Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Comment

TAMUK should demand a full refund of the fee they paid this search firm. On the other hand, maybe they did the best job under the circumstances and this was the best they could do? Who the heck knows?

If I were running a search an entity in turmoil, I'd strongly advise them to fix their issues first and then give a me a call because I wouldn't want my firm associated with something like this where the outcome could have been predicted. How could it be predicted? The silence and not even a peep about the search until Football Scoop got some info and a few other on here with some connections posted the same. But when you get no updates or even a one sentence statement from the people in charge, one has to assume it's not going well. This along with the time it has taken.

Everyone knew this was going to occur sometime back in October if not earlier and the AD or even some secret committee set up to do a search should have been doing their work in the background so the hire could be brought on like two weeks ago. They should have done what they did to Calloway and started the public search early.

The fact we might be stuck with someone who hasn't coached in the college ranks as a position coach for more than a decade and coached in a region of the state that hardly represents the talented areas of the state where high school programs who produce college football talent are found by the dozens and dozens is very disheartening. I'm afraid you won't hear much outrage because the apathy is so bad and those who care have given up as witnessed by the 2000 to 3000 showing up for most of the games this season.

Comment

https://valleycentral.com/news/local...football-coach

Comment

Well I am hoping for the best. Maybe Mike Salinas has a plan in place to help steer the program in the right direction (including a sit down with the uppers to help steer the upgrades that are badly needed).

Comment

WHAT THEY'RE SAYING ABOUT MIKE SALINAS

"As a former team captain and assistant coach, Mike Salinas is a proud Javelina who has a proven record of success everywhere he has coached. A native of the Rio Grande Valley, Coach Salinas knows Texas and Texas high school football. Please join me in welcoming Coach Salinas to Kingsville." - Mark A. Hussey, Ph.D., President, Texas A&M University-Kingsville

"It is always special when a school can welcome back one of their own. I coached Mike when he played collegiately for the Javelinas and can't be more happy for both Mike and Texas A&M-Kingsville. Having played and coached for the Javelinas, Mike understands the culture that is needed to rebuild this once great program and bring it back to national prominence. He is well respected by his peers, former players and teammates. All Javelina Fans should be especially excited about their new Head Football Coach and what the future holds. It will be fun to watch him unite the University, the city of Kingsville and all of South Texas and bring back the high expectations and standards that Javelina Football Fans are used to seeing each and every year." - Chris Ballard, General Manager, Indianapolis Colts

"I would like to congratulate Mike Salinas for being named the next football coach at Texas A&M-Kingsville. His work ethic, his passion and his desire to be successful will bring back the winning tradition. His knowledge of our history and how winning programs should perform on and off the field will change the culture of Kingsville." - Roberto Garza, former Chicago Bear and Javelina football alum, Javelina Hall of Famer

"Mike Salinas is a leader, a proven winner, and a homegrown talent that understands the importance of both work ethic and culture." - Ed Dodds, Assistant General Manager, Indianapolis Colts

"As a proud alumnus of this prestigious university and current head coach, I am honored to welcome Mike Salinas and his beautiful family back home as the new Texas A&M-Kingsville head football coach. Mike has always exhibited the successful qualities of a Javelina, with great work ethic, integrity, discipline, loyalty, knowledge, and most of all, pride. He is a winner in every aspect of life and believes in commitment to excellence. Mike will build a first-class program and with the support of Javelina Nation, he, his staff and his players will restore us to the glory days of national recognition and championships." - Johnny Estelle, current Head Men's Basketball Coach, Texas A&M-Kingsville, Javelina Hall of Famer

Comment

Go Mike Salinas! - Congratulations and wishing you the best. Hopefully this is the start of something great for the program.

Comment

I want to be excited about this, but my expectations are horribly low. Is it wrong to feel this way? I wish Salinas the best of course and hope he proves he can do this especially with what appears having some of the same obstacles in place former coaches had to try to make lemonade out of the lemons.

