Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by LSC Fan View Post

It’s different world for sure. In this state, building relationships with HS coaches still helps.
    It still helps everywhere, but now it's one small tool in a huge kit, and not the only way to get your foot in the door like it used to be.

Pretty much everyone recruits Texas these days, or at least tries to. I assume LSC coaches are using all the same methods that everyone else does.

Comment

Originally posted by Predatory Primates View Post

It still helps everywhere, but now it's one small tool in a huge kit, and not the only way to get your foot in the door like it used to be.

Pretty much everyone recruits Texas these days, or at least tries to. I assume LSC coaches are using all the same methods that everyone else does.
      Uh, in Texas it IS the way to get into the door. If a HS HC doesn't like the HC or recruiter from a college, he can and will ban you and your school from talking to his players. I personally watched this happen several times.

Yeah, the HS HC can make or break your recruiting his school. That's Texas HS football.

Comment

Originally posted by ASUPops View Post

Uh, in Texas it IS the way to get into the door. If a HS HC doesn't like the HC or recruiter from a college, he can and will ban you and your school from talking to his players. I personally watched this happen several times.

Yeah, the HS HC can make or break your recruiting his school. That's Texas HS football.

I am trying to say that if live networking with HS coaches is the only tool you're using, your recruiting will fall further and further behind.

Apparently I'm doing a terrible job of saying it, though.

I also say it's not the only way because potential recruits contact the teams they want to play for themselves, and hire recruiting services. Most players are out there advocating for and marketing themselves.

Comment

It seems like Texas high schools are recruited extremely heavily today by absolutely everyone. I wonder if California is recruited nearly as intensively?

If not, it seems to me that for a school like WT, which has decent airline connections to the west coast, it would make sense to spend some recruiting $ and time to till the Cali HS fields. I know that Carthel found quite a few Cali kids (mostly jucos) during his tenure.

Just wondering. Instead of being the 151st college coach to walk into the HC's office at Allen HS, maybe being only the 19th college recruiter to visit the HC and his kids at some talented Cali HS would find more gems than the picked-over Texas HS rosters. Maybe today, a really successful LSC program has to expand the search for talent. Or at least make that part of their recruiting playbook emphasis. Just wondering.

Comment

Originally posted by BuffaloChip View Post

It seems like Texas high schools are recruited extremely heavily today by absolutely everyone. I wonder if California is recruited nearly as intensively?

If not, it seems to me that for a school like WT, which has decent airline connections to the west coast, it would make sense to spend some recruiting $ and time to till the Cali HS fields. I know that Carthel found quite a few Cali kids (mostly jucos) during his tenure.

Just wondering. Instead of being the 151st college coach to walk into the HC's office at Allen HS, maybe being only the 19th college recruiter to visit the HC and his kids at some talented Cali HS would find more gems than the picked-over Texas HS rosters. Maybe today, a really successful LSC program has to expand the search for talent. Or at least make that part of their recruiting playbook. Just wondering.
            Might be off on this assessment…. Seems like most of the California high school players that head east from the state straight from high school. are from the Private schools or the handful of high schools who have a national reputation. We see these high school in the national polls for what they are worth or on ESPN when they show high school games of the week, etc. Those who don’t head east usually stay in state and play at a four year or JUCO or at least stay in what would be considered the original PAC 12 footprint (California, Arizona, Oregon, and Washington). That’s why we see a bunch of JUCOs from California on college rosters instead of them going directly from their respective high schools across the country.

Where on the other hand, it’s not too uncommon to find a Texas kid or more on the roster of someone you wouldn’t think a Texas kid would end up and from a high school that is not necessarily a football player factory like a Galena Park Northshore, DeSoto, etc. They come from the blue collar schools out in the middle of the sticks if you will. That’s why I think our JUCO system is not the factor it once was as those kids who once would’ve stayed in state to try to get on a roster of any school from the big boys to Sul Ross’s is a smaller player wirh those schools. I recall the day even TAMUKs roster used to be filled with Blinn, Trinity Vslley, and Kilgore transfers and now the Cali JUCOs outweighs the Texas JUCOs.

Comment

I am trying to say that if live networking with HS coaches is the only tool you're using, your recruiting will fall further and further behind.

I also say it's not the only way because potential recruits contact the teams they want to play for themselves, and hire recruiting services. Most players are out there advocating for and marketing themselves.
              It’s not the only tool…. But if a coach from XYZ University has built a good relationship with a coach from ABC high school and that coach has a player who can’t seem to find his fit or is being overlooked and is even using those new marketing methods, coach from ABC high school is going to get his phone call picked up by a coach from XYZ University on the first ring vs it going to voice mail or not returned at all. And that ABC high school doesn’t necessarily have to be a football player factory in this state. And they usually are not. It’s usually the school that will send kids to D2, D3, JUCO, maybe FCS and ans occasional FCS.

Comment

It’s not the only tool…. But if a coach from XYZ University has built a good relationship with a coach from ABC high school and that coach has a player who can’t seem to find his fit or is being overlooked and is even using those new marketing methods, coach from ABC high school is going to get his phone call picked up by a coach from XYZ University on the first ring vs it going to voice mail or not returned at all. And that ABC high school doesn’t necessarily have to be a football player factory in this state. And they usually are not. It’s usually the school that will send kids to D2, D3, JUCO, maybe FCS and ans occasional FCS.
                Yeah. It's definitely still important. It's just not the only tool like it was.

