Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ASUPops View Post

Other than UIW, who moved up and is successful? I don't see any other former LSC team in the FCS playoffs.
    UIW took North Dakota State to the wire the other night... Got screwed by a Ref crew who was obviously influenced by the NDSU crowd, and they should've had the ball on a turnover in their NDSU red zone and a chance to win it.

Comment

Originally posted by LSC Fan View Post

UIW took North Dakota State to the wire the other night... Got screwed by a Ref crew who was obviously influenced by the NDSU crowd, and they should've had the ball on a turnover in their NDSU red zone and a chance to win it.
      Before that the 4th down pass hit the WR in the hands and he dropped it which would have set them up inside the 15 yard line.

At least it didn't get ran back for a pick 6 to end the game.

Comment

I agree.

UIW has come a very long way.

I remember getting ridiculed on this board when I said UIW was going to be a powerhouse. I got laughed out of the water. Gayle Benson is a relative of my fiancée and she was h3ll bent on UIW having a successful football program. Tom, of course, joined in her desire and they succeeded. Too bad he isn't around to see it come to fruition. But Gayle still supports UIW. Lots of $ behind them.

Comment

Originally posted by Buffalo/Islander Alum View Post

10 years ago peeps would have laughed at the idea of population increasing in west Texas (Amarillo and Lubbock) and here we are. West Texas is far less desirable than East Texas.
          The problem in East Texas is that it was based on manufacturing and we all know this country no longer does that. From Steel, poultry, Paper Mills to name a few manufacturing has been in a decline for years.

Comment

I agree.

UIW has come a very long way.

I remember getting ridiculed on this board when I said UIW was going to be a powerhouse. I got laughed out of the water. Gayle Benson is a relative of my fiancée and she was h3ll bent on UIW having a successful football program. Tom, of course, joined in her desire and they succeeded. Too bad he isn't around to see it come to fruition. But Gayle still supports UIW. Lots of $ behind them.
            The roll of the dice worked. It will be interesting to see how it evolves under a new HC.

Comment

Well, in general the world's population is growing at an unbelievable pace, so SURE you might fet a few more people in rural areas. But a SURGE of growth like Austin, DFW, Houston, San Antonio?? NEVER. NEVER.
              Perhaps Islander in the Buff was stating it will stabilize with a some uptick. It's interesting though when you mention Austin and San Antonio, towns like Lockhart, Seguin, and Bastrop who used to be out in the sticks from those metro areas are now the next boom areas thanks to your California buddies (LMAO) moving in and driving up property values and sending the former locals out to these soon to be out in the sticks towns.

Comment

Perhaps Islander in the Buff was stating it will stabilize with a some uptick. It's interesting though when you mention Austin and San Antonio, towns like Lockhart, Seguin, and Bastrop who used to be out in the sticks from those metro areas are now the next boom areas thanks to your California buddies (LMAO) moving in and driving up property values and sending the former locals out to these soon to be out in the sticks towns.
                Yep I lived in Lockhart from 2017-2020.

I am LMAO because I warned on the Lockhart Facebook page back in 2017 when I got there that others would be coming down in droves like Dances with Wolves and they would have to start building new schools.

They were telling me how stupid I was and were trying to laugh me off the page.

Fast Forward to almost 2023 and they just put up a bond for election and surprise surprise they want more funding to build new schools and possibly split their high school in two so they arent forced into 6A and being Austin and San Antonio's B**** in athletic conferences.

Bastrop will soon join that party.

Buda and Kyle had too just recently and the town I am now did that 3 years ago to split into two 5A high schools to avoid 6A Houston beatdowns.

Yes you are exactly right. Both coast's retirees don't give a rats arse about whats going on past and present in East Texas.

They will see they can buy a decent home for 200k instead of 900k and fill up that area pretty soon just like they are in West Texas.

Comment

Yep I lived in Lockhart from 2017-2020.

I am LMAO because I warned on the Lockhart Facebook page back in 2017 when I got there that others would be coming down in droves like Dances with Wolves and they would have to start building new schools.

They were telling me how stupid I was and were trying to laugh me off the page.

Fast Forward to almost 2023 and they just put up a bond for election and surprise surprise they want more funding to build new schools and possibly split their high school in two so they arent forced into 6A and being Austin and San Antonio's B**** in athletic conferences.

Bastrop will soon join that party.

Buda and Kyle had too just recently and the town I am now did that 3 years ago to split into two 5A high schools to avoid 6A Houston beatdowns.

Yes you are exactly right. Both coast's retirees don't give a rats arse about whats going on past and present in East Texas.

They will see they can buy a decent home for 200k instead of 900k and fill up that area pretty soon just like they are in West Texas.
                  Yep. But many of these west and east coast types and especially in the Austin area were in bidding wars and drove prices waaayyy over what they would've been during "normal" times. Anyone involved on both the buying and selling of real estate from the agents/brokers to the title companies were making some serious bank up there and really anywhere in this state. But Austin and Round Rock was over the top. They were buying 700, 800, 900k home cash without inspections because the home they sold in California gave them cash and then some to buy it quickly. Some of the younger types in the real estate industry reminded me of the oil field guys a few years back who were literally graduating from high school today and working for $30 or more an hour in the oil field and when they started getting those checks for 80 + hour weeks, they'd go out and buy King Ranch F-250's. But when the bust came, if you were in the market for a used one, you'd could get it on the cheap!

