Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by LionFan View Post

I'm talking about progressing the university, growing, public image, etc. I don't think 90% of the people around here that I could ask would even know what Trinity is. It's a 3,000 enrollment private school, and I literally just had to google it to see where it was located.

billion
    Last edited by Herb Street; 07-07-2022, 09:09 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Herb Street View Post
      billion
      Again.....we are having two completely different conversations. No one is asking how much endowment they have or their financial standing.

Comment

Originally posted by LionFan View Post

Again.....we are having two completely different conversations. No one is asking how much endowment they have or their financial standing.
        Who hasn't heard of Trinity??? They are like 150 years old and a TOP University! People kill to get into that University. Especially people majoring in sciences & engineering. I think there acceptance rate is only like 30%, or was a few years back when my daughter applied.

I am very, very surprised you had to look them up.

The only people I know that haven't heard of Trinity are ones who are into the overloaded state schools, party schools, and are not "up to date" on academics. (Nicest way I could put it).

I think their football coach used to be a Dallas Cowboy!!

Not to mention their ridiculous endowment.

Comment

I hadn't thought about Trinity for a long time. I had a prof who went to school there, and we were trying to talk her into dropping our lowest test grade. She wouldn't go for that, telling us at Trinity your lowest test score grade WAS your grade. So if you had 5 As and a C, you got a C for the course.

They are famous for this football play.

Comment

Originally posted by WT_TKW View Post
            I hadn't thought about Trinity for a long time. I had a prof who went to school there, and we were trying to talk her into dropping our lowest test grade. She wouldn't go for that, telling us at Trinity your lowest test score grade WAS your grade. So if you had 5 As and a C, you got a C for the course.

Oh yeah....it's a world record.

Comment

Hopefully people judged her by her worsts day, too. Yikes.

Comment

That sounds like a bad professor! I remember a quarter of Calculus where I started with a C, then ended up with an A as I had trouble with what was covered in the first part of the class. The 2nd part I had covered in my physics classes which brought my grade up to an A after the final. Weighting a final differently, that is something I can understand although it was weighted the same in that class with weekly tests.

My mom though mentioned a professor at UW when she went there in a class with over 1000 students where only 1 A was given. You could get 99.9%, but if someone else got 100% you'd get a B and if someone else got 99.8% they'd get a C..

Comment

Originally posted by Wildcat Khan View Post

That sounds like a bad professor! I remember a quarter of Calculus where I started with a C, then ended up with an A as I had trouble with what was covered in the first part of the class. The 2nd part I had covered in my physics classes which brought my grade up to an A after the final. Weighting a final differently, that is something I can understand although it was weighted the same in that class with weekly tests.

My mom though mentioned a professor at UW when she went there in a class with over 1000 students where only 1 A was given. You could get 99.9%, but if someone else got 100% you'd get a B and if someone else got 99.8% they'd get a C..
                  My teacher DID average the grades, which she thought was more than fair, considering the rules she had at Trinity.

The class at UW sounds awful. Did someone with a 90 average get an F? It seems most schools have nuts on the faculty. My calculus teacher at WT wouldn't let us take notes, he wanted us to learn it as he wrote it on the board. He also threw erasers and chalk at the students, but never at me.

Comment

My teacher DID average the grades, which she thought was more than fair, considering the rules she had at Trinity.

The class at UW sounds awful. Did someone with a 90 average get an F? It seems most schools have nuts on the faculty. My calculus teacher at WT wouldn't let us take notes, he wanted us to learn it as he wrote it on the board. He also threw erasers and chalk at the students, but never at me.
                    My favorite professor at CWU used a 10 year curve, partly because the classes were small. He taught my E&M and lab course which had 3 and 4 students respectively.

From what my mom said, he only gave 1 or 2 F's too. She somehow got the A by something like .001% and told me about how she preferred that 10 year curve even if the curve made 80% a C or D.

