Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A&M-Commerce's Hawkins Field @ Memorial Stadium getting some big upgrades.

Collapse

Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: A&M-Commerce's Hawkins Field @ Memorial Stadium getting some big upgrad

Me PERSONALLY, I prefer "old school" football stadiums. I prefer grass over artificial turf. I prefer nostalgic stadiums.....with long traditions.

You can keep the AT&T Stadium, Allen Eagle Stadium, etc.... and give me places like Lambeau Field.

Comment

Originally posted by ASUPops View Post
      Me PERSONALLY, I prefer "old school" football stadiums. I prefer grass over artificial turf. I prefer nostalgic stadiums.....with long traditions.

You can keep the AT&T Stadium, Allen Eagle Stadium, etc.... and give me places like Lambeau Field.

Comment

That might be true for some....but I know dozens & dozens of players that selected programs who had worse stadiums & facilities than their HS.

There are more universities that have less as far as stadium & facilities than Allen HS.....but that doesn't stop recruiting.

Not sure I want players who care more about stadiums or unis than the program and system.

Some of the top reasons my son selected Angelo State (in order):

(1) Offensive System
        (2) Known as a top school for the Major he wanted
        (3) Possibility of playing freshman year
        (4) Recruiter (Gascamp)
        (5) Dorm rooms
        (6) San Angelo's amenities
        (7) 4 1/2 hours from home

Never once did he talk about the stadium or uniforms. But he played two season of football a year from 2nd grade thru 10th grade. Then 4 seasons of arena football 6th-9th, and of course 4 years of 7/7 in HS. So he played 26 SEASONS of football before he ever reached college. Because of that, he has played in every type of stadium and on every type of field possible. From Florida to Nevada. When you are a PLAYER, the stadium and unis don't matter. BUT of course he liked nice facilities & fields, and loved nice unis....but it was at the bottom of the priority list. Same goes for just about every PLAYER I have coached and or known for 36 years. The only players that all that bling really mattered to were "B" players or non-starters.

Comment

Originally posted by ASUPops View Post
          That might be true for some....but I know dozens & dozens of players that selected programs who had worse stadiums & facilities than their HS.

There are more universities that have less as far as stadium & facilities than Allen HS.....but that doesn't stop recruiting.

Not sure I want players who care more about stadiums or unis than the program and system.

Some of the top reasons my son selected Angelo State (in order):

(1) Offensive System
          (2) Known as a top school for the Major he wanted
          (3) Possibility of playing freshman year

(4) Recruiter (Gascamp)
          (5) Dorm rooms
          (6) San Angelo's amenities
          (7) 4 1/2 hours from home

Never once did he talk about the stadium or uniforms. But he played two season of football a year from 2nd grade thru 10th grade. Then 4 seasons of arena football 6th-9th, and of course 4 years of 7/7 in HS. So he played 26 SEASONS of football before he ever reached college. Because of that, he has played in every type of stadium and on every type of field possible. From Florida to Nevada. When you are a PLAYER, the stadium and unis don't matter. BUT of course he liked nice facilities & fields, and loved nice unis....but it was at the bottom of the priority list. Same goes for just about every PLAYER I have coached and or known for 36 years. The only players that all that bling really mattered to were "B" players or non-starters.
          Those two should be the most important.

Comment

Commerce just announced a 10 YEAR extension of our deal with Under Armor. Seems pretty extensive for a DII contract with a single school, no? I could see a 10 year deal with a Conference maybe, or an A&M system-wide extension that long, but no complaints from me - just surprised.

Comment

Originally posted by JakeTAMUC View Post
              Commerce just announced a 10 YEAR extension of our deal with Under Armor. Seems pretty extensive for a DII contract with a single school, no? I could see a 10 year deal with a Conference maybe, or an A&M system-wide extension that long, but no complaints from me - just surprised.
              I actually like the commerce uniforms...speaking basketball and football. It's cool they are locked down for a bit .The designs and everything are top notch. I was disappointed in the WT uniforms this past year.

