not working and will never work. Really? Trying to say the poop smells like Roses is working? It's kind of the hear no evil, speak no evil, see no evil way of things and if it continues, we might as well pack up shop and call it a day. Because we will be like what Indiana is to the Big 10 or Vanderbilt is the to SEC which is just a team that fills the schedule out for a conference slate and an auto "W" for the top tier, year and year out.

I'd love nothing more than Doc Talant as one of his last acts as President , would bring in an AD (and please no dual role positions like the last occupant of the office) and the first words out of his or her mouth is I love football and this program is going to get the real attention it deserves and then the next sentence or two is how we as a school, community are going to accomplish this. And then followed up with a tangible plan with a mission to engage all parties including those who might not have been approached before.
            i hope that rebuild starts next year. i want to see my hounds get that second win down there.

Comment

Originally posted by ASUPops View Post
              I remember you being the only TAMUC fan on this board.
              The good ole days....

:tongue:

Comment

ive been here long enough that Walton was the DC for eastern before this! I lost my original join date when brandon changed the program.

it is a much nicer board now, me included. Fewer Tarlenton fans though, and angelo ones at that. WT fans are like the herpes though, they never go away.

Comment

Constructive criticism done in a peaceful non threatening manner has never did damage to anyone or any program. The problem is college sports is that there are so many wearing their home school colored tinted shades that they refuse to believe that the problem lies within the leadership. I do not agree with the keep everything positive no matter what the situation is. That's not life, so why act like sports is a fairy tale that always has a happy ending. No problem trying to make the best of every situation, but to put on blinders is more destructive than speaking up no matter how unpopular. Listen, if you didn't care you would just be apathetic and definitely wouldn't spend your energy talking to others about it.

Comment

ive been here long enough that Walton was the DC for eastern before this! I lost my original join date when brandon changed the program.

it is a much nicer board now, me included. Fewer Tarlenton fans though, and angelo ones at that. WT fans are like the herpes though, they never go away.
                    I remember reading the board for years before I finally got a logon name and started posting. I'll never forget the "OOOOOHHHHH!!! WHAT A HIT!!!!" comments as I was following the '04 NC game between Pitt State and Valdosta. On an INT, one of Valdosta's players blind-sided Germaine Race, the Pitt RB, and pretty much took him out of the game.

Comment

enmu site is getting better with its stats

ENMU joined the LSC and d2 in 1984
                      records vs current conference since then:
                      team record vs ENMU since 84 or earliest date played since

Angelo 18-16
                      MSU(97) 17-6
                      TSU 11-10
                      Comm. 16-15
                      (Minus Carthel era 13-14)
                      A&I 24-09
                      WT 15-16
                      (minus carthel era 8-16) he he
                      pattern with carthel there
                      WNMU. 2-17
                      UTPB 0-2

Midwestern and Kingsville will need to fall into a black hole for a couple decades for ENMU to even catch up!

Comment

Originally posted by WT_ALUM08 View Post
                        The good ole days....

:tongue:
                        No, that was when there were no WT fans on the board. :smile-big:
                        Who was the first person to look at a cow and say, "I think I'll squeeze these dangly things here, and drink whatever comes out?"

Comment

Originally posted by JavsFan View Post
                          No, that was when there were no WT fans on the board. :smile-big:
                          but there were ACU posters.....dangles the bait.......

Comment

HOGSVRR with a "F*&#K ACU" in 5... 4... 3...

Comment

You are a master at baiting
                              Who was the first person to look at a cow and say, "I think I'll squeeze these dangly things here, and drink whatever comes out?"

Comment

Originally posted by Techster88 View Post
                                Constructive criticism done in a peaceful non threatening manner has never did damage to anyone or any program. The problem is college sports is that there are so many wearing their home school colored tinted shades that they refuse to believe that the problem lies within the leadership. I do not agree with the keep everything positive no matter what the situation is. That's not life, so why act like sports is a fairy tale that always has a happy ending. No problem trying to make the best of every situation, but to put on blinders is more destructive than speaking up no matter how unpopular. Listen, if you didn't care you would just be apathetic and definitely wouldn't spend your energy talking to others about it.
                                You are correct on the tinted shade thing. I've never wanted anything but the best for our program and it takes sometimes multiple attempts on top of multiple attempts to get things right and even then it's not going to be perfect. In sports, you only have one champion at the end of the day unless you are Texas High School football where you have two per class, but that's more along the line the UIL will not budge on their antiquated classification system and expand the classes. That's a subject for the off season. So no I am not expecting and never did expect us to correct things overnight from the bottom of the hole we fell into back in 2014. The problem for way too long and much to TAMUK's determent is instead of being proactive, we've been reactive. To Doc Tallant's credit, he led the charge on many of these issues in the academic part of the equation and the results prove it with a massive increase in enrollment and several building projects. But with football, I don't think they realized that hiring a good coach was just a piece of puzzle and with the buzz activity going on across the state with athletic facilities and not just LSC schools, we dropped the ball big time there unless your sport is Tennis or Beach Volleyball. Many of these issues should of been addressed 10 years ago and done in a piecemeal fashion and by using some of the creative ways to get the state to chip in such as your Student Health/Rec Center being used also for indoor sports like basketball and conditioning and training .

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X