Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What will the season look like?

So I was listening to a podcast today and they made it pretty obvious that we will have a football season. The big question that they were bringing up was how will the season look. Will it be only in conference games? Will there be fans or no fans at the games. How will the small programs survive? The P5 has lucrative TV deals that they can fall back on but every one else is out of luck. Will they broadcast games over local tv stations to try and bring in additional revenue and keep the fan base alive?

What do you guys think?

I think it will be an interesting 18 months ahead. Especially since the NCAA, as of a few days ago, has not made a decision about 2020 Fall sports yet.

Some strange times lie ahead....and I WILL not even begin to predict what will happen.

Comment

I feel bad trying to jump the gun and at the risk of sounding insensitive, I am just curious what you guys think will happen. Even most of the football analyst have started saying on twitter thats it's obvious the NCAA is going to allow competitions again in the fall. Especially with them opening up spring workouts in pretty much all the conferences by June.

Some of the scenarios that were in the podcast were..... intresting. Everything they said was pretty much brought up by somebody in a conference or from an analyst. They suggested playing only conference games to shut down the amount of travel and the amount of games. Plus extending the weeks in between games so that the season is longer to test for positives and effectively eliminate bowl season except for the playoffs.

As for fans in the stands they said that even California Schools where running numbers about how they would social distance in a stadium. Probably at around 25% capacity. The biggest question the podcasters where asking was at what point is it ridiculous to open the stadium. Like 25% for Michigan is 25k people. But 25% for WT is like 2.5K. They both just said there was no point even opening the stadiums but to play in empty stadiums because it's not worth the risk to fans and would be impossible to keep things like handrails clean.

Which is what made me think, how would this all look for our "smaller" schools. We don't have Power 5 TV deals to supplement lost money. To make up revenue would everything be broadcast on the new LSC digital network? Would our conference or schools look at things like charging per game stream or maybe adding commercials of their own from local business to make some more funds to offset what they are losing. Last was the idea that made the most sense to me, actually putting it on local television. Maybe try and sign a local TV deal for the year so the fans don't have to pay but maybe they can receive some funds from like the local PBS.
      Last edited by BuffTough; 05-23-2020, 04:30 PM.

Comment

Don't know if you heard McBroom on his Zoom meeting or not. As far as dollars are concerned Wt is in good shape to weather the storm. He also said they have several seating plans in place for ticketing based on a percentage of capacity. IMHO seating will be somewhere around 50% of capacity. Most seating plans involve using every other row. With some people staying home, for obvious reasons, if Wt is able to use 50% I don't think it will be a problem getting good crowds. Hosting playoff games would be a different story.

As for scheduling, that is a bigger problem. Football is the easy one. 11 games - 7 LSC - 4 OOC. One OOC will need to go. Have no idea who. Looks like VB - MBB - WBB, will play everyone one time and be close to the max. Basketball might still pay 2 against the pod opponents with Tarleton leaving. I have no idea about Softball and baseball. I hope by spring sports some adjustments can be made.
        The Great White Buffalo has Returned

Comment

Comment

Comment

We had a patient, 32 years old, who just two weeks ago said the EXACT same thing. He passed away last Monday. GOD rest his soul.

Some people LOVE Russian Roulette.....5 players will be absolutely fine. 1 will not. Pretty good odds. Wanna play??

And FYI, Doctors are NOT running this country by any stretch of the imagination. Attorneys & Politicians (usually one in the same) run this country. If Doctors ran this country, SARS CoV2 would not be the issue it has become.

Enjoy your "games". Lol.

Comment

This selfish entitled attitude that we see now is pretty telling, I'm shocked it is coming from many who are religious. I would think the whiny liberals would be the ones complaining that they can't go out to eat or get their hair did. You can frost your tips later don't worry. If the lord has already appointed a time for your death I assume you don't go to the doctor, wear your seat belt, or drive the speed limit right? I mean, what's it matter at that point?

What rights are currently taken away from you? Did soldiers die for the right for you to get a haircut, I must've missed that one. Your whining is a joke and the fact that you try to justify it via the sacrificed lives of others even more so. Your decisions impact more than yourself.

Comment

So many idiots, so little time.

Comment

Iowa State announced 50% of the capacity for attendance to football games. That's 30,000 fans. They currently have 22,000 season ticket holders renew their tickets.
                    If they have 30,000 season ticket holders I guess thee students are out of luck?!?

I would think that 50% of capacity would be the "new normal." With Wt seating 10,000 (I think) 5,000 should work for most games.
                    Last edited by Great White Buffalo; 05-26-2020, 04:26 PM.

Comment

Thx GWB for getting us back on track. 5000 would be good. Wonder how the will handle concessions and gate entry. Those are really the only bottlenecks. If they have time I bet they can get some type of app to where you can order and maybe students bring it to your seat. Maybe you type your seat number.

Comment

Originally posted by BuffTough View Post
                        Thx GWB for getting us back on track. 5000 would be good. Wonder how the will handle concessions and gate entry. Those are really the only bottlenecks. If they have time I bet they can get some type of app to where you can order and maybe students bring it to your seat. Maybe you type your seat number.
                        I also wonder how the food service at the club level will be handled.

MLB has an app like you are talking about for certain seating sections, have used it in San Fran.
                        With Wt's internet in the stadium, that shouldn't be a problem. Good idea.

Comment

Originally posted by ASUPops View Post

We had a patient, 32 years old, who just two weeks ago said the EXACT same thing. He passed away last Monday. GOD rest his soul.

Some people LOVE Russian Roulette.....5 players will be absolutely fine. 1 will not. Pretty good odds. Wanna play??

And FYI, Doctors are NOT running this country by any stretch of the imagination. Attorneys & Politicians (usually one in the same) run this country. If Doctors ran this country, SARS CoV2 would not be the issue it has become.

Enjoy your "games". Lol.
                          Nice try. Except the mortality rate for COVID 19 is about 2 out of 1000. And I do like those odds compared to losing my rights and livelihood.

Comment

Oh boy....

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X