Comment

At some point it needs to dawn on the big shots around here that continuing to throw money at that stadium by slapping on new additions every year or 2 is a losing proposition. It's a 70 yr old facility with terrible stands, rest rooms, and very poor handicap access. If they do anything at all to it, it should be with an eye toward making it a top notch track and field facility and they should be tucking this money away for construction of a football only venue. Enough is enough with this stadium. If Bailiff manages to not screw up what Colby left him here, we should continue to be a premier d2 program. They need to start thinking like that will be the case for the foreseeable future and invest in excellence instead of propping up an outdated, inferior facility with quick fixes.
                Were you there in the 70's and early 80's with the old cinder track, stands on one side, and a scoreboard that looked like it belonged at a middle school auxiliary field? You obviously didn't see some of the trash heaps we played in during the playoff run in 2017. Central Washington didn't have visitors stands or lights. Winona State looked a high school stadium. Western New Mexico looks like a prison facility. Does The Hawk need work? Yes. Does it need a new press box? Yes. Work is being done. It's a great old stadium that is magic on Saturday afternoons.

Comment

Originally posted by rmclean View Post
                  Were you there in the 70's and early 80's with the old cinder track, stands on one side, and a scoreboard that looked like it belonged at a middle school auxiliary field? You obviously didn't see some of the trash heaps we played in during the playoff run in 2017. Central Washington didn't have visitors stands or lights. Winona State looked a high school stadium. Western New Mexico looks like a prison facility. Does The Hawk need work? Yes. Does it need a new press box? Yes. Work is being done. It's a great old stadium that is magic on Saturday afternoons.
                  The suckiness of other school stadiums is not my concern. It isnt a great old stadium. I remember the one sided stands and the crappy scoreboard, and Winona has a far better facility than we do, even if it looks high school. I attend games with a handicapped individual and it is terrible for her. I watch elderly people, every single game, tripping over the ridiculous uneven steps. It's only a matter of time before one of them busts their skull in there. We got our 300k worth out of that place. It ain't Lambeau, Fenway, or Wrigley (and our building is older than Lambeau). It's time for some vision, and time to move on. I'm not gonna romanticize that place. New locker rooms are nice, but not the problem. We are now a top tier DII program, provided Bailiff can keep us there. Time to start behaving like it.

Comment

Originally posted by rmclean View Post

Comment

Its 70 years old.

Comment

Its 70 years old.
                        Jake, my memory only goes back to late seventies. I got a chance to checkout the new tennis courts. They are top notch with the yellow instead of white lines. Cool touch on school colors. One of the best Tennis facilities in the conference minus a team.

Comment

Originally posted by Techster88 View Post
                          Jake, my memory only goes back to late seventies. I got a chance to checkout the new tennis courts. They are top notch with the yellow instead of white lines. Cool touch on school colors. One of the best Tennis facilities in the conference minus a team.
                          Yes, hopefully we are adding a team soon.

Comment

I agree we definitely need either a new stadium or massive renovations

However, I dont really think the new locker rooms have anything to do with the stadium itself, this is just a simple addition of some really good locker rooms while we continue waiting for stadium rebuild/renovations. Everything I've ever seen in terms of stadium upgrades has it occurring at the same location the current stadium is at. Adding the awesome locker rooms now is just step one, I'd think. Once the stadium is redone/rebuilt/whatever they decide to do, it will also include these great new locker rooms. Again, I agree that we definitely need a new/redone stadium, but I dont see how this is putting lipstick on a pig when its basically step one of a bigger picture....it's not repainting steps or putting in new seats. Its a freestanding addition that will be there for a long time, it's not a bandaid with no other plans.

Comment

Originally posted by LionFan View Post
                              I agree we definitely need either a new stadium or massive renovations

However, I dont really think the new locker rooms have anything to do with the stadium itself, this is just a simple addition of some really good locker rooms while we continue waiting for stadium rebuild/renovations. Everything I've ever seen in terms of stadium upgrades has it occurring at the same location the current stadium is at. Adding the awesome locker rooms now is just step one, I'd think. Once the stadium is redone/rebuilt/whatever they decide to do, it will also include these great new locker rooms. Again, I agree that we definitely need a new/redone stadium, but I dont see how this is putting lipstick on a pig when its basically step one of a bigger picture....it's not repainting steps or putting in new seats. Its a freestanding addition that will be there for a long time, it's not a bandaid with no other plans.
                              You are right.

Comment

Thats why Im building a beautiful freakin high end outhouse this year. Eventually I will probably replace my run down house, and when I do the bathroom will already be done!

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X