Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Predatory Primates View Post

Not a link, but I did see that they passed the deal where freshmen could play 4 or 5 games without losing their red shirt in D2 like they do in d1.

Not really related, but I'm excited about it.

Comment

DII football is turning into the "minor league" for DI football. So many players come to DII get coached up for a year or two, enter the portal and get DI offers.

Angelo's Jake Long is getting MASSIVE DI offers since he entered the portal on Jan 17th. CRAZY!! SMU just offered him too!

I fear that Angelo State is going to become known as the "portal" school because so many have come to Angelo got great coaching, had success, and have signed DIs.

Somethings gotta give!

Comment

Yep.

NAIA/D3/D2: Double AA
        FCS: Triple AAA
        Non Power 5: Free Agency for Power 5.

Sarcasm Alert:

We could set up D2 and FCS schools as FBS affiliates like they do in baseball.

Promote and demote during the season.

Angelo State the Double AA affiliate of Texas Tech.

Comment

Originally posted by ASUPops View Post
          DII football is turning into the "minor league" for DI football. So many players come to DII get coached up for a year or two, enter the portal and get DI offers.

Angelo's Jake Long is getting MASSIVE DI offers since he entered the portal on Jan 17th. CRAZY!! SMU just offered him too!

I fear that Angelo State is going to become known as the "portal" school because so many have come to Angelo got great coaching, had success, and have signed DIs.

Somethings gotta give!

Kind of like how JuCo is supposed to work

Comment

Somethings gotta give!
            It might seem like it's happening all the time, but it isn't. I understand why that might be the perspective when you lost Willis and now Long.

Comment

Somethings gotta give!

It's this way all the way of the pole. Boise State and Texas Tech are developing players for Ohio State etc.
              Last edited by Herb Street; 02-16-2023, 04:13 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Brandon View Post

It might seem like it's happening all the time, but it isn't. I understand why that might be the perspective when you lost Willis and now Long.
                I saw a headline that this could be a death knell for JUCO football.
                Who was the first person to look at a cow and say, "I think I'll squeeze these dangly things here, and drink whatever comes out?"

Comment

Originally posted by Buffalo/Islander Alum View Post
                  Yep.

NAIA/D3/D2: Double AA
                  FCS: Triple AAA
                  Non Power 5: Free Agency for Power 5.

Sarcasm Alert:

We could set up D2 and FCS schools as FBS affiliates like they do in baseball.

Promote and demote during the season.

Angelo State the Double AA affiliate of Texas Tech.
                  Not a good analogy, since most AA baseball players are quite sufficient to play in the Bigs; they are just waiting on the opportunity. Most D2 players would have no chance of taking the field on a P5 squad, even for kickoff coverage.

So the analogy would go something like this:

P5 = majors
                  G5 = AAA
                  Below G5 but still FBS = AA
                  FCS = High A
                  D2 = Low A/rookie league

There is only the occasional and freak-ish situation where a D2 player ends up in P5.
                  Last edited by Herb Street; 02-16-2023, 09:28 PM.

Comment

ASU had to rebuild its OL in 2022 because do many left vis portal.

I also hear the talk from JUCO players about Angelo being a stepping stone to a DI scholly.

Comment

Somethings gotta give!
                      How many would you guess have done that from Angelo? I'm sure it's hard on coaches to spend so much time recruiting a guy and watching them walk.

Comment

Somethings gotta give!
                        Daron Allman, also got an offer from SMU.

Comment

Originally posted by JavsFan View Post

I saw a headline that this could be a death knell for JUCO football.
                          Nah.

Comment

Originally posted by Turbonium View Post

How many would you guess have done that from Angelo? I'm sure it's hard on coaches to spend so much time recruiting a guy and watching them walk.
                            8-10? (*Edit....talking KEY/TOP players only) Between OL, DL & RBs. Now this year losing two OL and star RB is tough for Angelo.

It is hard on all coaches, but harder on DIIs. DIs are going to have a much easier time replacing the transfer player. It's actually helping JUCOs because coaches need players who can play NOW to replace transfers. It's actually hurting HS players.

This is where programs like Mines can shine. Their players are at Mines for the education & degree, whereas most other programs the players are there for football.

As long as this transfer crap keeps going, orograms like Mines will rule DII.
                            Last edited by ASUPops; 02-16-2023, 10:26 PM.

Comment

It's been happening since 2020. Not just Willis and Long. Several BEST players. It's becoming a revolving door for top talent.

I can't speak about other LSC schools, but the talk is everywhere about signing with Angelo can launch you to a FBS offer. Willis of course grabbed national attention going from Angelo to Jackson, then TCU. But from Keke to Omayebu, Angelo has been picked for sure.

I'm not trying to dunk on these kids, but Girsch has worked HARDER than most DIIs keeping his team competitive.

The portal rules HAVE to change!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Herb Street View Post

Not a good analogy, since most AA baseball players are quite sufficient to play in the Bigs; they are just waiting on the opportunity. Most D2 players would have no chance of taking the field on a P5 squad, even for kickoff coverage.

So the analogy would go something like this:

P5 = majors
                                G5 = AAA
                                Below G5 but still FBS = AA
                                FCS = High A
                                D2 = Low A/rookie league

There is only the occasional and freak-ish situation where a D2 player ends up in P5.
                                If you knew the Texas Rangers farm system almost 9 out of 10 peeps they bring up from triple AAA crap the bed but yeah I get your analogy and mostly agree. Haha.

Yeah the only WT guy I know to make the jump to power 5 was Tyson Williams in 2010 going to Texas Tech before all the portal stuff.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X