• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• West Georgia seeking to move to D1 GSC starting to mirror LSC

University of West Georgia

09-06-2023, 03:57 PM
    Not sure if anyone else had seen this yet from Matt Brown

Multiple industry sources tell Extra Points that the University of West Georgia is seeking to reclassify to D-I and join the ASUN and UAC. The Georgia Board of Regents will consider the request in a meeting this Friday.

It appears the GSC may be yet losing another football member to D1 following UNA. I think this puts Valdosta and West Fla in the same boat as the LSC schools when Tarleton and Commerce left. I don't think they have a Sul Ross and the West Coast schools to backfill.

It does seem the same scenario. However, based on what I hear, the LSC should look very promising in a few years.

I know several people thought very highly of TAMUC and Tarleton.

Remember, before the Carthels, Commerce was a punching bag.

The move up has them back to a meh team middle of the pack 5-6 6-5 type team. The just got the sh!t kicked out of them 48-10 vs UC Davis. TAMUC CANNOT compete in D1AA.

Tarleton isn't much better, BUT they did beat-up McNeese.....that's not saying much. I do understand the Tarleton move for basketball. Back in the LSC Tarleton wasn't special. Looking back from 2010 - 2017 they could be 3-8, 6-5, or a 7-4.team, bouncing around until ONE good 2018 season. They were NOT a powerhouse all those years.

I did not and still do not understand the TAMUC move. Enrollment seems to have dropped since they moved to D1aa. 🤷🏻‍♂️
    Last edited by ASUPops; 09-06-2023, 09:46 PM.

Comment

Unless UTD adds football and MHB join I really see the LSC as a watered down league less WT of course. LOL

Comment

Originally posted by ASUPops View Post
        It does seem the same scenario. However, based on what I hear, the LSC should look very promising in a few years.

The move up has them back to a meh team middle of the pack 5-6 6-5 type team. The just got the sh!t kicked out of them 48-10 vs UC Davis. TAMUC CANNOT compete in D1AA.

Tarleton isn't much better, BUT they did beat-up McNeese.....that's not saying much. I do understand the Tarleton move for basketball. Back in the LSC Tarleton wasn't special. Looking back from 2010 - 2017 they could be 3-8, 6-5, or a 7-4.team, bouncing around until ONE good 2018 season. They were NOT a powerhouse all those years.

I did not and still do not understand the TAMUC move. Enrollment seems to have dropped since they moved to D1aa. 🤷🏻‍♂️
        When both moved up they were established powerhouses in the Conference.

Hard to lose schools like that and backfill with Sul Ross.

Comment

TAMC is transitioning so of course they aren't gonna be great right off the bat but in 5 or 10 years they will be

Comment

Originally posted by UISguy23 View Post

TAMC is transitioning so of course they aren't gonna be great right off the bat but in 5 or 10 years they will be
            If the SLC is still around they probably will be. I mean....pretty much 4 or 5 LSC programs could join the SLC and be conference contenders in a few years.😂😂
            Last edited by ASUPops; 09-07-2023, 06:17 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Techster88 View Post

When both moved up they were established powerhouses in the Conference.

Hard to lose schools like that and backfill with Sul Ross.
              I guess our definitions of powerhouse differs.

Tarleton was on top for 2 seasons. That's it!

TAMUC was on top with the Carthels. They WERE a powerhouse with the Carthels. They won't be at d1aa.

We can agree to disagree.

But I do agree the LSC would be better with both AND UIW.

Comment

TAMUC was on top with the Carthels. They WERE a powerhouse with the Carthels. They won't be at d1aa.

There seems to be so much transition in and out of 1AA, and so many coaching changes that it's hard to project anything 10 years out, imo.

Comment

Most of us in the GSC forums saw this coming. Most think West Florida and Valdosta will follow in the near future. Valdosta and West Florida will be fine. The GSC schools that this movement is hurting is Delta State and West Alabama. They don't have the funding and neither school has big enrollment numbers.

I posted this in the GSC forum:
                  "Noooo! RIP GSC football!

I hate to see these schools leave the GSC, but I 100% don't blame them. I think it's a smart move. UWF and VSU, I'm sure, will follow eventually.

I would love for DSU to move up, but I don't see it happening with our diminishing enrollment and lack of funds. Although it won't happen, I would also love to see DSU and Mississippi Valley State merge. I truly think a merger would benefit both schools."
                  RESPECT THE STATESMEN, FEAR THE OKRA!
                  Delta State University, GSC

Comment

The Commerce move was 100% driven by the goofball we hired for a prez. His newest mission is to remove all the books from the library. For real.

Comment

Originally posted by JakeTAMUC View Post

The Commerce move was 100% driven by the goofball we hired for a prez. His newest mission is to remove all the books from the library. For real.
                      Texas A&M - E-Commerce?

Comment

Originally posted by JakeTAMUC View Post

Is he going green, or is he a religious nut bag who hates books?

Comment

Originally posted by Predatory Primates View Post

Is he going green, or is he a religious nut bag who hates books?
                          I dont think its about green anything. They've removed like 500,000 books from the collection over the last 2 years. Entire floors are empty.

Comment

If I remember right, Tarleton was solid, but not great, in the early 2000's. They had a split of the conference title in the 2001-2004 range. They had a number of teams with records between 7-4 & 9-2 in the first decade of the 2000's and made several playoff appearances and some playoff wins. They didn't roll over back then.

I miss Commerce mainly because of how far back they go with Kingsville (back to the 30's I believe).

I also have some fond memories of Abilene Christian. They had some good years in the conference and some good games against Kingsville.

Comment

Originally posted by TAMUK09 View Post

If I remember right, Tarleton was solid, but not great, in the early 2000's. They had a split of the conference title in the 2001-2004 range. They had a number of teams with records between 7-4 & 9-2 in the first decade of the 2000's and made several playoff appearances and some playoff wins. They didn't roll over back then.

I miss Commerce mainly because of how far back they go with Kingsville (back to the 30's I believe).

I also have some fond memories of Abilene Christian. They had some good years in the conference and some good games against Kingsville.
                              We lost our biggest football rivalry. It was a lot of fun.

Central Washington–Western Washington football rivalry - Wikipedia

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X