Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• One More Time - Wt VB

CANYON, Texas- The No. 5 West Texas A&M Lady Buffs fought hard in five sets against the No. 8 MSU Denver Roadrunners to claim their third consecutive NCAA South Central Regional Championship.

The Match
    #5 West Texas A&M 3, #8 MSU Denver 2 (23-25, 25-23, 14-25, 25-22, 15-11)

The Records
    • West Texas A&M 31-3 (14-2 LSC)
    • MSU Denver 25-7 (14-1 RMAC)
    HOW IT HAPPENED
    The Lady Buffs started down in every set except the fifth. The MSU Denver Roadrunners came out hot in The Box holding the Lady Buffs to a .000 hitting percentage in the first set. After falling too far behind, the Roadrunners would close it out 25-23.

The second set the Lady Buffs chipped away but at one point fell behind by six points. WT would tie up the set at 19 to then put it away after three kills back-to-back-to-back kills by sophomore Emma Becker who hit .429 on the night and was one kill shy of leading the Lady Buffs. The third set saw uncharacteristic hitting errors from the Lady Buffs while the Roadrunners dominated on all cylinders. They would hold the Lady Buffs to just 14 points, their lowest score in their postseason run this season.

The fourth set was a battle of grit for the Lady Buffs as they started down 0-5 before calling their first timeout of the set. They would go on to battle the Roadrunners and get to 15 by the time MSU Denver had 20. The Lady Buffs went on a 10-2 run to steal the set 25-22 from the Roadrunners. With The Box on fire with excitement the Lady Buffs would start the fifth set up with their front-line blockers leading the way. The Lady Buffs combined for 15 team blocks on the match which helped them gain an 8-4 lead in the fifth. The defensive efforts of Emma Patterson and Piper Warren gave the Lady Buffs an edge on the set with Patterson contributing 20 digs and Warren coming in clutch with serve receive to get the Lady Buffs extra points. WT would go on to finish the match 15-11 inside of a packed Box.

BY THE NUMBERS
    Torrey Miller had 19 kills on 48 attempts with eight errors to hit .229. Ainsley Malis led with 24 assists while Bryli Contreras had 25 hard fought digs and Taytum Stow contributed 7 blocks out of 15 team blocks.

MILESTONES
    • The Lady Buffs continue their postseason run with their 16th regional tournament title and third consecutive regional championship win
    • WT moves to an overall 61-22 record in the NCAA post-season play
    • Kendra Potts moves to 12-2 in the NCAA tournament with a 122-23 overall record
    • Torrey Miller is nine kills away from being the third all-time kills leader in WT history (Currently Miller has 1,941 career kills)
    • Bryli Contreras is 44 digs from 1,000 career digs
    • Fans packed The Box for the second largest crowd in Lady Buff Volleyball history with 1,658
    SOUTH CENTRAL REGION ALL-TOURNAMENT TEAM
    Torrey Miller, West Texas A&M
    Carly Evetts, West Texas A&M
    Taytum Stow, West Texas A&M
    Bryli Contreras, West Texas A&M
    Rylie Anderson, MSU Denver
    Rylee Hladky, MSU Denver
    Ember Cantry, MSU Denver
    Abbie McCrimson, MSU Denver
    Delaney Fuller, DBU
    Hannah Kinnison, ASU
    Mara Legrand, Regis
    Ayanna Jackson, Texas A&M-Kingsville

COMING UP
    The Lady Buffs will prepare to travel next week to Moon Township, Pennsylvania for the NCAA Division II National Championship where the top eight teams in the nation will compete from Dec. 7-9.
    The Great White Buffalo has Returned

What a weekend for Lady Buffs volleyball! The last match versus MSU-Denver was incredible. The Box was packed and loud. (In fact the Lady Buffs drew over 4000 fans for the 3 matches.) The crowd stood for the entire 5th set. Great win for the Lady Buffs. Now to Pennsylvania next week to try to win back-to-back NC.
    Last edited by oldbuff; 12-03-2023, 07:02 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Great White Buffalo View Post
      CANYON, Texas- The No. 5 West Texas A&M Lady Buffs fought hard in five sets against the No. 8 MSU Denver Roadrunners to claim their third consecutive NCAA South Central Regional Championship.

The Match
      #5 West Texas A&M 3, #8 MSU Denver 2 (23-25, 25-23, 14-25, 25-22, 15-11)

The Records
      • West Texas A&M 31-3 (14-2 LSC)
      • MSU Denver 25-7 (14-1 RMAC)
      HOW IT HAPPENED
      The Lady Buffs started down in every set except the fifth. The MSU Denver Roadrunners came out hot in The Box holding the Lady Buffs to a .000 hitting percentage in the first set. After falling too far behind, the Roadrunners would close it out 25-23.

The second set the Lady Buffs chipped away but at one point fell behind by six points. WT would tie up the set at 19 to then put it away after three kills back-to-back-to-back kills by sophomore Emma Becker who hit .429 on the night and was one kill shy of leading the Lady Buffs. The third set saw uncharacteristic hitting errors from the Lady Buffs while the Roadrunners dominated on all cylinders. They would hold the Lady Buffs to just 14 points, their lowest score in their postseason run this season.