Comment

Just wondering. Instead of being the 151st college coach to walk into the HC's office at Allen HS, maybe being only the 19th college recruiter to visit the HC and his kids at some talented Cali HS would find more gems than the picked-over Texas HS rosters. Maybe today, a really successful LSC program has to expand the search for talent. Or at least make that part of their recruiting playbook emphasis. Just wondering.
                  I think the days of sticking with in state talent are over, even in TX. Kids are going everywhere these days. And the top d2 schools are recruiting nationwide. Jmo, though.

Comment

I now understand and agree with 1st paragraph.

If recruits are good, they don't need to do anything. It's the ones that are not being recruited that spend money on these foolish services and/or Daddy making highlights with music and effects (which college recruiters HATE). And if recruits are paying for a service to get a D2 offer, that's sad. They may want to look at other choices in life.

It's pretty simple. Universities put three ames on the board for every position they want to recruit. Of course they all want their #1 on the board for each. If all 3 are recruited away from them, then they look at #4, etc. D1's, especially, over offer, then pull offers if/when they get their higher ranked players.

It's ALL about who you know in the sports world.

Comment

Recruiting is a BEAR. Worst part of coaching, in my opinion. So many hours away from home, on the phone, and watching film.

Cali JUCO's were a major recruiting hotspot for the LSC. Cali HS not so much. Most HS players don't want to be that far from home on a D2. However, It might not be a bad idea to put more efforts into it.

Comment

I think the days of sticking with in state talent are over, even in TX. Kids are going everywhere these days. And the top d2 schools are recruiting nationwide. Jmo, though.
                        I agree. You have to cast a wide net today. Who knows when that talented but under recruited kid from Wisconsin or Nebraska gets a wild hair up his ass and contacts a school in Texas. Wants tp play somewhere warmer. Sends his vids. Texas coach likes what he sees. Calls kid's HS coach. HS coach can't believe kid is being overlooked. Next thing you know......kid is committed to Texas school.

Comment

I now understand and agree with 1st paragraph.

If recruits are good, they don't need to do anything. It's the ones that are not being recruited that spend money on these foolish services and/or Daddy making highlights with music and effects (which college recruiters HATE). And if recruits are paying for a service to get a D2 offer, that's sad. They may want to look at other choices in life.

It's pretty simple. Universities put three ames on the board for every position they want to recruit. Of course they all want their #1 on the board for each. If all 3 are recruited away from them, then they look at #4, etc. D1's, especially, over offer, then pull offers if/when they get their higher ranked players.

It's ALL about who you know in the sports world.
                          This is worse in the baseball world. Year around baseball and these select teams pushing parents to specialize for what is a pie in the sky. I’ve known some parents that over four to six year period of time which would date back to middle school who’ve dumped probably four years of tuition and room/board into these select leagues and tourneys and their kid never played the game again after their senior year in high school. A lot of that was burnout. Ironically I’ve seen a lot of Moms push their sons this way and not necessarily the dads. Lol

Comment

This is worse in the baseball world. Year around baseball and these select teams pushing parents to specialize for what is a pie in the sky. I’ve known some parents that over four to six year period of time which would date back to middle school who’ve dumped probably four years of tuition and room/board into these select leagues and tourneys and their kid never played the game again after their senior year in high school. A lot of that was burnout. Ironically I’ve seen a lot of Moms push their sons this way and not necessarily the dads. Lol
                            Yeah. Basketball is the same way. There was an article a year or two ago showing all these hardball and hoop parents who had paid out enough for tuition, sometimes twice over by the time their kid was out of high school. It's completely out of hand.

Comment

Yeah. Basketball is the same way. There was an article a year or two ago showing all these hardball and hoop parents who had paid out enough for tuition, sometimes twice over by the time their kid was out of high school. It's completely out of hand.
                              Baseball, Basketball, and Volleyball have all been corrupted by this club/select/travel leagues. It’s about killed the traditional league structure in many areas. Baseball has issues attracting inner city kids because of this. Not to forget the number of Tommy John injuries has multiplied several times over the past few years with younger kids having to get the surgery done. There was a segment on Real Sports not too long ago where a surgeon said he used to an average of 11 TJ surgeries a year and now he was doing that and then some a month. Wake up parents!

At least some college coaches and even Major League folks are speaking out against this and are strongly on aboard with the multi sport thing. There is a reason each Pro sport has a season and an off season. Nothing wrong like with baseball doing some batting practice and work on mechanics if you are Pitcher during the off season. Nor is there anything wrong with playing summer ball for a short schedule to shake some rust out of the system. But some of these parents that are pushing their kids to play 51 out of 52 weeks in a calendar year are ridiculous.

Comment

Baseball, Basketball, and Volleyball have all been corrupted by this club/select/travel leagues. It’s about killed the traditional league structure in many areas. Baseball has issues attracting inner city kids because of this. Not to forget the number of Tommy John injuries has multiplied several times over the past few years with younger kids having to get the surgery done. There was a segment on Real Sports not too long ago where a surgeon said he used to an average of 11 TJ surgeries a year and now he was doing that and then some a month. Wake up parents!

At least some college coaches and even Major League folks are speaking out against this and are strongly on aboard with the multi sport thing. There is a reason each Pro sport has a season and an off season. Nothing wrong like with baseball doing some batting practice and work on mechanics if you are Pitcher during the off season. Nor is there anything wrong with playing summer ball for a short schedule to shake some rust out of the system. But some of these parents that are pushing their kids to play 51 out of 52 weeks in a calendar year are ridiculous.
                                Yeah Volleyball in the Panhandle has been like this since the beginning.

A lot of the parents I knew when their kids were in school worked in healthcare and would work 12 hour shifts during the week so they can have the extra Friday-Monday for the travel days every weekend.

Girls miss a lot of school dances, football games, etc.

Its state or bust for several volleyball schools.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X