Collapse

Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

He was selling sports equipment in the valley.

Comment

This is the fix to Wilkinson? Wow.

Comment

Originally posted by ccchhhrrriiisss View Post
        So....the school hired a guy with no head coaching experience except at a high school level? My wife and most of her siblings are a graduate from Weslaco High School. Most of her family still lives in Weslaco. I'm hoping for the best....but (as LSC Fan stated) my expectations are terribly low.

It's nice that Coach Salinas and the Weslaco Panthers went 10-2 in 2018. However, they went 10-2 in 2019 too -- under a different head coach. I really hope that this committee (and the organization that they paid) saw something remarkable in Coach Salinas. Who knows? He might be the next Urban Meyer, Chip Kelly, Brian Kelly or Colby Carthel. However, he doesn't have an actual football history that would show this.

Count me as felling....letdown...but hoping that I am surprised.
        Just spit Holiday Cheer all over the place. Did you just put Carthel in with the Kelly's and Urban Meyer??? HAHAHAHA

Should have thrown in Gagliardi & Paterno while you were at it. Lol.

Too funny!

Comment

Originally posted by LSC Fan View Post
          I want to be excited about this, but my expectations are horribly low. Is it wrong to feel this way? I wish Salinas the best of course and hope he proves he can do this especially with what appears having some of the same obstacles in place former coaches had to try to make lemonade out of the lemons.
          Ya know, maybe this is EXACTLY what TAMUK needs.

Maybe, just maybe this guy is gonna turn the tides. After researching more about him.....this could be the right medicine for an ailing program.

#GoCoachS
          #GoPiggies

Comment

And he hasn't coached in the college ranks for years and was a position coach.

I'll reserve judgment on a few things until I see his full recruiting class as he will somewhat get a pass on this years.

I'll be interested in his hires of course. That will be a telling move on where the direction of this program is headed as well. That's if he has been given the budget to hire who he needs.

Comment

Well it was a botched hire. There is more information that has not been revealed about the hiring events from this week. Hoping Mike is able to get this turned around but there is little support from the uppers to get it turned around.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by ASUPops View Post
                  Just spit Holiday Cheer all over the place. Did you just put Carthel in with the Kelly's and Urban Meyer??? HAHAHAHA

Too funny!
                  I think that you misunderstood. I am not comparing any of those coaches. However, all of those coaches have had success at a high school and, subsequently, college level. They aren't all equal or even comparable. It's just that someone gave them an opportunity (at different levels) and they each made the most of it.

Comment

Strange turn of events.....when Gines was AD, and looking for one of the coaching changes (about the time of Wilkenson's hire, so sometime back then) I was following Mike Salinas' career in the "assistant coaching ranks" , and emaledl Gines that he should take a hard look at Salinas....

so, I am pleased, and hope he will begin a turnaround....at least he will not be *****ing about our facilities IMO, which we all agree do need major improvements and updating...., but if someone can win in Portales, and a few other out of the way places, Salinas can do so in The Ville.....

Best to all this Xmas Season...

lantana

Comment

Originally posted by lantana View Post
                      Strange turn of events.....when Gines was AD, and looking for one of the coaching changes (about the time of Wilkenson's hire, so sometime back then) I was following Mike Salinas' career in the "assistant coaching ranks" , and emaledl Gines that he should take a hard look at Salinas....

so, I am pleased, and hope he will begin a turnaround....at least he will not be *****ing about our facilities IMO, which we all agree do need major improvements and updating...., but if someone can win in Portales, and a few other out of the way places, Salinas can do so in The Ville.....

lantana
                      If he does not complain about the facilities, then he will not be the right man for the job. Part of his job should be pushing everyone to upgrade the facilities.