The fourth set was a battle of grit for the Lady Buffs as they started down 0-5 before calling their first timeout of the set. They would go on to battle the Roadrunners and get to 15 by the time MSU Denver had 20. The Lady Buffs went on a 10-2 run to steal the set 25-22 from the Roadrunners. With The Box on fire with excitement the Lady Buffs would start the fifth set up with their front-line blockers leading the way. The Lady Buffs combined for 15 team blocks on the match which helped them gain an 8-4 lead in the fifth. The defensive efforts of Emma Patterson and Piper Warren gave the Lady Buffs an edge on the set with Patterson contributing 20 digs and Warren coming in clutch with serve receive to get the Lady Buffs extra points. WT would go on to finish the match 15-11 inside of a packed Box.

BY THE NUMBERS
      Torrey Miller had 19 kills on 48 attempts with eight errors to hit .229. Ainsley Malis led with 24 assists while Bryli Contreras had 25 hard fought digs and Taytum Stow contributed 7 blocks out of 15 team blocks.

MILESTONES
      • The Lady Buffs continue their postseason run with their 16th regional tournament title and third consecutive regional championship win
      • WT moves to an overall 61-22 record in the NCAA post-season play
      • Kendra Potts moves to 12-2 in the NCAA tournament with a 122-23 overall record
      • Torrey Miller is nine kills away from being the third all-time kills leader in WT history (Currently Miller has 1,941 career kills)
      • Bryli Contreras is 44 digs from 1,000 career digs
      • Fans packed The Box for the second largest crowd in Lady Buff Volleyball history with 1,658
      SOUTH CENTRAL REGION ALL-TOURNAMENT TEAM
      Torrey Miller, West Texas A&M
      Carly Evetts, West Texas A&M
      Taytum Stow, West Texas A&M
      Bryli Contreras, West Texas A&M
      Rylie Anderson, MSU Denver
      Rylee Hladky, MSU Denver
      Ember Cantry, MSU Denver
      Abbie McCrimson, MSU Denver
      Delaney Fuller, DBU
      Hannah Kinnison, ASU
      Mara Legrand, Regis
      Ayanna Jackson, Texas A&M-Kingsville

COMING UP
      The Lady Buffs will prepare to travel next week to Moon Township, Pennsylvania for the NCAA Division II National Championship where the top eight teams in the nation will compete from Dec. 7-9.
      I pd for the first time this year to watch the Lady Buffs VB wow what a Match it was,, great fight to come back. Use to watch many games until WT and LSC now makes us pay. Use to listen to local Amarillo station broadcast football and bb games but now we have to pay for that. Not good. If local station still broadcast bb let me know. Sure hope WT can hang on to the VB coach,,, such a great tradition WT VB

Comment

Originally posted by Buffan78 View Post

I pd for the first time this year to watch the Lady Buffs VB wow what a Match it was,, great fight to come back. Use to watch many games until WT and LSC now makes us pay. Use to listen to local Amarillo station broadcast football and bb games but now we have to pay for that. Not good. If local station still broadcast bb let me know. Sure hope WT can hang on to the VB coach,,, such a great tradition WT VB
        My Islanders did a great job poaching Graystone away from WT several years back.

He turned around that program before being poached by Tech.

I know I may be missing a name or two but interesting how many of the current/recent past Tech head coaches were once head coaches at WT (Graystone, Gerlich, Adams).

Comment

In the best set I have ever seen, Wt survived 10 match points to win set 4, 36-34. Winning the 5th set and match, advancing to the National Championship game, to defend their current
          NC.
          Last edited by Great White Buffalo; 12-08-2023, 10:02 PM.

Comment

GWB nailed it! It was incredible! The best VB match I have seen and I thought last week’s win in the regional couldn’t be matched.

Comment

Awesome win by the Lady Buffs!!!

Comment

Good luck Buffaloes. Hope Pittsburgh is treating them well.

Comment

Is saying it is "the best vb match you have ever seen" akin to kissing the best looking cousin st the family reunion?

Comment

That was one gutsy comeback by Lady Buffs. 2 outstanding teams! I hope Lady Buffs have enough gas left in their tanks. That match had to be physically fatiguing and mentally draining. Cal State-LA is on a roll. They are big and physical. They can come out loosey goosey and ready to upset WT. WT has the big target on their backs. Defending is SO hard to do.

Comment

Anyone else watch Lady Buffs last two Matches both come backs but yesterdays win over Tampa had to be the most exciting VB game I have ever watched. This one will do down in Buff History with that huge come back. Who ever lost that match will will thinking about it a long time. Today WT plays for National Title. I sure hope Coach Potts gets a well deserved raise and stays at WT. Im sure D1 will be coming looking for her.

Comment

Originally posted by Runnin' Cat View Post
                        Is saying it is "the best vb match you have ever seen" akin to kissing the best looking cousin st the family reunion?
                        A little history. I have been watching Wt VB since 1975. One of the Coaches who won a NC was Kim Hudson. Kim is my cousin. I have seen a lot of VB.
                        So the answer is no.

Comment

Just came up short.Great season for the Lady Buffs!!

Comment

In the best set I have ever seen, Wt survived 10 match points to win set 4, 36-34. Winning the 5th set and match, advancing to the National Championship game, to defend their current
                            NC.
                            That had to be one of the be VB matches I have seen. I think It took a lot out of the ladie in their loss today but nothing to be ashamed of runner up in the country. Great program, I sure hope Potts stays at WT

Comment

A little history. I have been watching Wt VB since 1975. One of the Coaches who won a NC was Kim Hudson. Kim is my cousin. I have seen a lot of VB.
                              So the answer is no.
                              Well you have seen more then me I guess. I do not remember WT having VB when I was at WT from 74 to 78 but I was more focused on football and BB then , the Maurice Cheeks era and some pretty good football under coach Yung.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X