Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OT: Nothing but Softball

Sorry, I can't stand viewing the "everything but football" topic. That's like having a commode right in the middle of the living room. I know we all like different sports, but so far there aren't any in there that I like.

However, ladies softball begins this week! Nothing like early February to kick off an outdoor game. WT is rated number 6 in the LSC, which should be easily exceeded. Hopefully World Series MVP Kyra Lair will be fully recovered to pitch this year, and heavy hitter Gabriella Valforte will hopefully also be healthier this year after numerous injuries in 2022.

Not surprisingly we have 5 pitchers, including a freshman who supposedly can also knock the cover off the ball. The other 4 are excellent. There are 5 total freshmen, but no transfers. Out of the 4 D1 transfers we had last year, I thought 2 did a good job. I'm hoping to see better defensive play and much better batting averages at catcher and short stop.

If the team slugging percentage goes up, I think we can challenge Tyler, Kingsville and Angelo (in no particular order) for the top spot!

What about the rest of the LSC?

Returnees
    1st LSC - Jory Cervantes - hit .425, 54 runs, will likely run more this year. One of 2 seniors on team
    1st LSC -Matisen Onofrei - hit .383, 58 RBI, 1.053 OPS . Other senior
    1st LSC -Aaliya Ortiz - hit .381, 14 HR, 49 RBI, 1.210 OPS in her first LSC season
    2nd LSC -Kayla Gonzalez - hit 337, 14 HR, 61 RBI, 1.025 OPS
    Natalie Rodriguez - hit .311, 7 HR in lower third of lineup
    Rylee Oborski - hit .309, earning starting spot midway through season - LSC Freshman Team

Returning pitchers
    2nd LSC - Beth Montes - 14-2, 1.80 ERA
    Lizette Del Angel - 9-4, 2.89 ERA
    Carissa De Los Santos - 10-2, 1.61 ERA - LSC Freshman Team
    Combined, the 3 were 33-8, with a 2.12 ERA, and 1.060 WHIP

Players Lost
    Saidi Castillo - two time 1st LSC, one time 2nd LSC, 63-18, 2.04 ERA for career - graduated and did not come back for final year of eligibility
    Loren Kelly - three time 1st LSC, one time 2nd LSC, NFCA 3rd team All American, hit .353, 290 hits, 204 runs, 177 stolen bases for career
    Jennifer Giesey - 2nd LSC, hit .414, 11 HR, 48 RBI and team record .763 slugging pct, 1.274 OPS, several clutch hits down the stretch
    Kylee Dietrich - in her only season, hit .306, 10 HR, 52 RBI

New players - transfers
    IF - Yaya Kaaialii - Yavapai College - hit .530, with an OPS of 1.772, 26 HR, 89 RBI - NFCA Player of Year, 1st Team All American - will be a sophomore
    IF - Makena Riggs - Yavapai College - hit .352, wth an OPS of 1.156 - 21 HR, 71 RBI -
    OF - Hailey Vess - Grayson College - hit .432, with an OPS of 1.383 - 25 HR, 70 RBI in freshmen year, was limited as a soph. -
    IF - Jackie Garza - A&M-CC - limited playing time - was an all-state player at Santa Gertrudis HS
    C - Brylee Bilger - GCU - Redshirted

New players - High School
    P - Andrea Martinez - Bishop HS - All State - was 56-6 the past two seasons, two-time All-South Texas MVP
    OF - Sammie Saenz - Edinburg HS -
    IF - Shelbie Peal - CC Veterans Memorial HS - hit .534 and .487 as a jr. and sr.

with the coaching change, we did lose a few players
    Meagan Lee and Brooke Sivek were incoming freshmen who transferred to Akron. They likely would have competed for PT

The following probably would not have seen much PT
    Angelique Rangel transferred to UT-Tyler
    Leah Herrera transferred to St. Edwards
    Jillian Jones, Jasmine Canales, Audrey Sayas, Lauren Mata,
    Jackie De Los Santos - part-time starter/bench player for her career - graduated and did not come back for final year of eligibility

I think we should compete for LSC and South Central titles, but so should UT-Tyler, Angelo, LCU and possibly WT.
    Who was the first person to look at a cow and say, "I think I'll squeeze these dangly things here, and drink whatever comes out?"

Comment

The LSC is well represented in the Top 100 D2 softball players. 2 of the 4 WT players listed were D1 transfers from last year.

https://gobuffsgo.com/documents/2023...r_Rankings.pdf

Comment

I have my season tickets - Ready to go.

