Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A&M-Commerce's Hawkins Field @ Memorial Stadium getting some big upgrades.

Collapse

Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: A&M-Commerce's Hawkins Field @ Memorial Stadium getting some big upgrad

Originally posted by BuffaloChip View Post
    If I remember correctly, about $30M at WT came from students voting for a fee increase to pay for a bond issue. About another $10M will be paid for by revenue mostly from the sale of stadium based/athletic department advertising, luxury boxes, ticket revenue, etc.
    How large was the fee increase? And I would guess the bond would be one of those very long term types that will be paid off when today's current student great grandchildren are attending?

TAMUK increased their student athletic fees to pay for the tennis, beach volleyball and intramural complex on campus which was opened up a couple years ago. At the time, I wasn't sure this was the best way utilize that method as it should have been a card to do the much need renovations to Javelina Stadium and some of the other facilities that need some minor updating like baseball and softball fields. But then again the guy who was AD at the time decide to lower football's profile and we are paying the price for it.

I don't think we need a complete stadium rebuild as we can still use the bones of the concrete side of the stadium. But what we do need as witnessed by the pic I posted on the storm damage thread is total rebuild of the west side in the form of a concrete structure and with that a relocation of the main press box to that side of the stadium with the addition of suites and other amenities. And a new locker room/ training complex located either on the south of north end zone. This will get us on the right track for sure.

Comment

Originally posted by LSC Fan View Post
      How large was the fee increase? And I would guess the bond would be one of those very long term types that will be paid off when today's current student great grandchildren are attending?

TAMUK increased their student athletic fees to pay for the tennis, beach volleyball and intramural complex on campus which was opened up a couple years ago. At the time, I wasn't sure this was the best way utilize that method as it should have been a card to do the much need renovations to Javelina Stadium and some of the other facilities that need some minor updating like baseball and softball fields. But then again the guy who was AD at the time decide to lower football's profile and we are paying the price for it.

I don't think we need a complete stadium rebuild as we can still use the bones of the concrete side of the stadium. But what we do need as witnessed by the pic I posted on the storm damage thread is total rebuild of the west side in the form of a concrete structure and with that a relocation of the main press box to that side of the stadium with the addition of suites and other amenities. And a new locker room/ training complex located either on the south of north end zone. This will get us on the right track for sure.
      $12.00 per semester hour.

Comment

Originally posted by AngeloFan View Post
        I think SISD kicked in some and Tarleton used some state bond money that has to be repaid from athletics funds.
        I also think some of the stadium money was from the state legislature. Also received some money from Stephenville ISD for locker rooms.

Comment

Originally posted by GoBuffsGo View Post
          $12.00 per semester hour.
          $180 more a semester @ 5 classes....or $1,440 per student who graduates with a Bachelors. And since most kids take student loans, and interest runs between 3.4%-8%.....tag on another 5% interest.

That's a HEFTY price to pay for a handful of games a year that the majority of kids couldn't give a rats azz about. YIKES!

That will only take about 26K+ graduating students to pay. DOUBLE YIKES!!

Comment

A lot of alums and fans are upset with the Lion head going away, but I don't have a problem with it. It will save us 65k a year in maintaining the field and that can go to a new or revamped press box or the numerous issues with the West Side of the stadium, like new bathrooms, wheelchair access, and other things. Still, that stadium has come a country mile from where it was when I first set foot on campus.

Plus, I would be more excited for a 7800 square feet addition to the Locker Rooms for an actual football facility than a huge logo on the field.

Either way, McMurray is a smart AD and I trust him. Sometimes being a leader means doing the unpopular thing.

Comment

Originally posted by TheLionWire View Post
              A lot of alums and fans are upset with the Lion head going away, but I don't have a problem with it. It will save us 65k a year in maintaining the field and that can go to a new or revamped press box or the numerous issues with the West Side of the stadium, like new bathrooms, wheelchair access, and other things. Still, that stadium has come a country mile from where it was when I first set foot on campus.

Plus, I would be more excited for a 7800 square feet addition to the Locker Rooms for an actual football facility than a huge logo on the field.

Either way, McMurray is a smart AD and I trust him. Sometimes being a leader means doing the unpopular thing.
              It costs 65K per year to have that ugly lion on the football field? Getting rid of it is the best move the AD has made in a long time then!

Comment

Originally posted by ASURAM2010 View Post
                It costs 65K per year to have that ugly lion on the football field? Getting rid of it is the best move the AD has made in a long time then!
                Yeah, I guess it gets coated in gold leaf before every game or something?

Comment

Originally posted by JakeTAMUC View Post
                  Yeah, I guess it gets coated in gold leaf before every game or something?
                  Seriously, thats a lot of coin every year. I know the logo is huge, but what kind of maintenance has to be done every year that costs 65K...someone's brother a turf installer?

Comment

Originally posted by ASURAM2010 View Post
                    Seriously, thats a lot of coin every year. I know the logo is huge, but what kind of maintenance has to be done every year that costs 65K...someone's brother a turf installer?
                    I'm pretty sure they meant it costed $65k to have the head on the field when it was installed. I don't see why it would cost a penny to maintain the Lions head.

Comment

If they`d just sell the golden throne the assistants used to carry Colby around campus on they'd have plenty of money for whatever we need.

Comment

Originally posted by LionFan View Post
                        I'm pretty sure they meant it costed $65k to have the head on the field when it was installed. I don't see why it would cost a penny to maintain the Lions head.
                        Grooming.

Comment

Feed??

Comment

https://dribbble.com/shots/2446007-ETSU-Commerce-Lion

Comment

Lucky the Lion is our mascot. That's just a vintage logo of him

Comment

Lucky the Lion is our mascot. That's just a vintage logo of him
                                Last edited by Techster88; 06-11-2019, 06:51 PM.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X