Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: ASU fires Wagner, promotes DC Jeff Girsch to HC

Originally posted by ASURAM2010 View Post
    To me it is the philosophy. With the defense playing well, and they have for the past 3 years, I would think you would want to shorten the game. Have an offense that can control the game and give your defense a break. Yes the offense has been productive, but at what expense to the defense. Look at all of those teams you referenced, yes their offenses are legit, but the defense is the one who ends up taking the brunt of that. You can't expect your defense to be on the field 65% of the time and be able to stop people. Look at the teams that have won championships, they are nearly equal in time of possession and run/pass. None of the teams that win championships are running 95-100 plays per game. That is just my uninformed, never played a down of competitive football, opinion.,
    Good opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by Roscoe View Post
      When you're changing coaches it's always going to affect things like morale. What effect it has on Commerce for one game is completely irrelevant.
      Bingo!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Runnin' Cat View Post
        I have been undefeated for the past six seasons
        Oh, you are an AD, et.al of a DII program??

Comment

Originally posted by Roscoe View Post
          When you're changing coaches it's always going to affect things like morale. What effect it has on Commerce for one game is completely irrelevant.
          I didn't say it was going to have an effect on Commerce. Just saying a potential down locker room on the Angelo side MIGHT have a negative effect and make a win for Commerce easier. It occurs on occasion depending on how vested the team was in the coach that was just let go and how it was done. It's called going through the motions.... Or screw it we are done and out of here. It's just odd that it was done after a victory and during a three game winning streak.

If I am the Commerce coach, I am telling the team to act like nothing is going on over there and just play like you your post season and defense of the Natty is in the balance which it is if they lose..... More than likely.

Comment

Comment

Comment

To me it is the philosophy. With the defense playing well, and they have for the past 3 years, I would think you would want to shorten the game. Have an offense that can control the game and give your defense a break. Yes the offense has been productive, but at what expense to the defense. Look at all of those teams you referenced, yes their offenses are legit, but the defense is the one who ends up taking the brunt of that. You can't expect your defense to be on the field 65% of the time and be able to stop people. Look at the teams that have won championships, they are nearly equal in time of possession and run/pass. None of the teams that win championships are running 95-100 plays per game. That is just my uninformed, never played a down of competitive football, opinion.,

Comment

Originally posted by LSC Fan View Post
                  I didn't say it was going to have an effect on Commerce. Just saying a potential down locker room on the Angelo side MIGHT have a negative effect and make a win for Commerce easier. It occurs on occasion depending on how vested the team was in the coach that was just let go and how it was done. It's called going through the motions.... Or screw it we are done and out of here. It's just odd that it was done after a victory and during a three game winning streak.

If I am the Commerce coach, I am telling the team to act like nothing is going on over there and just play like you your post season and defense of the Natty is in the balance which it is if they lose..... More than likely.
                  The decision was made a long time ago. Many things were considered as far as when.

Its easy to release a coach who is an a$$, breaks NCAA or institution rules, has been sanctioned, has poor integrity & character, tries to harm the integrity of players, etc....

It's HARD when it is a good man, with 100% great character & integrity, who does RIGHT by his players, and had a great interest in shaping the lives of young men.

So, sometimes the not so obvious reasons make perfect sense to the insiders.

Most people respond and make knee-jerk decisions. This was WELL thought out.....looking at and weighing every pro & con....and ALL parties involved.

The Commerce game NEVER entered the equation. Not for a second.

Comment

I could definitely be wrong about the offensive philosophy being as issue. But from what I have seen over the past 3 seasons is that our defense is gassed because of our offense's inability to stay on the field. Even when we are scoring, if you are scoring fast, you aren't helping your defense. But all of this banter is moot because neither of us are going to be making the decisions here and I guess we can see which route Girsch goes when he gets to officially make those decisions.

Comment

I could definitely be wrong about the offensive philosophy being as issue. But from what I have seen over the past 3 seasons is that our defense is gassed because of our offense's inability to stay on the field. Even when we are scoring, if you are scoring fast, you aren't helping your defense. But all of this banter is moot because neither of us are going to be making the decisions here and I guess we can see which route Girsch goes when he gets to officially make those decisions.

Comment

Comment

I will agree with you that since we have decided on a QB, our offense has looked better. I guess it is just a difference of opinion in regards to the offensive staff.

Comment

Originally posted by LSC Fan View Post

Who cares? You want them to make a long-term coaching decision based on one game against a team that's likely to stomp them anyway?

Comment

Welcome to modern football. If the defense is gassed compared to other team's defenses based on what the ASU offense has been doing then they need to be better conditioned.

Comment

There is an exception to almost every rule.

Football is ALL about field position & ball control.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X