Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LSC Football Preseason Poll

Angelo State is predicted to win its second consecutive Lone Star Conference football championship according to the 2023 LSC Football Preseason Poll, which was announced on Thursday (July 27) at LSC Football Media Day at McKinney ISD Stadium’s Community Event Center in McKinney, Texas.

The preseason poll is voted on by LSC head coaches, sports information directors and media members.

ASU totaled 241 points and collected first-place votes on all but two of the 27 ballots. Head coach Jeff Girsch’s Rams were 12-1 overall last season, including going unbeaten in league play. ASU reached the NCAA Division II Championship quarterfinals.

Central Washington was picked as the conference runner-up with 198 points and one first-place vote. The Wildcats finished second in the league last season with a 6-3 record (6-4 overall).

Texas A&M-Kingsville was the third-place selection with 174 points, followed by 2021 LSC champion Midwestern State (147 points), West Texas A&M (123 points), Western Oregon (118 points), UT Permian Basin (98 points), Eastern New Mexico (59 points) and Western New Mexico (57 points). WOU picked up the final first-place vote.

LSC football began in 1931. Texas A&M-Kingsville posts a conference-best 27 championships, with its first coming in 1959 and last in 2009. West Texas A&M (1986, 2005-2007 and 2012) has won five LSC crowns. Angelo State (also 1978, 1984 and 1987) and Midwestern State (also 2011-2012 and 2017) each have four. Eastern New Mexico has won twice (1991 and 2013).

2023 LSC FOOTBALL PRESEASON POLL
    Rank Team 1st Total
    1 Angelo State 25 241
    2 Central Washington 1 198
    3 Texas A&M-Kingsville 174
    4 Midwestern State 147
    5 West Texas A&M 123
    6 Western Oregon 1 118
    7 UT Permian Basin 98
    8 Eastern New Mexico 59
    9 Western New Mexico 57

-----------------------------------------------------------

Football 7/27/2023 12:30:00 PM
    Central Washington’s Henderson, Texas A&M-Kingsville’s Coleman receive LSC Football preseason honors; Players to Watch list announced

Story Links

Central Washington running back Tre’jon Henderson and Texas A&M-Kingsville senior defensive back Amos Coleman were selected as the 2023 Lone Star Conference Football Preseason Players of the Year, it was announced on Thursday (July 27) at LSC Football Media Day at McKinney ISD Stadium’s Community Event Center in McKinney, Texas.

Henderson received Preseason Offensive Player of the Year honors, while Coleman claimed Preseason Defensive Player of the Year recognition.

The league’s preseason awards were selected by a vote of LSC head coaches, sports information directors and media members.

Henderson, a 6-foot, 218-pound junior from Fort Worth, Texas, led the conference with 12 rushing touchdowns in just nine games in 2022. He averaged 95.4 yards per game, 5.5 yards per carry and had a pair of three-TD performances. Henderson had two games with more than 150 yards on the ground. He earned Second Team All-LSC recognition.

Coleman, a 5-foot-11, 185-pound senior from New Orleans, La., had five interceptions – one returned for a touchdown – last season. He made 40 tackles and broke up seven passes. Coleman also doubled as a returner and took one kickoff back a conference season-long 95 yards for a score. He earned First Team All-LSC recognition on defense and honorable mention on special teams.

Additionally, 18 players – nine offensive and nine defensive, including Henderson and Coleman – were selected for the LSC Football Preseason Players to Watch list. The student-athletes were nominated by their member institution.

LSC football, which began in 1931, begins the new season over the Aug. 31-Sept. 2 weekend with all nine teams in action.

2023 LSC FOOTBALL PRESEASON AWARDS

Preseason Offensive Player of the Year
    Tre’jon Henderson, RB, Jr., Central Washington

Preseason Defensive Player of the Year
    Amos Coleman, DB, Sr., Texas A&M-Kingsville

Preseason Offensive Players to Watch
    Name School Cl. Pos. Major Hometown (Previous School)
    Zorhan Rideaux Angelo State Jr. WR Kinesiology Houston, Texas (North Shore HS)
    Tre’jon Henderson Central Washington Jr. RB Media/Journalism Fort Worth, Texas (SFA)
    Hunter St. John Eastern New Mexico Gr. OL Business Admin. Clovis, N.M. (CHS)
    Jalen March Midwestern State Fr. RB Education Seguin, Texas (SHS)
    Christian Anderson Texas A&M-Kingsville Gr. RB Adult Education Cypress, Texas (CHS)
    Kenny Hrncir UT Permian Basin Gr. QB MBA Needville, Texas (East Central)
    Noah Bogardus West Texas A&M Sr. WR Public Admin. Eastvale, Calif. (Azusa Pacific)
    Devin Larsen Western New Mexico Jr. QB Kinesiology Queen Creek, Ariz. (Iowa St.)
    Gannon Winker Western Oregon Jr. QB Org. Leadership Bainbridge Island, Wash. (BHS)

