Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Texas A&M Kingsville - time to move up to D1-FCS

Originally posted by Tech Boys View Post
    To emphasize this point. All 13 SEC softball teams (Vandy does not have a team) made the tourney. Texas A&M was last in the standings at 6-18 (SEC), 28-25 (ALL). The conference schedule format has its teams play only 8 of the 12 mates for 3 games each. It's espn over-hype.
    Another reason I hate the dang SEC! SEC! SEC!

They pad the schedules in all their sports with non conference games and then get by with this non sense. At least when the Big 12 really was 12 teams, they made the other division teams play each other more often vs what the SEC! SEC! SEC! does. I mean the hated Sips has played UGA more than aggy this decade and what they are going on their 7th year in the dog and pony show ESPN hyped drivel of a conference? Cut out the non conference cupcake game in November and fricken man up and get one more conference game in so they can play their cross division teams more often! Absolutely pathetic.

Comment

Has anyone here mentioned the fact that the $2 million influx of cash from the NCAA would be completely offset by how much you'd have to pay to play in Division I? :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Comment

Originally posted by gruesome View Post
        Has anyone here mentioned the fact that the $2 million influx of cash from the NCAA would be completely offset by how much you'd have to pay to play in Division I? :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
        Nah, going D1 solves all problems so why would anyone even contemplate that!

Comment

The same group that put out this email were the leaders in trying to get the name changed back to A&I a few years ago. They gave it their best shot and had a little momentum behind them too, but it was never going to happen. And it never will. In other words they should spend their efforts and remaining active years (some of these folks are getting up there) in trying to improve on what we have and frankly they are kind of one of the aforementioned stakeholders who need to be engaged in the process. But they have to be willing to engage themselves and let the A&I issue RIP.
          Last edited by LSC Fan; 05-15-2019, 08:48 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by javs26 View Post
            May 14, 2019

Texas A&I Alumni Association
            114 S. University Blvd.
            Kingsville, Texas 78363

2 Million Reasons

Did you ever wonder why all our old Lone Star Conference opponents left Division II to become NCAA Div.1-FCS teams? There are $2 MILLION worth of reasons. It is a little known fact that the NCAA distributes its $600 million in TV earnings among ALL the schools which are members of D1 (the larger FBS schools and the smaller FCS schools). Naturally, the big boys get the lion's share of those funds, but the FCS schools get a sizeable cut.

That distribution averages $1 million per year for FCS schools. In addition, the TV contracts of D1-FCS conferences generate another $250,000 per school annually. Then, guaranteed "money" games against the big budget D1-FBS teams like A&M, LSU, and Nebraska pay $600,000 per game or more. Many D1-FCS teams play two such games a year. But, a school has to have D1 to status to be eligible for those kind of paydays.

What would another $2 million do for the Javelina programs? First, it would assure that we could afford to offer the full number of scholarships allowed by the NCAA in each sport. Unfortunately, we currently offer only 27 of the 36 scholarships allowed in D2 for football. That puts us at a 25% disadvantage before a game even starts. It is like playing a basketball game with four players instead of five. No wonder we have struggled in the last few years!. But, that was a faulty budget decision made by TAMUK leadership in the past. TAMUK can certainly afford to fund all the scholarships allowed since the school has averaged a $10 million surplus annually over the last several years.

The financial windfall of upgrading to D1-FCS is why SFA, Sam Houston, Texas State (SWT), Central Arkansas, and Abilene Christian bailed out of D2 years ago. Each has gone on to become highly successful at the D1-FCS level. The neighboring Southland Conference is a D1-FCS conference which includes many former LSC schools. All its members are conveniently located in Texas, Louisiana, and Arkansas. The SLC has a very lucrative TV contract with ESPN and several cable companies which permit each of its schools to appear on national or regional TV broadcasts several times each year. TV exposure is the drawing card for premier athletes which is simply not on the table for D2 programs. The stark reality is that top athletes would prefer to go to a D1 school than a D2 school.

Currently, TAMUK spends $8+ million on athletics. Another $2 million in revenue from becoming a D1-FCS member would put us at the $10+ million level. That is the athletic budget range of McNeese State which has been a perennial powerhouse at the D1-FCS level for the last 40 years!

Now we need to build the urgency and momentum necessary for the current TAMUK leadership to take the initiative to move up to D1 while the opportunity exists. Tarleton and Texas A&M-Commerce are already actively considering the move. Let's don't allow ourselves to get left behind again with the likes of Western New Mexico!

