X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Allen HS Kyler Murray Wins Heisman

Originally posted by Runnin' Cat View Post
    https://www.forbes.com/sites/jasonbe.../#9b99c1458144

It depends on how you look at it. It is somewhat of an apple/orange situation.

One consideration is that baseball offers a lot longer career on average.
    Perhaps more importantly, baseball contracts are 100% guaranteed. He could sign a larger contract in the NFL, but he could be a play away from losing big $$.

Comment

Originally posted by ETSU_LION View Post
      I agree with Gretchen. This is "fetch".

I should check with Karen to see if it is raining.

Comment

Originally posted by LSC Fan View Post
        Popcorn please....
        No popcorn needed. Like I said....too close on this one.

Comment

He will choose the NFL and it is the smart move to make. Right now, he is projected to go in the 1st round, 2nd round at the latest. He will make more upfront money in the NFL than MLB. He will have to ride the buses a few years in baseball before he gets to his big money contract. He probably would have already made 20 million by that point in football, not to mention the endorsements he will be getting. He is still deciding between the two sports but the latest information is he is leaning to football. He submitted to have his round grade for the NFL Draft this week. I think he wants to play both but that would be difficult in today's world, especially playing the QB position. For me, I think he is going to go high in the first round.

Comment

Originally posted by javs26 View Post
            He will choose the NFL and it is the smart move to make. Right now, he is projected to go in the 1st round, 2nd round at the latest. He will make more upfront money in the NFL than MLB. He will have to ride the buses a few years in baseball before he gets to his big money contract. He probably would have already made 20 million by that point in football, not to mention the endorsements he will be getting. He is still deciding between the two sports but the latest information is he is leaning to football. He submitted to have his round grade for the NFL Draft this week. I think he wants to play both but that would be difficult in today's world, especially playing the QB position. For me, I think he is going to go high in the first round.
            Once his college career is completed....he and his agent are to meet with the A's and discuss all options.

Comment

Originally posted by javs26 View Post

Comment

Comment

Comment

Man what a dilemma....take my 4.5M signing bonus and have the opportunity to play baseball for 20 years. Or forgo the signing bonus and get drafted most likely in the 1st round and sign a mostly guaranteed rookie contract that will pay you handsomely.
                    I hope this kid alone settles the specialization debate for both baseball and football players. That is the worst thing you could do for your body.

Comment

Originally posted by ASURAM2010 View Post
                      Man what a dilemma....take my 4.5M signing bonus and have the opportunity to play baseball for 20 years. Or forgo the signing bonus and get drafted most likely in the 1st round and sign a mostly guaranteed rookie contract that will pay you handsomely.
                      I hope this kid alone settles the specialization debate for both baseball and football players. That is the worst thing you could do for your body.
                      You got that right. Our high school is a state power both on the gridiron and diamond and over the last five or six years, we've lost football and basketball players to going baseball only in a significant number. And the primary concern from their parents after being sweet talked by the high school coaches (although they deny it) and these select league coaches it's good for them to this because the schollie chances will be enhanced because you will avoid career altering injury. Ironically some of these same kids who were sold this track are either no longer playing baseball at the higher levels or didn't really get a chance because guess what? They ended up having TJ surgery or constant back or hip issues due to baseball overuse and most of them were also pitchers, but played positions as well where they might have been utlized at the next level.

We also had some kids that either quit football to go baseball only to later comeback to play football or some who got very close to quitting football. Ironically a few of those got injured not playing football, but baseball after all the concern. One of them busted his knee during a summer select game on a sprinkler head diving for a baseball in centerfield. Go figure. Another damaged a shoulder doing some intense weight lifting. But I recall to this day how concerned those kid's parents were and almost obsessive about their boy getting hurt playing football.

What is ironic in all of this is some of our best football and baseball players who went on to play Div 1 college football or baseball (and a few went to the MLB) , played both football and baseball at the high school level. That was before the select or pay to play era really started kicking into high gear. I have to admit I got suckered into that nonsense with my first born when it became the thing to do for baseball around here. It took me a few weeks to figure out something more was at play and said no mas. Thankfully and as much as I hate to say it because I like baseball, my middle kid decided not to play baseball in high school because it seems to be a prerequiste around here to be part of one of these team in order to get the high school coaches to give you the time of day. Actually our program has probably suffered more because of that attitude vs benefited since we haven't been back to the State Tourney since 2011 if I recall correctly. That's about the time the select league thing really got it's jump start in this region.... Ironically.

Comment

Originally posted by LSC Fan View Post
                        You got that right. Our high school is a state power both on the gridiron and diamond and over the last five or six years, we've lost football and basketball players to going baseball only in a significant number. And the primary concern from their parents after being sweet talked by the high school coaches (although they deny it) and these select league coaches it's good for them to this because the schollie chances will be enhanced because you will avoid career altering injury. Ironically some of these same kids who were sold this track are either no longer playing baseball at the higher levels or didn't really get a chance because guess what? They ended up having TJ surgery or constant back or hip issues due to baseball overuse and most of them were also pitchers, but played positions as well where they might have been utlized at the next level.

