Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

NCAA Schedule Adjustment

Collapse

Support The Site!

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • NCAA Schedule Adjustment



    Division II sports schedules will be shortened for the 2020-21 academic year, the NCAA announced Tuesday.

    Division II football teams will play a maximum of 10 regular-season games, down from 11. Men’s and women’s basketball teams will play no more than 22 regular-season games. Previously, teams could play as many as 26.

    The adjustments are made to help schools manage the economic impact from the COVID-19 pandemic. The changes do not apply to Division I sports.

    “I applaud the NCAA for this quick action to help schools address the disruption and budget shortfalls occurring in higher education,” MIAA commissioner Mike Racy said. “As state tax revenues continue to decline, and state expenses continue to increase, and higher education appropriations in each state continue to shrink, these NCAA reductions in every Division II sport will assist MIAA athletics departments as they make adjustments to their 2020-21 budgets.”

    The schedule reductions include all sports. Women’s volleyball teams can play on a maximum of 20 dates instead of 26. Baseball can play 40 games, down from 50.

    There are also minimum numbers of contests and dates for teams to be eligible for sponsorship and postseason competitions. In football, it’s seven games; it’s 15 for men’s and women’s basketball.

    The measures were approved by the NCAA Division II Presidents Council, and in a statement, the group said the changes were to last for just one year: “Please keep in mind the purpose behind these actions is to assist all institutions with short-term financial concerns so that we may emerge stronger as membership and division,” the statement said.

    The Kansas City-based MIAA said its schedule committee is expected to have new schedules approved by mid-June.
    The Great White Buffalo has Returned

  • #2
    So how will teams decide which ones get cancelled? I have a feeling this is going to cause some ugly schedule issues

    Comment


    • #3
      OOC games will be dropped from the schedule first. Then those with silo schedules only have to cut 1 game. GNAC is going to have the toughest time just trying to get to the minimum of 7 games.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by LionFan View Post
        So how will teams decide which ones get cancelled? I have a feeling this is going to cause some ugly schedule issues
        It should work if every one just drops Commerce.

        Comment


        • #5
          Well it'd definitely give everyone a higher winning %. ;)

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Packfootball View Post
            OOC games will be dropped from the schedule first. Then those with silo schedules only have to cut 1 game. GNAC is going to have the toughest time just trying to get to the minimum of 7 games.
            Right, but most teams have multiple out of conference games. We can drop one and be at 10, but what if all of ours want to drop, then we are at 7 and suddenly multiple games short and screwed in playoff scenarios because they backed out?

            I'd think in our particular position it'd make the most sense to drop Azusa seeing as how closed off California is, but who knows.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by LionFan View Post

              Right, but most teams have multiple out of conference games. We can drop one and be at 10, but what if all of ours want to drop, then we are at 7 and suddenly multiple games short and screwed in playoff scenarios because they backed out?

              I'd think in our particular position it'd make the most sense to drop Azusa seeing as how closed off California is, but who knows.
              It could get ugly for Azusa, our first game - I would think we would drop them also.
              The Great White Buffalo has Returned

              Comment


              • #8
                The Lone Star is going to be a mess in other sports just due to the size of the conference.
                The Great White Buffalo has Returned

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by LionFan View Post

                  Right, but most teams have multiple out of conference games. We can drop one and be at 10, but what if all of ours want to drop, then we are at 7 and suddenly multiple games short and screwed in playoff scenarios because they backed out?

                  I'd think in our particular position it'd make the most sense to drop Azusa seeing as how closed off California is, but who knows.
                  I think the GNAC teams will get hurt for sure. The LSC could just cancel all games except conference games and be fine. 7 D2 games without traveling far and playoff eligible. I hope it does not happen but I see this sort of scenario could happen.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Wouldn't that be nearly impossible to make playoffs through if you've got 7 vs others having 10?

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by LionFan View Post
                      Wouldn't that be nearly impossible to make playoffs through if you've got 7 vs others having 10?
                      I think you have to have at least 8 or 9 D2 games to be eligible for the playoffs? If so you better go 8-0. Anything less you lose a tiebreaker to everyone else especially if you are a GNAC team. Maybe those playoffs rules will be relaxed for this year as well.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Buffalo/Islander Alum View Post

                        I think you have to have at least 8 or 9 D2 games to be eligible for the playoffs? If so you better go 8-0. Anything less you lose a tiebreaker to everyone else especially if you are a GNAC team. Maybe those playoffs rules will be relaxed for this year as well.
                        For next year the number of games for playoffs has been changed to 7.
                        The Great White Buffalo has Returned

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Great White Buffalo View Post

                          For next year the number of games for playoffs has been changed to 7.
                          Ah ok thanks for the clarification. Premise stays the same. Go undefeated and remove all doubt.

                          Comment

                          Ad3

                          Collapse
                          Working...
                          X