Preseason Defensive Players to Watch
    Name School Cl. Pos. Major Hometown (Previous School)
    Eric Rascoe Angelo State Jr. LB Business Admin. San Antonio, Texas (Warren HS)
    Patrick Rogers Central Washington Sr. DB Business Admin. Tacoma, Wash. (Lincoln HS)
    Timothy Jones Eastern New Mexico Sr. LB Management Sierra Vista, Ariz. (Saddleback)
    Dylon Davis Midwestern State Sr. CB Criminal Justice Abilene, Texas (Cooper HS)
    Amos Coleman Texas A&M-Kingsville Sr. DB Criminal Justice New Orleans, La. (Elsik HS)
    Hayden Kelly UT Permian Basin Sr. LB Business Marketing Magnolia, Texas (MHS)
    JT Cavender West Texas A&M Jr. LB Mech. Engineering Midlothian, Texas (MHS)
    Jordan Davis Western New Mexico Jr. CB Kinesiology Macon, Ga. (Northeastern Okla. A&M)
    Malcom Liufau Western Oregon So. LB Exercise Science Honolulu, Hawaii (Punahou HS)
    Who was the first person to look at a cow and say, "I think I'll squeeze these dangly things here, and drink whatever comes out?"

My two cents:

OK, who gave Western Oregon a first place vote?

I think the main question is whether Angelo is still the kings of the conference, because there are question marks on just about every team. They’re the teams with coaching changes and teams that got hit with transfers and/or graduations, and it’s going to be tough to see who will be ready to win.

I think the teams I’ll be looking at closely to see how they finish will be Kingsville, WT, and PB, the first because of how they finished last year (no cupcake schedule this year!), and the latter two because they made a ton of changes but seem to have potential. CWU is close but they’ll need to prove it on defense and Lemming needs to bring it now that Glasper is gone.

Kind of surprised WNMU got picked last-guessing they’re not trusting a coach with no experience there.

Teams that seem kind of quiet are MSU (do they have a QB?) and WOU (Winker could get them some wins).

ENMU I would have picked last simply because it’s going to take a couple years for Lee to get the roster right.

Comment

Western New Mexico to finish in last place?

​​​​​​Go Mustangs!

Comment

I think this is the first time that UTPB did not get a first place vote. I guess Carrigan forgot to tell the new guy how to vote.
        Who was the first person to look at a cow and say, "I think I'll squeeze these dangly things here, and drink whatever comes out?"

Comment

By default WT needs to be ranked dead last given how the last few games ended up last year.

Comment

Originally posted by Buffalo/Islander Alum View Post
            By default WT needs to be ranked dead last given how the last few games ended up last year.
            If Hughes had kept his job, I would agree. However he's gone, and the new coach has a very good track record. WT will be much better.

Comment

Originally posted by WT_TKW View Post

If Hughes had kept his job, I would agree. However he's gone, and the new coach has a very good track record. WT will be much better.
              It will be fun to see how it goes for him.

Comment

I just saw this little tidbit

Chuck Bitner
                @D2Chuck
                ·
                8h
                Last year, the MIAA became the first D2 conference to deploy video replay for football. During last week's media day events, the RMAC, GLIAC and LSC announced that they will begin using replay this fall.

With the LSC refs it will take a week to play a game.

Comment

Get ready for a lot of “ The ruling on the field stands”. Most teams in D2 only have 3 to 4 cameras, and they are far from the action.

Comment

Originally posted by buffalobill View Post
                    Get ready for a lot of “ The ruling on the field stands”. Most teams in D2 only have 3 to 4 cameras, and they are far from the action.
                    It did help them get a couple right last year. Really didn't slow games down much.

Comment

Originally posted by AngeloFan View Post

Chuck Bitner
                      @D2Chuck
                      ·
                      8h
                      Last year, the MIAA became the first D2 conference to deploy video replay for football. During last week's media day events, the RMAC, GLIAC and LSC announced that they will begin using replay this fall.

Hahaha. So true!

Comment

Chuck Bitner
                        @D2Chuck
                        ·
                        8h

A lot of us GSC supporters say the same thing about GSC officiating. The GSC is instituting replay this season, too, for the first time. Each coach will only have 1 challenge per game and there are no booth reviews. The LSC will probably have something similar, so the games shouldn't slow down too much.
                        RESPECT THE STATESMEN, FEAR THE OKRA!
                        Delta State University, GSC

Comment

Originally posted by CalifOKRA View Post
                          A lot of us GSC supporters say the same thing about GSC officiating. The GSC is instituting replay this season, too, for the first time. Each coach will only have 1 challenge per game and there are no booth reviews. The LSC will probably have something similar, so the games shouldn't slow down too much.
                          It went pretty smoothly in the MIAA last year.

It's not like an NFL replay where it takes so long that you forget who was playing.

Comment

Chuck Bitner
                            @D2Chuck
                            ·
                            8h

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X