Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: WT @ APU

Originally posted by WT_ALUM08 View Post
    Hood looks like an extension of our QB play last year.... not good.
    I think he has better skills than Houghtaling but the offense is out of synch. 1 of 6 for 4 yards and a pick for Hood.

Comment

14-0 AP just before half.

Comment

A very nice drive by WT with Hood scoring from 1 yard out. 14-7 AP.

Comment

WT had a first down at the 5, but Hood throws a perfect pass to the defender. Still, the 2nd quarter was a giant improvement for WT's offense.

Hood is 9 of 18 for 91 yards and 2 picks. Carter and Vallo are doing some very good work on the ground (85 yards combined).

14-7 AP.

Comment

17-7 AP.

Reddick is running wild, averaging 9.4 yards per carry on 15 rushes.

Comment

Shipley misses a 30 yd FG, ending a good WT drive.

Comment

Another promising WT drive ends at the 16. Congratulations to AP.

Comment

Comment

Yes, it was very good!

WT could have won this game, but buffoonery on offense kept them from doing it. I'm thinking they will do a lot better against OPSU (maybe even 20 points!).

Comment

Hood looked tentative. He was missing some throws I never saw him miss in practice. First game action for him in two years. Should get more comfortable. I think he'll be a lot better than he showed at times Sat. Second half, Azusa made some adjustments and stuffed the middle. Why didn't we attack the edge more? More misdirection play action? Some screens to Carter? He's got breakaway moves in space. Find him some space. I wold have loved to see a couple screens to him when they pressured the QB. Not sure our OC countered well to the Azusa halftime adjustments. Same on D. We consistently blitzed the edge and left the middle wide open. Azusa blocked the interior well. Azusa killed us on the draw. Our lack of experienced depth on the DL was evident. Buffs are lacking rotation at that position. You really need at least two or three more good DLs that can play, rotating in and out to keep the DL fresh.

How good is Azusa? From what I saw Thursday night, Commerce and Kingsville are both better than Azusa. With Tarleton crunching Delta, knowing Eastern will put it together by the time the Buffs roll around, and Permian improved, it could be a long season for WT.

The WT freshman CB, Tobias Harris, is the real deal. Buffs need a lot of coaching, a lot of reps, and gain experience playing together quickly, quickly, quickly.

We're one more good recruiting class away. But, I'd include a goodly haul of talented juco in that next recruiting class. I don't want to wait 4 or 5 years to see this thing work. Three years is enough to prove Hughes and Co. are the answer. We better see 6 or more wins in 2019. Three for 2018 is looking real good right now. If you count OPSU and WNMU, I'm not sure where that 3rd win is right now.
                      Last edited by BuffaloChip; 09-02-2018, 02:15 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by BuffaloChip View Post
                        Hood looked tentative. He was missing some throws I never saw him miss in practice. First game action for him in two years. Should get more comfortable. I think he'll be a lot better than he showed at times Sat. Second half, Azusa made some adjustments and stuffed the middle. Why didn't we attack the edge more? More misdirection play action? Some screens to Carter? He's got breakaway moves in space. Find him some space. I wold have loved to see a couple middle screens to him when they pressured the QB. Not sure our OC countered well to the Azusa halftime adjustments. Same on D. We consistently blitzed the edge and left the middle wide open. Azusa blocked very well. Azusa killed us on the draw. Our lack of experienced depth on the DL was evident. Very little rotation at that position. You really need about three more good DLs that can play rotating in and out to keep the DL fresh.

How good is Azusa? From what I saw Thursday night, Commerce and Kingsville are both better than Azusa. With Tarleton crunching Delta, knowing Eastern will put it together by the time the Buffs roll around, and Permian improved, it could be a long season for WT.

The WT freshman CB, Tobias Harris, is the real deal. Buffs need a lot of coaching, a lot of reps, and gain experience playing together quickly, quickly, quickly.