Comment

Originally posted by LSC Fan View Post
                  I want to be excited about this, but my expectations are horribly low. Is it wrong to feel this way? I wish Salinas the best of course and hope he proves he can do this especially with what appears having some of the same obstacles in place former coaches had to try to make lemonade out of the lemons.
                  I am with you. Same thoughts. Hopefully some of those discussions were had behind closed doors, including a future well laid out plan. All we can do right now is wait and see how this turns out but I do want to see some announcement soon on faility upgrades, etc.

Comment

So....the school hired a guy with no head coaching experience except at a high school level? My wife and most of her siblings are a graduate from Weslaco High School. Most of her family still lives in Weslaco. I'm hoping for the best....but (as LSC Fan stated) my expectations are terribly low.

It's nice that Coach Salinas and the Weslaco Panthers went 10-2 in 2018. However, they went 10-2 in 2019 too -- under a different head coach. I really hope that this committee (and the organization that they paid) saw something remarkable in Coach Salinas. Who knows? He might be the next Urban Meyer, Chip Kelly, Brian Kelly or Colby Carthel. However, he doesn't have an actual football history that would show this.

Count me as felling....letdown...but hoping that I am surprised.

Comment

Originally posted by BulldogLB View Post
                      Can the Kingsville Athletic Department REALLY not find a quality coach interested in the job? Are they really going to go with a guy like Salinas? Yikes. Sounds like Kingsville needs to get rid of the AD or whoever is in charge of this whole fiasco.
                      It is baffling. For most of its history, coaches would line up to submit their resumes to A&I/A&M-Kingsville. Now, we can't seem to attract college coordinators (let alone head coaches) to even show interest in the position. Is the university paying minimum wage or something? When my wife found her first public school teaching position after completing grad school, she was earning more in salary and benefits than a friend who was an adjunct professor at the college.

Perhaps the school just didn't want to spend money this year?

Comment

Adjuncts at any college make very little...trust me...I know...I have been one at more than one school.

Comment

Originally posted by javs26 View Post

I am with you. Same thoughts. Hopefully some of those discussions were had behind closed doors, including a future well laid out plan. All we can do right now is wait and see how this turns out but I do want to see some announcement soon on faility upgrades, etc.
                          I'm not holding my breath. This whole process... This whole decade..... This whole program .... has been (fill in the blank). I have negative zero confidence.

Comment

Originally posted by ccchhhrrriiisss View Post
                            So....the school hired a guy with no head coaching experience except at a high school level? My wife and most of her siblings are a graduate from Weslaco High School. Most of her family still lives in Weslaco. I'm hoping for the best....but (as LSC Fan stated) my expectations are terribly low.

It's nice that Coach Salinas and the Weslaco Panthers went 10-2 in 2018. However, they went 10-2 in 2019 too -- under a different head coach. I really hope that this committee (and the organization that they paid) saw something remarkable in Coach Salinas. Who knows? He might be the next Urban Meyer, Chip Kelly, Brian Kelly or Colby Carthel. However, he doesn't have an actual football history that would show this.

Count me as felling....letdown...but hoping that I am surprised.
                            And he hasn't coached in the college ranks for years and was a position coach.

I'll reserve judgment on a few things until I see his full recruiting class as he will somewhat get a pass on this years.

I'll be interested in his hires of course. That will be a telling move on where the direction of this program is headed as well. That's if he has been given the budget to hire who he needs.

Comment

Dave Campbell kind of took a shot at the hire on facebook saying Kingsville hired a "highschool football coach".

Comment

What was Coach Salinas doing over the last year since he quit coaching in 2018?

I don't want to come across as a sour grape. At this point, I hope that Coach Salinas reads or hears comments like these and uses it as motivation to prove everyone wrong. He is getting the chance of a lifetime. I wish him nothing but the greatest of success.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X