Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Allen HS Kyler Murray Wins Heisman

Originally posted by Brandon View Post
    In some ways we are lucky here in KC that the weather makes baseball nearly impossible from mid October to late March. Our hitters aren't as good as the kids in Texas who can play all year but the pitchers are much healthier. There is a saying in the college ranks about going south for position players and north for pitchers. Most of our kids don't leave their fastball on the East Cobb diamond.
    I'd kill for some bad weather to slow our sports lives down some right now. All four of ours are playing basketball right now from elementary to high school, between Jan 1 and mid-March we have 64 basketball games to go to. This is after 4 months of 3 of them playing football and my daughter cheerleading.

Comment

Originally posted by LionFan View Post
      I'd kill for some bad weather to slow our sports lives down some right now. All four of ours are playing basketball right now from elementary to high school, between Jan 1 and mid-March we have 64 basketball games to go to. This is after 4 months of 3 of them playing football and my daughter cheerleading.
      HAHAHAHA. Been there, done this!

The sad part is that because of the modern day hustle-bustle, life blows by and all of a sudden your kids are grown.

Do yourself & your family a favor....take one season off to just enjoy SIMPLE life. Dont do anything that costs $ (ok if it costs little). Make your own fun with your family. Stay away from all things commercialized......it will be the best "season" of your life. FOOD FOR THOUGHT.
      Last edited by ASUPops; 02-26-2019, 03:19 PM.

Comment

Surprisingly the best extracurricular activity we've done was Drum and bugle corps. Playing all day in the heat with a #5 bass drum, getting yelled at like you're in basic training and traveling all summer across the country prepared our son for the Corps of Cadets and OCS better than anything else he did growing up by 10,000%.

The bonus for he and I was traveling halfway across the state monthly during the spring and fall and finding some incredible BBQ joints.
        Who was the first person to look at a cow and say, "I think I'll squeeze these dangly things here, and drink whatever comes out?"

Comment

Originally posted by JavsFan View Post
          Surprisingly the best extracurricular activity we've done was Drum and bugle corps. Playing all day in the heat with a #5 bass drum, getting yelled at like you're in basic training and traveling all summer across the country prepared our son for the Corps of Cadets and OCS better than anything else he did growing up by 10,000%.

The bonus for he and I was traveling halfway across the state monthly during the spring and fall and finding some incredible BBQ joints.

Comment

Originally posted by Techster88 View Post
            Tarleton has reinstated their Corp of Cadets also. .
            $1,000-$4,500 per year. Corps scholarships are both need and merit based.

Comment

A couple of kids from my oldest son's high school class received scholarships for competitive sports shooting up at Schreiner in Kerrville. And they were not chump change type of schollies.

If I were a kid today, me thinks I would have done something like this to try to get some college money. Other options include the competitive fishing circuit and golf. If I lived in snow country, skiing would be on the table too. I think TAMUK has schollies available for rodeo and I'm sure the same is available for other schools like Tarleton and WTAM who have strong Ag programs.

What a good deal. Unlike football, baseball, basketball, etc., one can get compensated and improve skills for a sport which will become a life time hobby.

Comment

Originally posted by ASUPops View Post
                HAHAHAHA. Been there, done this!

The sad part is that because of the modern day hustle-bustle, life blows by and all of a sudden your kids are grown.

Do yourself & your family a favor....take one season off to just enjoy SIMPLE life. Dont do anything that costs $ (ok if it costs little). Make your own fun with your family. Stay away from all things commercialized......it will be the best "season" of your life. FOOD FOR THOUGHT.
                Yep. My second child graduates from high school in a few months. He is our Y2K baby and it's hard to believe how fast it went.

And I concur with the slow things down thing. Best thing is to go where cell phone service is sporadic at best. I can think of a few places in the Hill Country and the Big Bend where the "no service" pops up on your cell phone.

Comment

Kyler Murray is unique

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.sbn...lahoma-offense

Comment

Some food for thought....

Why Participation is Decreasing in High School Softball

https://www.linkedin.com/content-gue...K-2H7TmSa_3asI

Comment

Originally posted by LSC Fan View Post

I think there are some valid points in her criticism. I also think that, while they should be respected as educators, high school coaches are often not as good at coaching and development as their club counterparts.

Comment

Originally posted by LSC Fan View Post

Comment

Tennis, great. One on one. You either win or lose. Win enough and no one can politic you. Golf. Golf is a great sport because you post a score. You can't argue with scores. A 71 is a 71. A kid who posts a 71 average is better than a kid who posts a 76 average. It's not subjective. Politics be damned. Same way in track. A 15 ft pole vault beats a 14 ft vault. Individual sports allow an athlete to go as far as their talent and desire will take them.

Comment

Originally posted by Brandon View Post
                            I think there are some valid points in her criticism. I also think that, while they should be respected as educators, high school coaches are often not as good at coaching and development as their club counterparts.
                            Educators are not staying in coaching like they used to years ago and I mean years ago going back to even before I was in high school back in the 80's. I can count on several hands how many people I know who used to coach at the high school level and were damn good at it who gave it up in their 30's to make money elsewhere. Men, who if they would have stuck to it, might have very well have become successful Head Coaches and/ or AD's down the road and command the big dollars.

Comment

Baseball/ Softball has to be one of the most frustrating sports for kids to play today vs back in the day. If a kid has select league on his resume and a parent(s) who make sure it's known to all who need to know and even to those who don't care, in some programs he/she will get invited to the front of the line. I've see some very good programs almost destroy themselves or get stuck in a rut because they went this route and pushed kids to the side who worked their asses off before Johnny All Star showed up. They may have kids who are talented and sign baseball schollies to solid baseball programs, but they can't win as a team because you have a majority slate of players out there who play as individuals and not as a team. Oh and in some cases Johnny All Star didn't live up to the Perfect Game ratings or whatever accolades he received before he transferred in. By then it's too late because Coach Starstruck is stuck with a position player who can't bat over .200 and the kid that worked his ass off moved on to better things because he didn't want to become a bench player for the rest of his high school career.
                              Last edited by LSC Fan; 03-04-2019, 12:47 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by BuffaloChip View Post
                                Tennis, great. One on one. You either win or lose. Win enough and no one can politic you. Golf. Golf is a great sport because you post a score. You can't argue with scores. A 71 is a 71. A kid who posts a 71 average is better than a kid who posts a 76 average. It's not subjective. Politics be damned. Same way in track. A 15 ft pole vault beats a 14 ft vault. Individual sports allow an athlete to go as far as their talent and desire will take them.
                                And a kid can get a schollie offer which very well might be better than one he/she might have received playing a team sport.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X