Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Predatory Primates View Post

I'm not knocking the guy.. Davis is a great and super effective QB. I am saying that he would be below average in any passing contest. If you can put him I. A position where he has to pass, you have done well.. He's an amazing option QB. The kind an option team hopes to get once every 20 years or so.

2022 had him throwing to some pretty average targets. When he has a true deep threat and a good receiving TE, the passing game can be scary.

He throws it well enough to burn you as long as he's running that option O and gigging your D so hard that there's nobody in coverage. That doesn't make him a good, or even average passer. He is the type of runner in that O that you almost have to sell out to stop.

I was assuming Lynn wouldn't be running that O at WT since he made it sound that way in the presser, but he would have to if he wanted to use Davis.
    ​​​​​
    Without Davis, UNK was a decent team. With him, they were a contender and one of the highest scoring Offenses each year in a conf. with some pretty good defenses in it. He is that good. (There's a reason some of us called UNK the TJ Davises or the U of TJD the last couple of years.)
    He's a beast in a new world of QBs. With the rise of option and RPO, that mobile QB is what's getting the attention.

Personally....I LOVE great pocket passers with smash mouth RB's behind them.

I am watching great pocket passers getting passed over (pun intended) by option qbs with average passing abilities.

Comment

Originally posted by BuffaloChip View Post

What if he was used as a RB or WR? Watching his running, and at 6'3 180, he might have a better shot as a pro converting to WR. If WT comes up with a good pro-style QB,..........Davis as a WR?

What do ya' think?
      At this point if he is able to get WT back to the playoff promise land and back on recruits radar then I wouldn't care if they put three running backs in the backfield with zero wide receivers if it means at least second place 9-2 record with playoffs.

Long term I would like to see balance but this might be the way to go short term.

Comment

Update 1-19

To date (unofficial/unconfirmed)

Javelinas have added
        WR - Nate Dantley - Lake Erie Transfer (40 games played, 200 Receptions, 2,728 yds, 12 TDs)
        WR - Eli Martinez - Navarro JC
        WR - Jacory Logan - Independence CC
        WR - Anthony Isom - Kilgore JC
        OL - Daniel Melendez - Sam Houston Transfer
        OL - Ryan Lira - Northwestern State Transfer
        LB - Malik Williams - Tyler JC

OL - Girevis Bobey Munoz - Midland Lee HS - had UTPB offer
        DL - Matt Quick - San Antonio Reagan HS - had Angelo and UTPB offers
        DB - Ky Guillory - Fort Bend Marshall HS
        Who was the first person to look at a cow and say, "I think I'll squeeze these dangly things here, and drink whatever comes out?"

Comment

Originally posted by Buffalo/Islander Alum View Post

At this point if he is able to get WT back to the playoff promise land and back on recruits radar then I wouldn't care if they put three running backs in the backfield with zero wide receivers if it means at least second place 9-2 record with playoffs.

Long term I would like to see balance but this might be the way to go short term.
          I guess the big question would be: Does WT have the quick, nasty kind of OL it takes to run that O?

Comment

Update 1-20

Javelinas have added
            WR - Nate Dantley - Lake Erie Transfer (40 games played, 200 Receptions, 2,728 yds, 12 TDs)

WR - Wyatt Elwood - Flour Bluff HS - had TAMC offer
            WR - Kevin Holmes Jr - Bryan Rudder HS - had UTPB, UMHB and Hardin Simmons offers
            DL - Josiah Lewis - CC Veterans Memorial HS

Who was the first person to look at a cow and say, "I think I'll squeeze these dangly things here, and drink whatever comes out?"

Comment

Originally posted by ASUPops View Post

Think this says it all:

"Harlon Hill Trophy Runner Up ... MIAA Offensive Player of the Year ... D2CCA Super Region 3 Offensive POY ... AFCA, D2CCA and Don Hansen Football Gazette second-team All-American ... D2CCA first-team All-Region ... first-team All-MIAA ... co-captain ... seven-time UNK Offensive Player of the Week ... one of two QB's in the NCAA to throw for 2k yards (2,320) and rush for 1k yards (1,151) ... completed 61% of his passes while running for 89 yards per game ... 4.5 yards per carry ... 21 passing and 18 rushing TD's ... second career 1k rushing season ... five 100-yard rushing days ... 258 yards, three TD's and 30 carries vs. Washburn ... 179 yards, one TD and 30 carries at Central Oklahoma ... 100 yards, 22 carries and two TD's in NCAA playoff win at Western Colorado ... rushing TD in 10 of 13 games ... three games with at least 200 yards passing ... 12 of 19 for 307 yards and three TD's at Emporia ... 13 of 20 for 225 yards and two TD's at Central Missouri ... 12 of 15 for 202 yards and two TD's at Fort Hays ... nine games with at least two TD tosses including eight games in a row ... long completion of 65 yards and long run of 62 yards...."
              Sounds like he should be starting for a power 5 team.

Comment

Originally posted by SPWOU View Post
                Only if it's a p5 option team.

Comment

Originally posted by JavsFan View Post
                  Update 1-20

Javelinas have added

WR - Wyatt Elwood - Flour Bluff HS - had TAMC offer
                  WR - Kevin Holmes Jr - Bryan Rudder HS - had UTPB, UMHB and Hardin Simmons offers
                  DL - Josiah Lewis - CC Veterans Memorial HS
                  It's neat the way you all post that for public consumption. In the MIAA, it's all cloak and dagger because player poaching is a thing right up until signing day.

Pitt has their own MB, and the twitter stalkers post stuff there,, but nobody posts hs players here until it's official.

Comment

TJ Davis is still listed on the Kearney roster. I'm becoming skeptical of the rumor. If he were transferring, wouldn't Lynn want him at WT for spring ball. To participate this spring at WT, you have to be enrolled by 10 days from when classes started. That would be Thur 26th Jan.

Comment

Also, to be clear, you don't have to be a great passer to be a great QB.

I tried to explain this to people for years when Pitt would have great option QBs, but everyone would say they weren't really QBs or weren't good enough pure passers, or didn't throw it enough to be in the conversation for top QB.
                      I remember (this was before my time) talk of (and I watched several old films) of a QB named Sammy Baugh. He threw ducks that barely spiraled. He was a helluva QB in college and in the pros-Redskins I think. His passes were often UGLY but they found the receiver.

Yeah, I went and looked him up. 16 years with Redskins. NFL HOF 1963.

Comment

It's neat the way you all post that for public consumption. In the MIAA, it's all cloak and dagger because player poaching is a thing right up until signing day.

Pitt has their own MB, and the twitter stalkers post stuff there,, but nobody posts hs players here until it's official.

None of it is a secret. Fred announce the mid-year signings in the Javelina Highlights and the high school commitments are what I find on twitter.

Most, if not all, of the recruits are followed by multiple LSC coaches.

Comment

Originally posted by SPWOU View Post
                          Haha, right! And now, based on what Chip says, he will be at WTAMU. Looking forward to watching him play in the LSC.

Comment

Don't say "you all". Haha. It has been and still is all "cloak and dagger" when it comes to the programs, coaches, etc. I can't answer for alums or fans.

Comment

Originally posted by Buffalo/Islander Alum View Post

Agree 100%. Who CARES as long as you get the DUBYAS!

Comment

I guess the big question would be: Does WT have the quick, nasty kind of OL it takes to run that O?
                                Not to my knowledge.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X