Collapse

Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

WOU doesn't have any OOC games up yet either.

https://wouwolves.com/sports/football/schedule/2022

Comment

Originally posted by IronOre View Post
      WOU doesn't have any OOC games up yet either.

https://wouwolves.com/sports/football/schedule/2022
      CWU doesn't at this point normally too. That is why it is so good to see Feris State on the schedule. Has anyone checked the RMAC schedules to see what they have available? Sometimes we'd find out about GNAC OOC games from other team's websites.

Comment

WOU schedule at the bottom of this story. I'm very excited about Lone Star membership, though I realize it will be tough. I remember when I saw Angelo State get off the bus a couple years ago in Monmouth, they looked like a good FCS team ... I know, I grew up with FCS football. I like WOU's schedule, though I wish there were 10 games, not 9, oh well.

https://wouwolves.com/news/2022/2/23...-schedule.aspx

Comment

Originally posted by tsull View Post
          WOU schedule at the bottom of this story. I'm very excited about Lone Star membership, though I realize it will be tough. I remember when I saw Angelo State get off the bus a couple years ago in Monmouth, they looked like a good FCS team ... I know, I grew up with FCS football. I like WOU's schedule, though I wish there were 10 games, not 9, oh well.

https://wouwolves.com/news/2022/2/23...-schedule.aspx
          I'm guessing they add games before the season starts.

Comment

Originally posted by Wildcat Khan View Post

CWU doesn't at this point normally too. That is why it is so good to see Feris State on the schedule. Has anyone checked the RMAC schedules to see what they have available? Sometimes we'd find out about GNAC OOC games from other team's websites.
            I think it's great that CWU wants to play the toughest teams. That makes you better. Playing losers just gives you false pride.

I think Ferris will be very good for the foreseeable future. I like their coach. The lacrosse ace is gone, but their backups looked good.

I think Jared Bernhardt will show up in the NFL, but not as a QB. That kid is an amazing, elusive runner. He thought he might be a WR at Ferris but they made him the QB. I don't know if he can catch, but he can certainly get open.

Comment

Originally posted by Inkblot View Post
              The number of games isn't really a factor in itself, as long as the minimum is met. Of course, it can affect things indirectly via the winning percentage and SOS. But remember that CWU made the playoffs with 8 D2 games last season.
              I think they lowered the D2 minimum because of COVID protocol? I could be wrong.

Last year was definitely the exception. Central Washington ended up scheduling the top 2 LSC teams and beating their champ MSU. They had the 1 close loss to ASU.

After all that they still finished the 6th seed behind multiple 2 loss teams and would have held on for dear life for that 7th seed had MSU beaten WT the last game of the year.

Getting that LSC membership will eliminate all that. We shall see how it all plays out.

Comment

Originally posted by Buffalo/Islander Alum View Post

I think they lowered the D2 minimum because of COVID protocol? I could be wrong.

Last year was definitely the exception. Central Washington ended up scheduling the top 2 LSC teams and beating their champ MSU. They had the 1 close loss to ASU.

After all that they still finished the 6th seed behind multiple 2 loss teams and would have held on for dear life for that 7th seed had MSU beaten WT the last game of the year.

Getting that LSC membership will eliminate all that. We shall see how it all plays out.
                My point stands... who you play matters way more than how many games you play.

Comment

No worries and I stand by mine. I think we are both right but I think its more equally important scheduling more D2 games.

Bemidji and Augustana both finish 9-2. 11 D2 games and no non conference games. Both finish way ahead of Central Washington.

NSIC can have that benefit of not taking a risk and scheduling a turd non conference game hence the 3 teams they were able to get into the playoffs because 11 D2 games are assured with their silo schedule.

Real question here is if Central Washington would have gotten in with 2 D2 losses? My thinking is no which would punch a hole in your argument. Definitely no if that second loss was to Midwestern State.

Comment

Ferris State typically plays a 10-game regular season schedule. That didn't seem to bother them last season...
                    Cal U (Pa.) Class of 2014

Comment

Originally posted by ctrabs74 View Post

Ferris State typically plays a 10-game regular season schedule. That didn't seem to bother them last season...
                      No because they were the only team in the region to run the table. It did however hurt them in 2015 when they went undefeated and were second seeded behind a 1 loss Midwestern team.

If someone wants to run the numbers and show me where Central Washington still gets in with 2 losses last year let's take a look at it.