Comment

Too funny!
                        Last edited by We-Are-Lions; 12-21-2019, 12:54 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by lantana View Post

lantana
                          As I much as I hate to disagree with my friend Lantana, I have to differ with a few points he makes here

1) While it's true Portales and Kingsville are out of the way( I would argue we are not wayyyy out of the way because we are still relatively close to several major cities and metro areas vs Portales), the ENM coach has been the recipient of numerous facility upgrades which include a brand new stadium. That had to help with his job because it will be related to point number two

2) A look at ENM roster shows only a handful of players from the same recruiting grounds we normally visit. And when I say a handful, I mean maybe two or three. Most of their current roster are from New Mexico, Panhandle or West Texas as well as a number of non Texas based JUCO players, mainly from the western state JUCO's. We recruit the Texas market which is everything east of of I-35 with high schools as we know that have facilities that mimic of exceed those of some college and leave our crappy venue miles and miles behind.

3) I'd like to know what kind of recruiting budget, scholies and other intangibles ENM has given their staff vs what has been taken away from the most recents staffs here. Because if what has been tossed around the grapevine about ours, we might be towards if the not the very bottom in the LSC now. And why this occurred when enrollment was increasing is very puzzling to say the least.

I wish Salinas the best and I hope you are 100% correct Lantana. But if he's been given the keys to the same car which Attaberry, Calloway and Wilk had to drive and the engine, suspension, and transmission hasn't been overhauled, then in three years we will back to where we are at today. And I have to think on the face of it since it appears we had two finalist withdraw and maybe a few others withdraw before they were even put into a finalist pool, the administration hasn't even come close to a real plan for a coach to have in his pocket to present to recruits. And if I had to guess since the other two finalists came from environments where they are CURRENTLY coaching and know the marketplace, the saw what out inept administration had to offer and said no thanks. I don't want my hands tied and my feet bound and destined for disaster from the get go. Again, it's time for this AD and administration to be upfront with us. Tell us EXACTLY why we've had to consume a crap sandwich for this long and why they haven't been serious about fixing it. And why they haven't reached out to those who would like to help. That's not our job as Alums and Boosters, that is THEIR job and why for so long they chose to market the program on the reputation and history instead of keeping their eye and adjusting to the market place and the demands of today's recruits is beyond comprehension. And today we are paying for it and we may never be back to even being competitive in the LSC much less D2 football.

Comment

Ya know, maybe this is EXACTLY what TAMUK needs.

Maybe, just maybe this guy is gonna turn the tides. After researching more about him.....this could be the right medicine for an ailing program.

#GoCoachS
                            #GoPiggies
                            You might be right Pops. I and others are so numb about the situation that instead of raising expectations , we rather keep them very, very low. I don't like eating crow, but if I'm wrong I will gladly find one and post me eating it. Will a cockroach with wings known as a blackbird work?

Salinas is a good guy and I get that. But if he's being set up to fail just like the last three coaches, we all know how this will end as we just finished another chapter of failure in our program history book.

Comment

Not sure how ENMU got pulled into this discussion but I would say TAMUK has FAR MORE resources than ENMU. The Greyhounds only have 25 scholarships and the assistant coach salary pool is about 1/2 of what it is being said TAMUk is allotted. The ENMU athletic budget does not allot football enough money in their budget cover full travel costs for road games, or pay for officials for fames. The coaches have to fundraise to just keep the program operating. There is no recruiting budget to speak of. There is no real comparison between ENMU or TAMUK. However, the Hounds have beaten the hogs 7 out of the 8 times the two teams have played. The triple option has been an amazing equalizer for the Greyhounds.

Comment

You might be right Pops. I and others are so numb about the situation that instead of raising expectations , we rather keep them very, very low. I don't like eating crow, but if I'm wrong I will gladly find one and post me eating it. Will a cockroach with wings known as a blackbird work?

Salinas is a good guy and I get that. But if he's being set up to fail just like the last three coaches, we all know how this will end as we just finished another chapter of failure in our program history book.
                                From my understand of what happened behind the scenes, this is what is happening (he is being setup up to fail). Hopefully Mike Salinas is able to overcome this.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X