Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by CalifOKRA View Post

Speaking of the Texas Tech System, I'm actually surprised the schools in the system don't use Texas Tech's name like the A&M System and UT System.

Texas Tech University - San Angelo (TTUSA) or Texas Tech University - Angelo (TTUA)
    Texas Tech University - Midwestern (TTUM)

I actually think it would help TTU and the smaller schools. It would bring brand/national recognition to the small schools and expand TTU's reach in name.

Lastly, with San Angelo's history of agriculture, I'm surprised they didn't seek to join the A&M System.
    The legislation moving ASU from the Texas State system too TT stipulates that ASU will stay ASU. Not sure about MSU.

No way the locals would go with the A&M or UT system. We had that option and turned it down.

Comment

Originally posted by AngeloFan View Post
      The legislation moving ASU from the Texas State system too TT stipulates that ASU will stay ASU. Not sure about MSU.

No way the locals would go with the A&M or UT system. We had that option and turned it down.
      Why was the A&M and UT system turned down?
      I’m just curious.
      RESPECT THE STATESMEN, FEAR THE OKRA!
      Delta State University, GSC

Comment

Why was the A&M and UT system turned down?
        I’m just curious.
        I think it has a lot to do with control of endowments.

Comment

Originally posted by AngeloFan View Post

I think it has a lot to do with control of endowments.
          That makes sense. I know ASU has one of the largest endowments in D2.
          RESPECT THE STATESMEN, FEAR THE OKRA!
          Delta State University, GSC

Comment

That makes sense. I know ASU has one of the largest endowments in D2.
            That is what prompted ASU to leave the Texas State system. They were planning to use ASU's endowment as collateral for major construction at Texas State San Marcus.

Comment

Originally posted by MooseLodge View Post

I doubt that Texas Tech is concerned about anyone else's athletic program. The only two programs of their own that they are putting real money in are football and men's basketball. Everything else is operating on a "need to" basis financially. Bare minimums. Women's basketball and volleyball are only expected to be moderately competitive for coaches to keep their jobs. They don't get much money. Hence, they can't recruit, hence, they can't be competitive.
              When I was at Tech, I was told by the AD at that time Football paid for all other sports.

Comment

Originally posted by Techster88 View Post

When I was at Tech, I was told by the AD at that time Football paid for all other sports.
                The AD was correct. But anything below Power 5, football isn't a meaningful revenue generator, and neither is any other sport. Not to say that athletic programs are not important, but they are an expense, with perhaps some offset by boosters, sponsors, and ticket sales. The student body subsidizes the bulk of athletics through their fees.

Comment

Its official. Stephen F. Austin back to the Southland.

SFA Athletics Accepts Invitation to Join Southland Conference in 2024-25 - Southland Conference

Comment

Originally posted by Buffalo/Islander Alum View Post
                    Now, If ACU decides to jump back in.......it would set the stage for WT, Angelo, Kingsville, and Midwestern to join the Southland.

Comment

Why the hurry to jump now and pay exit fees instead of waiting a year?

Comment

Originally posted by BuffaloChip View Post

Now, If ACU decides to jump back in.......it would set the stage for WT, Angelo, Kingsville, and Midwestern to join the Southland.
                        Tarleton might be a possibility but have a feeling ACU will gamble with their private school status and "move up" to something better.

We all know WT has no interest,

Kingsville maybe if they merge with Corpus to keep Corpus a "valuable member" to take care of the football problem.

I would wager ASU and UTPB jump to the Southland if any of the teams listed do jump at all.

Comment

Tarleton might be a possibility but have a feeling ACU will gamble with their private school status and "move up" to something better.

We all know WT has no interest,

Kingsville maybe if they merge with Corpus to keep Corpus a "valuable member" to take care of the football problem.

I would wager ASU and UTPB jump to the Southland if any of the teams listed do jump at all.
                          I'm not so completely sure WT would have no interest. If any LSC schools accepted an invite, I believe the dominos would begin to fall.

Comment

ACUs president recently said on the record that they're committed to rebuilding the WAC, so they're probably staying put at least in the immediate future

https://www.bigcountryhomepage.com/b...re-in-the-wac/

Comment

Originally posted by laker View Post

Why the hurry to jump now and pay exit fees instead of waiting a year?
                              How much is the exit fee? Must have been some pretty easy math.

Comment

Originally posted by Finchwidget View Post
                                ACUs president recently said on the record that they're committed to rebuilding the WAC, so they're probably staying put at least in the immediate future

https://www.bigcountryhomepage.com/b...re-in-the-wac/

Sounds like to me, he is anything but committed to the WAC beyond today. He wants a Texas-only football conference. That doesn't sound real good for ACU's future in the WAC. He also said that Grand Canyon is spending twice the money ACU is on athletics, and that's without football. He said "you can't be at the middle or bottom of a conference in funding and expect to compete at the top."

So ACU's time in the WAC is very short.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X