Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by LSC Fan View Post

And the number of D2 programs in Texas (down to five from nine just ten years ago) The recent additions to the FCS ranks from the LSC and then the schools that have gone from FCS ranks to the FBS is making in state recruiting harder for D2 schools . Midwestern is going to have a harder time competing for recruits in the DFW area thanks to Tarleton, ACU and Commerce making moves along with the existing FBS schools. TAMUKs job is going to get harder as UTSA continues to elevate itself and UIW makes strides. Now they will have UTRGV to south as an FCS school to make it more competitive to recruit. D2 football will be a thing of the past here in Texas within 10 years.
    ACU doesn't recruit North Texas very well. Most players that played HS ball in DFW transferred to Abilene after they warm benches at other universities or are JUCO players.

Now SFA recruits the area well. The are becoming a favorite in tbe area.

"TAMU-Stephenville" had a decent DFW draft class this year, but normally, they don't recruit the area very well.

Angelo does pretty well, they have around 20 DFW players.

WT does well too...they have around 25 North Texas players.....but, some are leaving.

Point is the teams you mentioned are really no more threat than they were before. FCS splits up scholarships as well, they just have 27 more to split up. That really helps, OF they are full funded. Per SFA "SFA scholarships are limited by available funding"

Abilene moved to D1 to help drastically increase enroll.. 2012 undergrads 3,397; 2021 undergrad 3,138. Hmmmmm.

https://www.whatwilltheylearn.com/schools/3771

Comment

• Originally posted by ASUPops View Post

ACU doesn't recruit North Texas very well. Most players that played HS ball in DFW transferred to Abilene after they warm benches at other universities or are JUCO players.

Now SFA recruits the area well. The are becoming a favorite in tbe area.

"TAMU-Stephenville" had a decent DFW draft class this year, but normally, they don't recruit the area very well.

Angelo does pretty well, they have around 20 DFW players.

WT does well too...they have around 25 North Texas players.....but, some are leaving.

Point is the teams you mentioned are really no more threat than they were before. FCS splits up scholarships as well, they just have 27 more to split up. That really helps, OF they are full funded. Per SFA "SFA scholarships are limited by available funding"

Abilene moved to D1 to help drastically increase enroll.. 2012 undergrads 3,397; 2021 undergrad 3,138. Hmmmmm.

https://www.whatwilltheylearn.com/schools/3771
      Congrats to csm. Great team with a great tx qb. Asu had the best set up to get to McKinney and mines executed and to advantage of offerings just flat out given to them.

One win better than last yr same finish place to same team. Sometime u have to wait your turn and hopefully get another shot next yr. Starting in Sept. now my venting. I said special teams was the weak link and would get them and it did. Field goals and punter return has been a major issue all yr. He’s the db of the yr and return man of the yr. But did this all yr unfortunately. Fumbled the return but got it back in the regular season game that almost ended the game for asu. Who ever call it was gotta say let it go or put someone else in. U got a hell of a defense but against csm qb u can’t serve gift wrap points to him? Maybe against wt, Beminji, Mankato and kingsville of the world u survive. But not Mines. 21 points off turnovers to the best offense country…

4 of 6 Csm score drives

Asu - 14 ( asu fumble )

ASu - 8 ( asu fumble )

Asu - 38 ( asu fumble)

Asu - 39
      >>>>>>>>>>€>>>>
      3rd down like last yr. Couldn’t get off the field

3rd and 21 ( “the run”)

3rd and 18

3rd and 15

Other 3 other tds on guess what 3rd down.

Great qbs convert on 3rd downs. But asu gave this away to easy. Bronkhurst played his ass off. And I think the gave up on the run too much.

Hopefully can find a qb and hopefully they all stick together. 8 return on offense and Defense and grear healthy. They Can have another great shot at it. If you can say a handful of teams that can compete with u then u have an elite program.

Comment

• Originally posted by ASUfam&fan View Post

Congrats to csm. Great team with a great tx qb. Asu had the best set up to get to McKinney and mines executed and to advantage of offerings just flat out given to them.

One win better than last yr same finish place to same team. Sometime u have to wait your turn and hopefully get another shot next yr. Starting in Sept. now my venting. I said special teams was the weak link and would get them and it did. Field goals and punter return has been a major issue all yr. He’s the db of the yr and return man of the yr. But did this all yr unfortunately. Fumbled the return but got it back in the regular season game that almost ended the game for asu. Who ever call it was gotta say let it go or put someone else in. U got a hell of a defense but against csm qb u can’t serve gift wrap points to him? Maybe against wt, Beminji, Mankato and kingsville of the world u survive. But not Mines. 21 points off turnovers to the best offense country…

4 of 6 Csm score drives

Asu - 14 ( asu fumble )

ASu - 8 ( asu fumble )

Asu - 38 ( asu fumble)

Asu - 39
        >>>>>>>>>>€>>>>
        3rd down like last yr. Couldn’t get off the field

3rd and 21 ( “the run”)

3rd and 18

3rd and 15

Other 3 other tds on guess what 3rd down.

Great qbs convert on 3rd downs. But asu gave this away to easy. Bronkhurst played his ass off. And I think the gave up on the run too much.

Hopefully can find a qb and hopefully they all stick together. 8 return on offense and Defense and grear healthy. They Can have another great shot at it. If you can say a handful of teams that can compete with u then u have an elite program.
        QB will be the big issue next year. Garvin has similar skills to Zack. His two starts last year went OK. There are 2 redshirt Fr that look good coming out of HS but chances are that Garvin will be the man next year.

