Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Buffalo/Islander Alum View Post

They can. If WT scheduled both Western Colorado and Colorado Mines. One goes 11-0 while the other goes 10-1 again then it will offset Central Washington's get of Ferris State. Simple math.
    It isn't uncommon at all for CWU to do this. This is the 3rd or 4th time they've scheduled the previous year's champion since coming to D2. Right after UMD won the title CWU went there and won.

Comment

They can. If WT scheduled both Western Colorado and Colorado Mines. One goes 11-0 while the other goes 10-1 again then it will offset Central Washington's get of Ferris State. Simple math.
      Sounds like two losses for WT in that scenario, which would outweigh the SOS benefit.

Comment

Originally posted by Inkblot View Post

Sounds like two losses for WT in that scenario, which would outweigh the SOS benefit.
        The 2015 playoff bracket was one recent example. Ferris State finished 10-0 and Midwestern State finished 10-1. Midwestern State got the nod as the top seed. Of course Midwestern State didn't do anything with it as always but that 11th game can matter. Ask The 2011 Humboldt State Football team that finished 9-1 and didnt make the playoffs even after beating the team in a rematch that gave them their only loss.

Comment

Originally posted by Wildcat Khan View Post

It isn't uncommon at all for CWU to do this. This is the 3rd or 4th time they've scheduled the previous year's champion since coming to D2. Right after UMD won the title CWU went there and won.
          Kudos to them for stepping up. Should pay huge dividends if they have a similar regular season in 2022.

Comment

The 2015 playoff bracket was one recent example. Ferris State finished 10-0 and Midwestern State finished 10-1. Midwestern State got the nod as the top seed. Of course Midwestern State didn't do anything with it as always but that 11th game can matter. Ask The 2011 Humboldt State Football team that finished 9-1 and didnt make the playoffs even after beating the team in a rematch that gave them their only loss.
            If my data is correct, MSU had an SOS of .621 while FSU's was .508. Skip the opener against Truman, and MSU would've still been #1.

Comment

I will take your word for it. I used to run these SOS numbers back in the day but life happened and not even sure if the criteria is the same as back then.

Bottom line if you don't schedule well and finished undefeated then you leave yourself at the mercy of tiebreakers especially if you lose 2 games.

Comment

I will take your word for it. I used to run these SOS numbers back in the day but life happened and not even sure if the criteria is the same as back then.

Bottom line if you don't schedule well and finished undefeated then you leave yourself at the mercy of tiebreakers especially if you lose 2 games.
                If CWU beats FSU and runs the table, I'm pretty sure they're going to be in the playoffs. I -really- doubt that's going to happen, given how Ferris beat up on NW and how NW beat up on CWU... But, if they beat Ferris and lose a game to someone in the LSC, I still think they make it.

Comment

Originally posted by IronOre View Post

If CWU beats FSU and runs the table, I'm pretty sure they're going to be in the playoffs. I -really- doubt that's going to happen, given how Ferris beat up on NW and how NW beat up on CWU... But, if they beat Ferris and lose a game to someone in the LSC, I still think they make it.
                  Well with CWU being in the LSC now that shouldnt be an issue.

This has usually been my rule looking at 10 vs.11 D2 games. Of course there are exceptions.

Undefeated: The 11 D2 schedule undefeated team usually has the better chance at a top seed.
                  1 loss: The 11 D2 scheduled team has a better chance at a home game, possibly 2 if there is parity.
                  2 losses: 11 D2 scheduled team could get the nod over a 10 D2 scheduled team for the playoffs.

Again not always and not an exact science,

If you have only 9 D2 games you better run the table on it. Indianapolis will testify to that.

Comment

The number of games isn't really a factor in itself, as long as the minimum is met. Of course, it can affect things indirectly via the winning percentage and SOS. But remember that CWU made the playoffs with 8 D2 games last season.

Comment

Simon Fraser isn't bothering with non-conference games.
                      https://athletics.sfu.ca/sports/football/schedule/2022

Comment

Simon Fraser isn't bothering with non-conference games.
                        https://athletics.sfu.ca/sports/football/schedule/2022
                        That's only 9 games, so I won't be surprised if they add 1 or 2 more.

Comment

Originally posted by WT_TKW View Post

That's only 9 games, so I won't be surprised if they add 1 or 2 more.
                          They'll diffently add one more if not two. I'm assuming the Oaklanders will be one of the games? I think they'd love to renew their rivalry game with University of British Columbia? I believe UBC has been chicken $hit in playing them. The Canadian posters can answer those questions. I did notice SFU recruited far more Canadian athletes than years past.

Comment

Originally posted by the tav View Post

They'll diffently add one more if not two. I'm assuming the Oaklanders will be one of the games? I think they'd love to renew their rivalry game with University of British Columbia? I believe UBC has been chicken $hit in playing them. The Canadian posters can answer those questions. I did notice SFU recruited far more Canadian athletes than years past.
                            If they played UBC, would it be American rules or Canadian rules?

Comment

If they played UBC, would it be American rules or Canadian rules?
                              Last time they did it, if they played at SFU it's American rules, at UBC it's Canadian.

Comment

Originally posted by IronOre View Post

Last time they did it, if they played at SFU it's American rules, at UBC it's Canadian.
                                It probably also has to do with the field as to which rules are played with the extra 10 yards of length in Canadian football and the goal posts on the goal line. To play by different rules, the goal posts would be need to be moved as in Canadian rules they are 10 yards closer to each other.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X