Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by WT_TKW View Post

Speaking of UTPB, did anyone remember they played yesterday in the Heritage Bowl? I didn't until I looked at the scores pages on the board. They lost to Oklahoma Baptist by 3. That gave them a 5-6 record for the year. I guess the bowl selection committee wasn't bowled over by WT's 7-4 record, as wins against NAIA teams are worthless. https://utpbfalcons.com/news/2021/12...bowl-game.aspx

Speaking of forgettable teams, former LSC weakling Incarnate Word had an 11-3 season this year in D1; their 3 losses were by a total of 18 points. A week ago they beat SFA in the playoffs before losing to Sam Houston yesterday. I'm impressed.

Surprisingly D1 juggernaut Tarleton finished only 6-5, but with some impressive wins over Fort Lewis, New Mexico Highlands, and MSU. However they were squashed by fellow juggernaut ACU, that defeated them 29-3. ACU finished 5-6. Both of these teams need to schedule New Mexico State! Commerce might want to do that too.
    Pssst. You do realize most teams struggle during their first few years of transition? ACU caught the ASU disease of hiring NW Missouri coaches that couldnt hack it outside Missouri.

Tarleton and eventually ACU will be fine. Incarnate Word surprised me a lot.

I now seeing why it is getting exponentially difficult for Kingsville to keep pace in all aspects.

Comment

Originally posted by Buffalo/Islander Alum View Post

Pssst. You do realize most teams struggle during their first few years of transition? ACU caught the ASU disease of hiring NW Missouri coaches that couldnt hack it outside Missouri.

Tarleton and eventually ACU will be fine. Incarnate Word surprised me a lot.

I now seeing why it is getting exponentially difficult for Kingsville to keep pace in all aspects.
      Yes I do. I just like to joke about new D1 teams that look for weak opponents. 6-5 is pretty good for Tarleton's second year in D1.

IW is a big surprise. They went to D1 the same year as ACU, but this year's results are excellent. I'm happy for them.

Speaking of NWM, I was surprised to see that they were run over by The Wheels, losing by 21.

Comment

Originally posted by WT_TKW View Post

Yes I do. I just like to joke about new D1 teams that look for weak opponents. 6-5 is pretty good for Tarleton's second year in D1.

IW is a big surprise. They went to D1 the same year as ACU, but this year's results are excellent. I'm happy for them.

Speaking of NWM, I was surprised to see that they were run over by The Wheels, losing by 21.

Comment

Originally posted by WT&TTECHfan View Post

IWU run looks to be a short lived. Their head coach is taking the OC job at Washington State. Their top qb probably will transfer up there with him.
          That was quick! It's a good move for the coach.

Comment

I think UIW will be fine. I know it's just talk right now, but it's being reported today that Gayle Benson committed the funds needed, "no matter what it takes", to get a blue-chip HC at UIW.

We shall see.

Comment

Great season for the Rams! You kept the LSC in the elite column! Thanks!

Comment

CJ Odom announced today that he is entering the transfer portal. If the other two RBs stick, we should be OK if the Fr RB pans out as advertised. No news about anyone else.

Comment

Originally posted by AngeloFan View Post
                  CJ Odom announced today that he is entering the transfer portal. If the other two RBs stick, we should be OK if the Fr RB pans out as advertised. No news about anyone else.
                  Seems like to me early on that D2 kids enter the portal to give D1 a shot and D1 peeps transfer to be able to start at other D1 schools.

Comment

Observation of the game. I was at the game and going in I thought that asu would be able to control the line of scrimmage on both sides of the ball. More on the Offense. Only because asu dline are big and would have to rotate them more. Defensively, the first quarter went how I thought they were dominate and with pressure and stopping zeman. They converted 1st down. On a great pass. As someone mentioned on then the second quarter. 3rd and 15 and you send the house and I mean everyone and was the biggest blown play since the Midwestern game. Then the second td they scored was again the middle of field left open on a post. The type of offense and qb they have is the playing into there hands. Yes probably a veteran cb who was out this week would have help but the 3 they have are more than capable. Mines scored 3 tds on 3 and longs in 2 of the 3 on stack wr and trips. The rest of the time the receivers were not beating asu dbs. That just means mines out scheme asu. I did see they do spread the ball around because 4 different receivers scored. And going back and watching the game I saw asu did not have a good day tackling also. There were blown assignments also on the offense on some timely sacks by mines that should not have happened
                    Special teams-Shanked punt in 1st quarter. Mines did not move the ball but asu did not flip the field which Mines pinned them back all day on punt and touchback. So you negate the 16 and 22. And asu offense was not in their comfort zone. Punt kicked on opposite side of coverage thus giving up big gain for mines.

ASU O has sputtered on 3rd down all yr and Mines have be good. 3 tds for mines were on 3rd and longs. You stop those. Possibility of 21 points off the board and totally different game.