Comment

• Originally posted by AngeloFan View Post

QB will be the big issue next year. Garvin has similar skills to Zack. His two starts last year went OK. There are 2 redshirt Fr that look good coming out of HS but chances are that Garvin will be the man next year.
          I agree on the qb issue. 3 yr starter and 6 yr kid gone now. Garvin as i remembered was more of a game manager I think that’s top priority. Hope they can bring someone that ran the same style offense. Playing mines 2nd game next yr with matocha back. They gonna have to be damn near perfect.they will know by spring if garvin is the answer. With grear hopefully back this offense is ready now. Big receiver and te also on the wish list.the whole line is back too Hopefully they are already here. Next yr team has chance to go further. Still hurts this was the perfect setup. Fresh off/ season talks signals your season just ended in a bad way…..oh well. Thanks csm

Comment

I agree on the qb issue. 3 yr starter and 6 yr kid gone now. Garvin as i remembered was more of a game manager I think that’s top priority. Hope they can bring someone that ran the same style offense. Playing mines 2nd game next yr with matocha back. They gonna have to be damn near perfect.they will know by spring if garvin is the answer. With grear hopefully back this offense is ready now. Big receiver and te also on the wish list.the whole line is back too Hopefully they are already here. Next yr team has chance to go further. Still hurts this was the perfect setup. Fresh off/ season talks signals your season just ended in a bad way…..oh well. Thanks csm
            There are two freshmen QB’s that redshirted this year. I know the coaches are pretty impressed by at least one of them, but they may still be a year or two down the road.

As you said, losing both of the TE’s with major playing time this year will hurt as well and Massey will be hard to replace too. The OLine will not be totally back, the Center, Jason McConahey is not returning as he finishes his graduate degree in Spring. Having Greer back will be huge.

On the D side, big losses will be Micah Flowers at LB, DeShaun Douglass at CB, and Wes Bauer at DL.

Most of the pieces will still be there. Of course this assumes that no one is lost to the portal.

Comment

• Originally posted by texcap View Post

There are two freshmen QB’s that redshirted this year. I know the coaches are pretty impressed by at least one of them, but they may still be a year or two down the road.

As you said, losing both of the TE’s with major playing time this year will hurt as well and Massey will be hard to replace too. The OLine will not be totally back, the Center, Jason McConahey is not returning as he finishes his graduate degree in Spring. Having Greer back will be huge.

On the D side, big losses will be Micah Flowers at LB, DeShaun Douglass at CB, and Wes Bauer at DL.

Most of the pieces will still be there. Of course this assumes that no one is lost to the portal.
              Oh Wow. Congrats on the Center Getting his masters. I think he played really well this yr. I heard he had been there for awhile but injuries had kept him sidelined. Never know he could take advantage of another yr. but I never knock a kid who completes his education goals and moves on. those are one of the top players on each level of defense But they have capable players on each level and the dline will still have a lot of depth and experience. I hope they can keep the running backs with greer coming back and everyone can be happy with the carries. They should be top #5 preseason next yr. and should be more talented then at least 10 of the 11 teams they play. 2 new coaches coming in at wt and utpb in which were one of there toughest conference games. Asu should be ahead of everyone else still. They have gotten better every yr for the last 5 yrs and i still see that happening. But beware of kids being lured away by bigger schools. I see a lot of d2 kids that are getting offers from d1 schools. Its like d2 is the new juco. I know a few kids it worked out for and lot who never found another school.

Comment

Oh Wow. Congrats on the Center Getting his masters. I think he played really well this yr. I heard he had been there for awhile but injuries had kept him sidelined. Never know he could take advantage of another yr. but I never knock a kid who completes his education goals and moves on. those are one of the top players on each level of defense But they have capable players on each level and the dline will still have a lot of depth and experience. I hope they can keep the running backs with greer coming back and everyone can be happy with the carries. They should be top #5 preseason next yr. and should be more talented then at least 10 of the 11 teams they play. 2 new coaches coming in at wt and utpb in which were one of there toughest conference games. Asu should be ahead of everyone else still. They have gotten better every yr for the last 5 yrs and i still see that happening. But beware of kids being lured away by bigger schools. I see a lot of d2 kids that are getting offers from d1 schools. Its like d2 is the new juco. I know a few kids it worked out for and lot who never found another school.
                Like I said in my post, an you allude to, the “portal” is the big unknown in all of this. However, I wonder if the way ASU was so close this year but lost that game might work to keep some of them on the team to try to rectify what happened this year by making a deeper run next year.

It all depends on what motivates the player. If they are good enough to have a potential shot at he next level (Keke Chism and Willis Patrick from the past few years) then a move to a D1 might be beneficial. If they just want to play D1 ball, then maybe the prospect of a potential national championship at D2 might be more attractive then going to an also-ran FCS program.

Comment

• Originally posted by Buffalo/Islander Alum View Post

They were but they were outgunned athletically in the regionals until the mid 2010s.

That playoff game WT won against them in Pueblo in the quarterfinals in 2012 was never in doubt and you could see the difference in talent.
                  I was there. WT was superior team.

Comment

• Originally posted by Brandon View Post

I was there. WT was superior team.
                    Yes, it was not even close. It took another couple of years for Pueblo to build on their success and start recruiting bigger, faster, stronger kids while also letting young kids like Darius Allen and Morgan Fox have time in the weight room to develop. Their starting center was only 5'8 225lbs that year.

Comment

• Originally posted by Turbonium View Post

Yes, it was not even close. It took another couple of years for Pueblo to build on their success and start recruiting bigger, faster, stronger kids while also letting young kids like Darius Allen and Morgan Fox have time in the weight room to develop. Their starting center was only 5'8 225lbs that year.
                      Yes. It was shocking how small that dude was.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X