Email and Call TAMUK President Mark Hussey today to urge him make the decision to move up to D1-FCS for the future of our alma mater and to increase its standing and visibility in Texas. His email address is [email protected]
            361-593-3209

Thanks for your help. Do it today!

Watch For Upcoming Email

Javelina Athletic Facility
            Proposal by Jim Browm

For More Information
            979-255-5412

Thanks again for the misinformation. You A&I til I die guys really know how to push the bull**** without regard for honesty.

Lets compare to Stephen F. Austin. They are on your list and their budget is readily available (LINK) and pretty good on detailing both revenue sources and amounts and expenditures.

A quick comparison of the Javelina budget vs. SFA budget shows that
            SFA operating revenues are $1,454,000 vs. $621,750 here a difference of $832,250.
            SFA operational expenses are $9,043,990 vs. $4,584,986 here, a difference of $4,458,914.
            SFA scholarship expenses are $3,883,272 vs. $2,098,000, a difference of $1,785,272.

So increasing revenue by $832,250 is worth increasing expenses by $6,244,186?

Bottom line...
            Both programs are heavily reliant on student fees to subsidize athletics. Going to DI just makes the subsidy that much more.

(and I don't think ESPN3 and ESPN+ really qualify as a lucrative TV contract).
            Who was the first person to look at a cow and say, "I think I'll squeeze these dangly things here, and drink whatever comes out?"

Comment

Originally posted by Techster88 View Post
              Nah, going D1 solves all problems so why would anyone even contemplate that!
              Hahahahahahaha

Comment

No!! Why would anyone mess up this "movement" with FACTS?

Comment

Originally posted by JavsFan View Post
                  Thanks again for the misinformation. You A&I til I die guys really know how to push the bull**** without regard for honesty.

Lets compare to Stephen F. Austin. They are on your list and their budget is readily available (LINK) and pretty good on detailing both revenue sources and amounts and expenditures.

SFA operating revenues are $1,454,000 vs. $621,750 here a difference of $832,250.
                  SFA operational expenses are $9,043,990 vs. $4,584,986 here, a difference of $4,458,914.
                  SFA scholarship expenses are $3,883,272 vs. $2,098,000, a difference of $1,785,272.

Bottom line...
                  Both programs are heavily reliant on student fees to subsidize athletics. Going to DI just makes the subsidy that much more.

Right. Because one, they are on streaming services. And two, most of them are broadcasts of the home teams video feed which is provided on the athletic website for a small fee or free.

Comment

Originally posted by JavsFan View Post

Bottom line...

Comment

Or the "fact" that TAMUK has an athletic budget of $8MM?

Comment

I don't think nickels showed a profit. Any school having to tax students to run the program isn't making a profit at least by my accounting.

Comment

Originally posted by Herb Street View Post
                          I don't think nickels showed a profit. Any school having to tax students to run the program isn't making a profit at least by my accounting.
                          Your accounting standards are WRONG......based on that logic every credit card company/bank that charges a FEE to card holders isn't making a profit. FYI - According to the last Louisiana Legislative Audit, Nichols Athletic Excess Revenues Over Expenses was $137,013 for ALL athletic program. It would have been much, much higher, but Non-Athletic Support/Admin salaries were very high ($833,000). The football program actually made $190,00+ profit.

Comment

Originally posted by ASUPops View Post
                            Your accounting standards are WRONG......based on that logic every credit card company/bank that charges a FEE to card holders isn't making a profit. FYI - According to the last Louisiana Legislative Audit, Nichols Athletic Excess Revenues Over Expenses was $137,013 for ALL athletic program. It would have been much, much higher, but Non-Athletic Support/Admin salaries were very high ($833,000). The football program actually made $190,00+ profit.
                            Was that with cash accounting or accrual accounting? It sounds like cash accounting. If they had $237,013 in accounts payable at the end of their fiscal year, they would have a $100,000 loss.
                            Last edited by BuffaloChip; 05-17-2019, 10:14 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by BuffaloChip View Post
                              Was that with cash accounting or actual accounting? It sounds like cash accounting. If they had $237,013 in accounts payable at the end of their fiscal year, they would have a $100,000 loss.
                              Last edited by Techster88; 05-17-2019, 08:28 PM.

Comment

My post had a misspelling: accrual accounting not actual.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X