We're one more good recruiting class away. But, I'd include a goodly haul of talented juco in that next recruiting class. I don't want to wait 4 or 5 years to see this thing work.
                        I agree about Hood looking tentative, especially in the first quarter, though he did have some drops. I thought he got better as the game went along, passing for over 200 yards - did any WT QB do that last year? I still don't understand why Ben Arbuckle "wasn't a fit", but I do think Hood will perform significantly better than Houghtaling. I also thought he did better than the AP QB, who just chunked it when he got heavy pressure.

I thought the play calling was repetitive and not very imaginative. The backs had fewer yards at the end of the game than they had at half time. I also thought they should have thrown to Carter out of the backfield.

We had a pick 6 called back due to a block in the back. The kicking game was poor. We punted once into the end zone for a net of 17 yards. Any AA high school kicker should be able to make a 30 yard FG. WT could have won last night with just a little bit better play.

Yes, the rest of the LSC is much improved, and so far, we aren't.

Comment

Originally posted by WT_TKW View Post
                          I agree about Hood looking tentative, especially in the first quarter, though he did have some drops. I thought he got better as the game went along, passing for over 200 yards - did any WT QB do that last year? I still don't understand why Ben Arbuckle "wasn't a fit", but I do think Hood will perform significantly better than Houghtaling. I also thought he did better than the AP QB, who just chunked it when he got heavy pressure.

I thought the play calling was repetitive and not very imaginative. The backs had fewer yards at the end of the game than they had at half time. I also thought they should have thrown to Carter out of the backfield.

We had a pick 6 called back due to a block in the back. The kicking game was poor. We punted once into the end zone for a net of 17 yards. Any AA high school kicker should be able to make a 30 yard FG. WT could have won last night with just a little bit better play.

Yes, the rest of the LSC is much improved, and so far, we aren't.
                          The team looked like it needs to gain confidence. A confident, more experienced Buff team, would have won that game last night. Confidence is built on repetitive successful execution.
                          Last edited by BuffaloChip; 09-02-2018, 02:34 PM.

Comment

Both teams looked like this was their first game and they both looked young.

APU's defensive scheme was so basic that WTAMU was able to move the ball with ease in the first half. Once APU started the blizting in the second half the Buffs had a hard time. 84, I think, seemed open almost the whole night, especially crossing the middle. APU needs to rethink that base scheme. Our personel was not up to 6 in the box and not applying pressure.

APU's offense was typical for our OC. He was a former running back for us and thinks only in 5-10 yards. I would love to see him open it up, but it is against his nature. Our quarterback is capable of throwing a long ball, last night looked bad. Weston Carr, our pre-season all-american barely got the ball. Man, we need an OC with imagination and more than 10 plays in his playbook. Our OC also thinks, not about defeating his opponent, but just to perserve a win. Starting to run out the clock with 7 minutes left was stupid. Don't take your foot off the gas when you only lead by 10 and the other team can break one off. APU looked weak. That sucked.

WTAMU had some good runs by 33. But, I hate to say it, any DC worth their weight should be able to stop you all pretty consistantly.

Neither team should be happy about any aspect of that game. No, I take that back. APU's running back ran for 200 yards. He can celebrate.

Penalties and turnovers. Both seemed young.

Comment

Originally posted by LSCFBFAN View Post
                              Yes, NAIA school in their first season.
                              Yes, you are correct Sir. Ottawa Univ (CSFL) located in Surprise, AZ (suburb of Phoenix) will host one of our Panhandle schools Wayland Baptist Univ Pioneers on Nov 3rd. Wonder if WT would like to schedule Ottawa Univ for a game or two in the future?

Comment

Originally posted by Boohaha View Post
                                Azusa gets Wt before attrition takes hold, WT makes a game of it but Azusa wins by 7
                                A fairly accurate prediction. Lost 17-7, but the missed FG by the Buffs and your 7 point prediction would have been spot on.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X