We also had some kids that either quit football to go baseball only to later comeback to play football or some who got very close to quitting football. Ironically a few of those got injured not playing football, but baseball after all the concern. One of them busted his knee during a summer select game on a sprinkler head diving for a baseball in centerfield. Go figure. Another damaged a shoulder doing some intense weight lifting. But I recall to this day how concerned those kid's parents were and almost obsessive about their boy getting hurt playing football.

What is ironic in all of this is some of our best football and baseball players who went on to play Div 1 college football or baseball (and a few went to the MLB) , played both football and baseball at the high school level. That was before the select or pay to play era really started kicking into high gear. I have to admit I got suckered into that nonsense with my first born when it became the thing to do for baseball around here. It took me a few weeks to figure out something more was at play and said no mas. Thankfully and as much as I hate to say it because I like baseball, my middle kid decided not to play baseball in high school because it seems to be a prerequiste around here to be part of one of these team in order to get the high school coaches to give you the time of day. Actually our program has probably suffered more because of that attitude vs benefited since we haven't been back to the State Tourney since 2011 if I recall correctly. That's about the time the select league thing really got it's jump start in this region.... Ironically.
                        It is just mind blowing to me to see the research and statistics about the risk of injury going way up when you specialize and it doesn't really matter what sport you specialize in. Baseball gets the worst of it because like you said, the majority of specialization happens due to moron select coaches say it will get you scholarships and drafted if you play year round. We had a kid at the small (3A) local school I graduated from, that was a stud baseball player, above average basketball player, and an all district football player. After his sophomore season (or maybe freshman, I don't remember) he decided to go straight baseball. From the time football season was over through the end of that summer, the longest he went without picking up a baseball and playing or practicing at an extremely high level was 1 day. He pops his UCL midway through that summer and continues to play. He obviously had to sit out the next season and I believe had to miss 2 full years because his ortho doc told him that if he wanted to play again at a high level that he had to rest. His doc told him to not pitch again at the high school level due to the stresses on his body. This kid was 14 years old having TJ. And there are literally hundreds if not thousands of stories just like that.

Comment

Originally posted by ASURAM2010 View Post
                          It is just mind blowing to me to see the research and statistics about the risk of injury going way up when you specialize and it doesn't really matter what sport you specialize in. Baseball gets the worst of it because like you said, the majority of specialization happens due to moron select coaches say it will get you scholarships and drafted if you play year round. We had a kid at the small (3A) local school I graduated from, that was a stud baseball player, above average basketball player, and an all district football player. After his sophomore season (or maybe freshman, I don't remember) he decided to go straight baseball. From the time football season was over through the end of that summer, the longest he went without picking up a baseball and playing or practicing at an extremely high level was 1 day. He pops his UCL midway through that summer and continues to play. He obviously had to sit out the next season and I believe had to miss 2 full years because his ortho doc told him that if he wanted to play again at a high level that he had to rest. His doc told him to not pitch again at the high school level due to the stresses on his body. This kid was 14 years old having TJ. And there are literally hundreds if not thousands of stories just like that.
                          Oh yea. It's not uncommon to see kids around here about that age with a sling and when you don't see a full arm cast, you know it's TJ without even having to ask. Especially if they don't play football, so that rules out collar bone and shoulder injuries for the most part.

I marvel at the amount of money parents will spend on the select thing as well. Sadly with some of my boys class and teammates, their parents spent enough to probably pay for four years of college or close to it at a public university. And their sons didn't play one inning of college baseball. I think some of that was from general burnout of being pushed by their parents with the select league stuff and when we lost in the Regional Final a couple of years ago, you could see some of the kids faces as they were not that upset and they were glad it was over and I think it might of shocked their parents too.

It got so ridiculous when my oldest was playing spring league ball while in upper grade and middle school, they had kids who played select and league ball at the same time. The parents were so gung ho about their kid playing on such and such team, some of the league games had to be cancelled because not enough kids would show up. That eventually started a rebellion with league parents who told the board you either tell the team their kids show up or you forfeit. Then you had parents who would rush their kids from the league games to the select games which in some cases were 30 mins away and you could read the body language on the kids they didn't want to go. Some parents are idiots!

Comment

A's are meeting with Kyler today. His plan is to declare for the NFL draft tomorrow.

The A's are going to do their best to convince him to honor his BB contact.

This should be VERY interesting!!!

Comment

Last I heard, they were only a few million from Kyler's asking price of $15M.

Will the A's actually pay him that kind of $?? LMAO

It's great to have bargaining power!

Comment

Deal is close. A's got MLB approval to sign Kyler to a Major contract, instead of Minor.

What's Ky gonna do??

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X