Central Washington has taken care of that problem joining the LSC where they dont have to play round robins and find 5 non conference games (sarcasm).

I will concede its easier to pull that off now that there are 7 playoff teams instead of 6.

You and inkblot have great points. I think we will all continue to chase our tails here and feel our opinion is the best.

Comment

No because they were the only team in the region to run the table. It did however hurt them in 2015 when they went undefeated and were second seeded behind a 1 loss Midwestern team.

If someone wants to run the numbers and show me where Central Washington still gets in with 2 losses last year let's take a look at it.

Central Washington has taken care of that problem joining the LSC where they dont have to play round robins and find 5 non conference games (sarcasm).

I will concede its easier to pull that off now that there are 7 playoff teams instead of 6.

You and inkblot have great points. I think we will all continue to chase our tails here and feel our opinion is the best.
                        Inkblot is pretty dang good at predicting playoff teams, so they have the criteria down pat.

Comment

Originally posted by IronOre View Post

Inkblot is pretty dang good at predicting playoff teams, so they have the criteria down pat.
                          Even Brandon used his information in his weekly show.

Comment

Originally posted by Wildcat Khan View Post

Even Brandon used his information in his weekly show.
                            Guys I never said Inkblot didn't know his stuff. I been back a short time and enjoy all the stuff he puts together. He is great at it.

I was no slouch at it either in the early-mid 2010s. I predicted Humboldt state not making it in 2011 after going 9-1. Picked Indianapolis not making it in 2014 if they didn't go undefeated in D2 games. They lost that one and out. I was the only person that predicted Midwestern State would overtake Ferris State in 2015. Almost everyone argued with me about the Ferris was a done deal since they were undefeated and I pointed out Midwestern scheduled that extra non conference and Ferris did not. Your fellow GNAC posters jumped my arse about having the nerve to say Humboldt wouldnt make it either. They all had in common not having 11 D2 football games to potentially help out their SOS.

LionFan unsolicited used my Midwestern State prediction on the Commerce football broadcast that Saturday night. I never forgot that and made sure I took it serious without mistakes..

Again criteria might be different than back then and the 7th playoff spot cuts down on the 10 game playoff misses.

Thats my last rant on it. As everyone else is doing I am recognizing inkblot as the expert and will continue to watch his awesome work.

Comment

My final thoughts on this topic: West Florida finished the 2019 regular season at 8-2 overall (7-2 vs. D2 schools as one win was against a non-NCAA opponent, Virginia-Lynchburg), yet still made the playoffs and won a national title. Granted, the GSC is, in some circles, seen as one of the tougher D2 football conferences, but still, I'm not disagreeing with your point, which is a fair point. I think situations like those depend on the league and the quality of a team's opposition.

Cal-PA finished 9-1 last season, but missed the playoffs despite 8-3 Findlay and 9-2 Slippery Rock - who boasted a dominating head-to-head win over Cal - because Cal's strength of schedule was putrid, to put it charitably (the game that was cancelled due to COVID was against winless Clarion). My only issue was that 10 (or even 9) games vs. 11 games depends on the circumstances of the other teams in a region or a league and that one size fits all doesn't apply.
                              Cal U (Pa.) Class of 2014

Comment

Originally posted by ctrabs74 View Post

My final thoughts on this topic: West Florida finished the 2019 regular season at 8-2 overall (7-2 vs. D2 schools as one win was against a non-NCAA opponent, Virginia-Lynchburg), yet still made the playoffs and won a national title. Granted, the GSC is, in some circles, seen as one of the tougher D2 football conferences, but still, I'm not disagreeing with your point, which is a fair point. I think situations like those depend on the league and the quality of a team's opposition.

Cal-PA finished 9-1 last season, but missed the playoffs despite 8-3 Findlay and 9-2 Slippery Rock - who boasted a dominating head-to-head win over Cal - because Cal's strength of schedule was putrid, to put it charitably (the game that was cancelled due to COVID was against winless Clarion). My only issue was that 10 (or even 9) games vs. 11 games depends on the circumstances of the other teams in a region or a league and that one size fits all doesn't apply.
                                I can definitely agree with this.

It definitely has applied out west more times than not because of that GNAC round robin circle jerk. They really couldnt afford to lose conference games to be considered.

NSIC always has that built in security blanket not having to schedule non conference games.

I am glad Central Washington solved that problem coming over to the LSC. That SOS is going to spike no longer having to do round robins and that Ferris State get was huge.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X