Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Wacky WAC

Seattle U and GCU are off to the WCC. Never have figured out how this conference makes economic sense to ANY of the schools, being so far apart.

Here's the story. https://picks-s1.cbssports.com/colle...s-complicated/
    Last edited by crixus; 05-10-2024, 05:51 PM.
    Go Mustangs!

Comment

The question is, what happens to the WAC now? Will there be more defections? Or will there be more D2 call ups? Also, Missouri State went from the MVC to C-USA. All sorts of things for a Friday.

Comment

Originally posted by MooseLodge View Post
        Seattle U and GCU are off to the WCC. Never have figured out how this conference makes economic sense to ANY of the schools, being so far apart.
        Almost as crazy as Western Oregon and Central Washington playing in the Lone Star Conference.

Comment

Originally posted by laker View Post
          The question is, what happens to the WAC now? Will there be more defections? Or will there be more D2 call ups? Also, Missouri State went from the MVC to C-USA. All sorts of things for a Friday.
          I grew up on the WAC, listening to New Mexico Lobos games on the transistor radio my Dad brought me back from his second tour of Vietnam with the Marines in the early 70's. We lived in SoCal but KKOB 770 Albuquerque booms all over the Southwest at night. *I'll always have a soft spot for the ol' WAC.
          Last edited by crixus; 05-10-2024, 06:56 PM.
          Go Mustangs!

Comment

The question is, what happens to the WAC now? Will there be more defections? Or will there be more D2 call ups?
            SFA has been having strong talks about rejoining the Southland. I think the WAC is probably dead in the water, unfortunately

Comment

Originally posted by crixus View Post

I grew up on the WAC, listening to New Mexico Lobos games on the transistor radio my Dad brought me back from his second tour of Vietnam with the Marines in the early 70's. We lived in SoCal but KKOB 770 Albuquerque booms all over the Southwest at night. *I still have a soft spot for the ol' WAC and I hope it survives.
              I remember staying up late and falling asleep listening to the Gophers at Arizona State game back in 1969 when they were still in the WAC. Yes, I have a soft spot for them, just like I do for the Yankee Conference.

Comment

I remember staying up late and falling asleep listening to the Gophers at Arizona State game back in 1969 when they were still in the WAC. Yes, I have a soft spot for them, just like I do for the Yankee Conference.
                That's great, thanks for sharing. The more I think about the WAC, the more I think it will survive.
                Last edited by crixus; 06-10-2024, 10:49 PM.
                Go Mustangs!

Comment

Originally posted by crixus View Post

That's great, thanks for sharing. The more I think about the WAC the more I think it will survive.
                  You're right. That conference name and logo will be around forever, even if it's some jucos eventually.

Comment

Originally posted by tsull View Post

Almost as crazy as Western Oregon and Central Washington playing in the Lone Star Conference.
                    Maybe the WAC offers them a spot?

Comment

Originally posted by cwfenn View Post

Maybe the WAC offers them a spot?
                      I think the football on the western athletic conferences FCS and they just started it up. Western Oregon averages about 1500 fans a game and has 14 scholarships. I don't think they are a candidate and I really hope our athletic department does not move up because I think we'd go winless in football and winless and basketball and last place in all of our minor sports. We don't have the infrastructure for D1 and I wish people would quit bringing this up every year. Central Washington, however, has a bigger fan base and infrastructure and I don't think they would succeed in moving up either.
                      Last edited by tsull; 05-11-2024, 11:10 AM.

Comment

I like Western Oregon but the higher ups there are clueless on how to do anything hell chicago state is in a better spot than they are

Comment

The WAC going under would be crazy to me, my former school was one of the D2s that got an invite to move up. Myself and other alums were against the move up because we felt we’d just be a punching bag for money. And sure enough, that’s what happened.
                          It would be funny if the conference that invited us up then proceed to not survive the next decade.

Comment

Originally posted by UISguy23 View Post
                            I like Western Oregon but the higher ups there are clueless on how to do anything hell chicago state is in a better spot than they are
                            I would agree with this but the school has never been in a D1 footprint, Portland State gets like 500 fans a game and just hemorrhages money athletically.

Western Oregon is closer to division 3 than it is division two and I would agree with the leadership there they don't seem to know how to promote anything. That aside, the school is not a division one school and won't be they don't have the fan or booster base.

They are super low in athletic scholarships in every single sport, not just football. Basketball has a little bit more because an alum raises money, not the school. Even if they really started caring they're still not in a division one footprint and most schools in America are not. This is what I get tired of on this website is every single person thinks every single school should move up. It's a clown show most of the time. I just want Western Oregon to be good in division 2, and the only way they'll do that is if they crank things up in that division, not aspire to a division that would bankrupt the University.

Comment

Originally posted by tsull View Post

I think the football on the western athletic conferences FCS and they just started it up. Western Oregon averages about 1500 fans a game and has 14 scholarships. I don't think they are a candidate and I really hope our athletic department does not move up because I think we'd go winless in football and winless and basketball and last place in all of our minor sports. We don't have the infrastructure for D1 and I wish people would quit bringing this up every year. Central Washington, however, has a bigger fan base and infrastructure and I don't think they would succeed in moving up either.
                              CWU would be on par budget wise with UNC in the Big Sky and a bit behind EWU with bottom tier facilities for the Big Sky. IF (Big if) were to move up it would be the Big Sky. Montana and Montana State have athletic budgets nearly 3x CWU's with incredibly better facilities.

Not a chance...

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X