Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Midwestern vs Angelo

ENMU is definetly 1st........

on everyones list of where they DONT WANT TO BE!

I swear i bet some HC's have threatened their Grad assts. that if they dont shape up they will give them a recommendation that is so bad they could only coach in Portales! HA HA!
    I have fat thumbs sorry for typos!

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by ASUPops View Post
        Listen, don't get me wrong. I have MAD respect for Will Wagner. He is one of the finest people I know. I mean he is a likeable guy.

BUT this is business. If Wag didnt have the tools given him or did not have a President that was 100% behind the football program, then I would be looking for changes at the top. But Dr May has gone above and beyond for ASU football (as well as all other ASU sports). And it is each HC's job to use the tools given and build a CONSISTENTLY successful program. If they fail, then they must pay the consequences.

Wag was hired December 2010. This is his 8th season -
        2011: 5-6 (2-6)
        2012: 5-6 (4-4)
        2013: 5-6 (2-4)
        2014: 9-3 (5-2) play-offs 2nd round. Lost to 2014 NC.
        2015: 7-4 (3-3)
        2016: 5-6 (4-5)
        2017: 6-5 (4-4)
        2018: 2-2 (1-1) as of 9/22

I think these records speak volumes.

Let's hope ASU finishes 8-3 or even better, wins out and finishes 9-2. But I swear, I never want to see 5-6 or 6-5 as long as I live. I can't stand mediocrity. Either put forth that extra effort to get to the top or step aside and let someone else do it.

Comment

Based on location and best place for a HC with a family, I say Angelo State or Midwestern (100k plus population). Tarleton (20k) and Commerce (8k).....after that no clue.

Even though Commerce is only 70 miles from Dallas, thats not an often trip for a coach & his family....between school for kids, activities, and Dads schedule, just not feasible. Same with Tarleton.

The first two cities have much more to offer as far as amenities for a family and much better ISDs.

Thats just my opinion.

Comment

I remember Dykes. He held the school wins record before Leach. My wife is a Tech Alum.

Comment

What probably saved him during that span was an occassional upset of Texas and A&M. Sad to say, but that was Tech's Super Bowls.

Oh and of course that was very much the pre social media witch hunt era. Alot of respected coaches would of been history way before their times if we had the chaos on line that we have today.

Comment

I don't know enough about the rest of the towns but I do know that ASU pays towards the tops of the conference, has some really nice facilities, and San Angelo is a great place to raise a family. And if you win football games in San Angelo, you can do no wrong...one of the high school coaches in town has won 5 straight district championships and you would think by the way people talk about him that he walks on water (he is a good guy, but you get the drift). I don't have anything good to say about Tarleton but that is probably due to my interaction with a few of the less the upstanding citizens that I have run into at games and such.

Here is my pecking order of where things stand right now, if all of the jobs in the LSC opened here is the order in which I think they would be filled:
                1) Commerce - coming off a national championship, really nice facilities, in a recruiting hotbed (could fill your roster without moving outside of about 4 counties)
                2) Midwestern - such sustained success, although following THE GUY is never an enviable position. I could see this job being an absolute dumpster fire if Maskill leaves. The facilities aren't great and you are damn near in Oklahoma.
                T3) Angelo or Tarleton - I could give the edge to Tarleton on the prospect of going D1, if a new coach comes in and wants to make a name for himself. The facilities are getting a much needed upgrade. The town supports Tarleton very well and you are close to DFW so recruits families can make the easier 1-2 hour drive for games
                Angelo - I would say top of the line facilities (stadium completion being assumed), top level pay, an administration who would collectively sell one of their own children to win in football. The downside is location, you have to travel 3 hours in any direction to get to a decent group of athletes.
                5) WT - more recent success than Kingsville, nicer facilities, but you still have the isolation
                6) Kingsville - out of date facilities, isolated location, GREAT tradition, if you win here you are an absolute hero and they will probably build a statue.
                7) UTPB - no history, no tradition, facilities are improving but aren't great
                8&9) NM Schools - no money, no recruiting, lots of travel, great little towns but aren't extremely conducive to winning football games.

Comment

Originally posted by ASURAM2010 View Post
                  I don't know enough about the rest of the towns but I do know that ASU pays towards the tops of the conference, has some really nice facilities, and San Angelo is a great place to raise a family. And if you win football games in San Angelo, you can do no wrong...one of the high school coaches in town has won 5 straight district championships and you would think by the way people talk about him that he walks on water (he is a good guy, but you get the drift). I don't have anything good to say about Tarleton but that is probably due to my interaction with a few of the less the upstanding citizens that I have run into at games and such.

Here is my pecking order of where things stand right now, if all of the jobs in the LSC opened here is the order in which I think they would be filled:
                  1) Commerce - coming off a national championship, really nice facilities, in a recruiting hotbed (could fill your roster without moving outside of about 4 counties)
                  2) Midwestern - such sustained success, although following THE GUY is never an enviable position. I could see this job being an absolute dumpster fire if Maskill leaves. The facilities aren't great and you are damn near in Oklahoma.
                  T3) Angelo or Tarleton - I could give the edge to Tarleton on the prospect of going D1, if a new coach comes in and wants to make a name for himself. The facilities are getting a much needed upgrade. The town supports Tarleton very well and you are close to DFW so recruits families can make the easier 1-2 hour drive for games
                  Angelo - I would say top of the line facilities (stadium completion being assumed), top level pay, an administration who would collectively sell one of their own children to win in football. The downside is location, you have to travel 3 hours in any direction to get to a decent group of athletes.
                  5) WT - more recent success than Kingsville, nicer facilities, but you still have the isolation
                  6) Kingsville - out of date facilities, isolated location, GREAT tradition, if you win here you are an absolute hero and they will probably build a statue.
                  7) UTPB - no history, no tradition, facilities are improving but aren't great
                  8&9) NM Schools - no money, no recruiting, lots of travel, great little towns but aren't extremely conducive to winning football games.

To expand on Kingsville, I don't think it's as isolated as people like to describe it. Sul Ross is isolated. Western New Mexico is isolated.

Kingsville is only a 20 to 30 minute drive from a city of over 300k which has ammenties and some good ISD's within the city limits and bordering the city. I do not know if our football coach has to live in or within a certain radius of Kingsville as part of his employment contract or not? I know HC's for some of the other sports do not. San Antonio is quick two hour straight shot up I-37 from Corpus.

You are correct about the facilites as it's been discussed.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X