No notes, ouch! Glad I never had a professor like that as people learn differently, be it visual, the lecture, the book, or taking notes. I learned so much by taking notes in my classes, well the hard ones that is. My worst was a Differential Equations professor that would go on tangents, always putting 1 or 2 on the test even if they had nothing to do what was to be covered in the course. Once I learned that I would always try to follow the tangents, but as there was one almost every day it was hard to guess which one to study up on. It didn't help that he was also a monotone.

Comment

Originally posted by Wildcat Khan View Post

My favorite professor at CWU used a 10 year curve, partly because the classes were small. He taught my E&M and lab course which had 3 and 4 students respectively.

From what my mom said, he only gave 1 or 2 F's too. She somehow got the A by something like .001% and told me about how she preferred that 10 year curve even if the curve made 80% a C or D.

No notes, ouch! Glad I never had a professor like that as people learn differently, be it visual, the lecture, the book, or taking notes. I learned so much by taking notes in my classes, well the hard ones that is. My worst was a Differential Equations professor that would go on tangents, always putting 1 or 2 on the test even if they had nothing to do what was to be covered in the course. Once I learned that I would always try to follow the tangents, but as there was one almost every day it was hard to guess which one to study up on. It didn't help that he was also a monotone.
                      I had a computer science prof in graduate school (not at WT) who was a decent speaker, but did not understand questions in English. Eventually he would simply repeat "it's clear, it's clear" which meant he was done trying to answer. The week before the final he told us what would and would not be on the test, but he got them mixed up. It was a night class, so though he told us the test would take us an hour or less, no one had left after 3 hours. He finally insisted that we turn in our tests. By the time I got up to his podium, there were 2 guys on each side of him yelling at him. I took my test and threw it at him. I ended up with a B, and made sure never to take him again.

Comment

Comment

I had a computer science prof in graduate school (not at WT) who was a decent speaker, but did not understand questions in English. Eventually he would simply repeat "it's clear, it's clear" which meant he was done trying to answer. The week before the final he told us what would and would not be on the test, but he got them mixed up. It was a night class, so though he told us the test would take us an hour or less, no one had left after 3 hours. He finally insisted that we turn in our tests. By the time I got up to his podium, there were 2 guys on each side of him yelling at him. I took my test and threw it at him. I ended up with a B, and made sure never to take him again.
                          LOL, there are some real nut jobs posing as college professors especially in the Political Science Department. I have too many of these lunacy stories to elaborate on. I wish we would have had these online reviews of Professors kids have now days. I love reading these reviews. You can't buy this comedy.

Comment

Originally posted by Techster88 View Post

LOL, there are some real nut jobs posing as college professors especially in the Political Science Department. I have too many of these lunacy stories to elaborate on. I wish we would have had these online reviews of Professors kids have now days. I love reading these reviews. You can't buy this comedy.
                            And High School teachers too, I once had an English teacher on an "in your opinion" question dock 10 points for "thinking to literally" as I used historical numbers to back up an opinion different than hers. Even other teachers called her the "Wicked Witch of the West Wing".

Comment

Comment

There is truth to this. Especially in graduate school did I have to put up with a bunch of jerks.

However, while at WT I had many great professors. For every dud, I had 6-7 very good ones. The class sizes at WT, usually under 35 after the freshman year, made a big difference. I will admit the math department had a lower percentage of good teachers, but I did have 2 excellent ones. Neither had a PhD, but they knew how to teach. One of them is still there, and has been since 1967.One of my young friends had him a few years ago, and she really liked him. The other one advised us to "make it easy on yourself" to solve problems, so unless we were specifically told what method to use, pick the easiest way. What a concept! It sounds obvious, but it changed my way of approaching math.

During the pandemic, I got bored so I decided to learn or relearn some more chemistry. I thought I might like organic chemistry more than I did when I was 19, but no, I still hate it. However the same youtube guy also does videos on calculus and physics, so I watched some. He's a really good teacher; you can read in the comments how grateful students are for his videos. I don't ever remember this method of integration by parts but it is SO much easier (when it is applicable).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yyic5aaXGaw

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X