Comment

My former neighbor and his wife were retired teachers from California. He made it clear that the only reason they moved here was the taxes were 1/2 what they paid in California. He then spent the next 20 years constantly beitching because Texas did not offer all of the services and handouts like they had in California. He never did buy into the idea that there was a direct correlation between high taxes and government services.

I am afraid that the I35 corridor is becoming home to thousands just like him.

Comment

Originally posted by AngeloFan View Post

My former neighbor and his wife were retired teachers from California. He made it clear that the only reason they moved here was the taxes were 1/2 what they paid in California. He then spent the next 20 years constantly beitching because Texas did not offer all of the services and handouts like they had in California. He never did buy into the idea that there was a direct correlation between high taxes and government services.

I am afraid that the I35 corridor is becoming home to thousands just like him.
                      It will be millions soon.

Tons of government workers are playing the locality game where they move to New York, Washington DC, or San Francisco and work there for 10+ years earning 35-40% over the basic government wage with locality figured in.

When you retire you get paid the top 3 salaries you had in government plus locality no matter where you decide to retire.

The only reason I am in the Houston area is because the locality is 34% above base pay.

So these guys are retiring and coming to Texas, South Dakota, Florida, and Tennessee because of no state taxes and cheaper housing.

Like LSC fan said they are selling their homes for close to a million dollars and buying them up here for a fraction.

Problem is Texas will turn into California/New York type of living soon.

Austin is already there.

If my parents have unfortunately passed away by the time I retire I will most likely choose Tennessee or South Dakota to retire instead of Texas.

Comment

It will be millions soon.

Tons of government workers are playing the locality game where they move to New York, Washington DC, or San Francisco and work there for 10+ years earning 35-40% over the basic government wage with locality figured in.

When you retire you get paid the top 3 salaries you had in government plus locality no matter where you decide to retire.

The only reason I am in the Houston area is because the locality is 34% above base pay.

So these guys are retiring and coming to Texas, South Dakota, Florida, and Tennessee because of no state taxes and cheaper housing.

Like LSC fan said they are selling their homes for close to a million dollars and buying them up here for a fraction.

Problem is Texas will turn into California/New York type of living soon.

Austin is already there.

If my parents have unfortunately passed away by the time I retire I will most likely choose Tennessee or South Dakota to retire instead of Texas.
                        Enjoy that!

IF I ever retire, which is doubtful unless it's forced upon me, I will head to either or Alys Beach, Florida or Amalfi, Italy (lots of family in Italy).

Comment

Enjoy that!

IF I ever retire, which is doubtful unless it's forced upon me, I will head to either or Alys Beach, Florida or Amalfi, Italy (lots of family in Italy).
                          A lot of it depends on the state of the world in 10 years as well.

Florida I don't want to have to keep an eye on the ocean half the year for hurricanes.

Overseas I am always partial to New Zealand since they are way out of the way on the other side of the world.

New Zealand is a beautiful country and neutral in the political world.

First things first need to get there happy healthy and set.

Cheers that you are able to as well.

Comment

Enjoy that!

You can go hang out with Nancy Pelosi.... LOL!

Comment

A lot of it depends on the state of the world in 10 years as well.

Florida I don't want to have to keep an eye on the ocean half the year for hurricanes.

Overseas I am always partial to New Zealand since they are way out of the way on the other side of the world.

New Zealand is a beautiful country and neutral in the political world.

First things first need to get there happy healthy and set.

Cheers that you are able to as well.
                              Not me. I'm staying in Texas. In fact we are going to move and build where we will eventually retire somewhere up in Canyon Lake area. My Youngest graduates in 2024, so I hope we are up there sometime in 2025. I still have many of years of work in me, but there is noting like living Hill Country if you are going to stay in Texas. If I had to chose an overseas destination, it would definatley be Greece and the area my Grandfather was born and raised. The terrain reminds me of the Texas Hill Country along with the climate. Maybe we could find a place there to spend extended periods of time as an investment property. There is no way in the world I would move to a place I had to shovel snow. South Dakota? Pfft....
                              Last edited by LSC Fan; 12-23-2022, 12:08 PM.

Comment

Not me. I'm staying in Texas. In fact we are going to move and build where we will eventually retire somewhere up in Canyon Lake area. My Youngest graduates in 2024, so I hope we are up there sometime in 2025. I still have many of years of work in me, but there is noting like living Hill Country if you are going to stay in Texas. If I had to chose an overseas destination, it would definatley be Greece and the area my Grandfather was born and raised. The terrain reminds me of the Texas Hill Country along with the climate. Maybe we could find a place there to spend extended periods of time as an investment property. There is no way in the world I would move to a place I had to shovel snow. South Dakota? Pfft....
                                I love the hill country but this time of year until March I would be inside the house with my eyes swollen shut due to the cedar trees and the summers are wearing me out. October - December are the only tolerable months anymore

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X