Asu did not create any TO's which they have been great at all yr as has mines. So it was a pretty clean game from both sides. Matocha was a 70% completion and held to 54% his lowest of the year
                    Zeman ran for 130 plus yrd but actually held under 4 per carry what with his highest carries in a game this yr. That to me shows the difference in asu and mines philosophy. Mines will continue to pound it to wear the defense down. Sometimes I think asu will abandon the run to quick and not at the right time.

But that shows the are gamers cause they did make the big play when needed.

Injuries: RB# Omeyebu OPY in the conference #23 was out and that was huge. Imagine if Zeman was out for Mines??? #23 does not get the 20 to 30 carries Zeman does but try hittng a 240 running back for 25 to 30 carries with an undersize ( but very aggressive) defense the whole game would have help some of those 3 and short asu could not convert. I like all the backs but he is the rb#1 for a reason.

Comment

He had 800+ yards, basically the same as Grear. Not Angelo's All American RB. So....a loss? Yes. A big loss? NO. He was a JUCO looking to start and didn't earn the job.

Angelo's running game will not only be fine,. but I suspect even better next year.

Comment

Originally posted by ASUfam&fan View Post
                        Observation of the game. I was at the game and going in I thought that asu would be able to control the line of scrimmage on both sides of the ball. More on the Offense. Only because asu dline are big and would have to rotate them more. Defensively, the first quarter went how I thought they were dominate and with pressure and stopping zeman. They converted 1st down. On a great pass. As someone mentioned on then the second quarter. 3rd and 15 and you send the house and I mean everyone and was the biggest blown play since the Midwestern game. Then the second td they scored was again the middle of field left open on a post. The type of offense and qb they have is the playing into there hands. Yes probably a veteran cb who was out this week would have help but the 3 they have are more than capable. Mines scored 3 tds on 3 and longs in 2 of the 3 on stack wr and trips. The rest of the time the receivers were not beating asu dbs. That just means mines out scheme asu. I did see they do spread the ball around because 4 different receivers scored. And going back and watching the game I saw asu did not have a good day tackling also. There were blown assignments also on the offense on some timely sacks by mines that should not have happened
                        Special teams-Shanked punt in 1st quarter. Mines did not move the ball but asu did not flip the field which Mines pinned them back all day on punt and touchback. So you negate the 16 and 22. And asu offense was not in their comfort zone. Punt kicked on opposite side of coverage thus giving up big gain for mines.

ASU O has sputtered on 3rd down all yr and Mines have be good. 3 tds for mines were on 3rd and longs. You stop those. Possibility of 21 points off the board and totally different game.

Asu did not create any TO's which they have been great at all yr as has mines. So it was a pretty clean game from both sides. Matocha was a 70% completion and held to 54% his lowest of the year
                        Zeman ran for 130 plus yrd but actually held under 4 per carry what with his highest carries in a game this yr. That to me shows the difference in asu and mines philosophy. Mines will continue to pound it to wear the defense down. Sometimes I think asu will abandon the run to quick and not at the right time.

But that shows the are gamers cause they did make the big play when needed.

Injuries: RB# Omeyebu OPY in the conference #23 was out and that was huge. Imagine if Zeman was out for Mines??? #23 does not get the 20 to 30 carries Zeman does but try hittng a 240 running back for 25 to 30 carries with an undersize ( but very aggressive) defense the whole game would have help some of those 3 and short asu could not convert. I like all the backs but he is the rb#1 for a reason.

Welcome to D2 board.

Great post. I was the one who mentioned the poor d play call. Who the heck blitzes on a 3 & 15? LOL But had they gotten a sack or pressured a bad throw for an INT, we would all be praising the call.

Again, welcome to the board. Look forward to hearing more from you.

Comment

Originally posted by ASUPops View Post

He had 800+ yards, basically the same as Grear. Not Angelo's All American RB. So....a loss? Yes. A big loss? NO. He was a JUCO looking to start and didn't earn the job.

Angelo's running game will not only be fine,. but I suspect even better next year.
                          IMO he saw Cason Phillips coming up fast in his rear view mirror and decided to get out of the way. Phillips has a load of potential. We will see how he develops.

DB Simon Maxey has also entered the transfer portal. That may be a bigger loss

Comment

Originally posted by ASUPops View Post

Welcome to D2 board.

Great post. I was the one who mentioned the poor d play call. Who the heck blitzes on a 3 & 15? LOL But had they gotten a sack or pressured a bad throw for an INT, we would all be praising the call.

Again, welcome to the board. Look forward to hearing more from you.

Comment

IMO he saw Cason Phillips coming up fast in his rear view mirror and decided to get out of the way. Phillips has a load of potential. We will see how he develops.

Comment

You may be right. But I hear there is some serious DB talent stepping up for next year.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X