The team should be much improved, I am thinking of a top-three finish in the LSC
        The Great White Buffalo has Returned

Comment

Originally posted by Great White Buffalo View Post
          I have my season tickets - Ready to go.

The team should be much improved, I am thinking of a top-three finish in the LSC
          I agree! If I lived a lot closer I would be there.

Comment

Today is the big day for WT. Looks like ace pitcher Heidi Vortherms has changed her number. I don't remember us ever having a 41 before today.

You can watch here: https://vcloud.blueframetech.com/broadcast/ppv/519885

Comment

WT blows out Adam's State, playing most if not all of their freshmen. Without live stats it was hard to tell who was playing where. Here's an example of the top quality camera work used during the game. Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20230204-175451_Chrome.jpg
Views:	818
Size:	59.3 KB
ID:	738516

Comment

WT defeats NM Highlands in the second game, 7-0.

Conference standings: https://lonestarconference.org/stand...?path=softball

Comment

WT wins all 4 in New Mexico. The chain link fence got really old, but the commentators were very good.

Emilee Boyer, freshman, hit 3 home runs against CSUP, which provided 8 RBIs. Not bad as CSUP had been 3-0. Boyer also pitched, giving up 4 runs in 4 innings before Emilee Wilson came in and finished off CSUP. The final was 12-4. The earlier game against Fort Lewis was 9-0.

Coach Mook continues to play most everyone on the roster, with maybe 2 exceptions. I'm excited about several of the new players, particularly Boyer and McConnell at second base. It will be interesting to see how the team fares against LSC competition, but right now they are looking great.

Comment

Originally posted by WT_TKW View Post
                    WT wins all 4 in New Mexico. The chain link fence got really old, but the commentators were very good.

Emilee Boyer, freshman, hit 3 home runs against CSUP, which provided 8 RBIs. Not bad as CSUP had been 3-0. Boyer also pitched, giving up 4 runs in 4 innings before Emilee Wilson came in and finished off CSUP. The final was 12-4. The earlier game against Fort Lewis was 9-0.

Coach Mook continues to play most everyone on the roster, with maybe 2 exceptions. I'm excited about several of the new players, particularly Boyer and McConnell at second base. It will be interesting to see how the team fares against LSC competition, but right now they are looking great.
                    Yeah, freshman Boyer, SD HS POY, is hitting .600, 4 HR, and 10 RBI in her first 4 games. I remember reading an article about her in the Des Moines Register where the sports reporter said she could "hit the cover off the ball." Opposing pitchers called her a "monster" at the plate, her 6'1 190 presence "intimidating.". So far her introduction to college pitching has been positive. Ha!

Comment

I have been out watching the games in person. This is the most talent Coach Mook has had. Probably more than Coach B's NC team. Boyer is an impact player
                      wherever she is. I would be interested in who she turned down to play here. Wt may have the best outfield in the nation. The pitching is very deep. Looking forward to
                      a deep run this year.
                      The Great White Buffalo has Returned

Comment

Originally posted by Great White Buffalo View Post
                        I have been out watching the games in person. This is the most talent Coach Mook has had. Probably more than Coach B's NC team. Boyer is an impact player
                        wherever she is. I would be interested in who she turned down to play here. Wt may have the best outfield in the nation. The pitching is very deep. Looking forward to
                        a deep run this year.
                        I hope you're right. It's still early. With what, 6 or 7 top 20 teams in the LSC, whomever successfully runs the LSC gauntlet will be an NC contender.

Comment

The Lady Buffs are now 9-0 after a couple of surprisingly close games against Fort Lewis and New Mexico Highlands. Both teams played well.

It gets a lot tougher next week against Angelo. We will find out who Coach Mook sees as the best pitchers and hitters because so far he's played every player except 1.

Comment

Originally posted by WT_TKW View Post
                            The Lady Buffs are now 9-0 after a couple of surprisingly close games against Fort Lewis and New Mexico Highlands. Both teams played well.

It gets a lot tougher next week against Angelo. We will find out who Coach Mook sees as the best pitchers and hitters because so far he's played every player except 1.
                            I was a bit disappointed with our hitting today against Highlands. Highlands did a good job in the field! Vortherms was very tough on the mound again. 11 K's 3 hits no walks 7 innings.

Comment

There is no doubt that Heidi will start 2 games against Angelo.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X