X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stanger86
    replied
    Re: Augie d1 thread

Regardless of what happens, it is impressive what Augustana has done since joining the conference. They were arguably an afterthought for some folks in terms of the four teams that came over when the NCC folded. But I don't think it's a stretch to say that today it may be the strongest of those four programs top to bottom.

Leave a comment:

• Brandon
    replied

Originally posted by Stanger86 View Post
    https://www.argusleader.com/story/sp...eap/511148002/

Augie's current budget is comparable to North Alabama's, which is also around $10 million.

What SDSU's budget was 14 years ago is irrelevant.

What UNA's budget is this year is more relevant, but still not incredibly relevant. Southern schools typically have smaller budgets than northern schools. Geography is important. What's most relevant is what SDSU, USD, NDSU, and UND are spending right now.

Leave a comment:

• vikingfaithful
    replied

Have not looked at conferences or scenarios as it's annoying waiting for this end of the year decision. Myself, I'm solidly in the stay NSIC as a D2 school. Augie does well as a D2 school and that makes sports fun. Raising another 10 million would be a daunting task for Augustana. We are pretty cordial on D2.Com, I'm sure it's not that way on local D1 chat sites.

Leave a comment:

• Techster88
    replied

Not sure where Augie can land their football program. There definitely needs to be another FCS Conference added. The Southland, MVFC, & Big Sky are all bloated. I am sure that the WAC could bring back football, but would need at 6 schools for a conference. They would have an automatic bid into playoffs. Of course, the WAC would rather implode than have some forward thinkers revive the conference.

Leave a comment:

• Techster88
    replied

Originally posted by Purple Mav Man View Post
    Looks like the league spends all their money on travel expenses instead of scholarships.
    Yep, that always burns me up. How schools can spend $$$ on coaches traveling all over running up tabs to recruit players, but yet have no athletic scholarship $$$ for the players.

Leave a comment:

• NSU4LIFE
    replied

Originally posted by StateU View Post
    Easily 12k when the Bison are in SF. But they can stand ...
    Agreed

Leave a comment:

• StateU
    replied

Originally posted by NSU4LIFE View Post
    They would almost have to make a promise to the MVFC that if allowed in they would meet these differences criteria, including added seating at the stadium. Just for when the old NCC schools, especially the Bison you probably need to be close to 12,000 or so
    Easily 12k when the Bison are in SF. But they can stand ...

Leave a comment:

• NSU4LIFE
    replied

On the whole, this is a very good point.

One thing to note is that KO Stadium is on the smaller side. Not unheard of for FCS football (heck, it dwarfs stadiums out east) but all other MVFC stadiums seat 10,000 minimum. I'd think replacing the berms with seating would make up most of that difference if they wanted to expand, though I'm not certain. That or expanding seating on the visitor's side would be your two likeliest options there.
    They would almost have to make a promise to the MVFC that if allowed in they would meet these differences criteria, including added seating at the stadium. Just for when the old NCC schools, especially the Bison you probably need to be close to 12,000 or so

Leave a comment:

• StateU
    replied

One thing to note is that KO Stadium is on the smaller side. Not unheard of for FCS football (heck, it dwarfs stadiums out east) but all other MVFC stadiums seat 10,000 minimum. I'd think replacing the berms with seating would make up most of that difference if they wanted to expand, though I'm not certain. That or expanding seating on the visitor's side would be your two likeliest options there.
    The average FCS game draws 8200 fans and I would guess that Augie has a much smaller fanbase than the Dakota public schools. Expanding the visitor seating would be good start.

Leave a comment:

• Stanger86
    replied

Originally posted by Augieholic View Post
    Augie's facilities, once they get the indoor/outdoor track built, are much further along than most schools making this decision so that should allow money to be invested elsewhere.

Leave a comment:

• StateU
    replied

Originally posted by Augieholic View Post
    Soccer has its own field across the street from the KO.

The rumblings I've heard is that FCS scholarship football is definitely part of the discussion. Obviously that increases the financial needs dramatically but from an "increasing exposure/raising brand awareness" perspective it makes the most sense. Augie's facilities, once they get the indoor/outdoor track built, are much further along than most schools making this decision so that should allow money to be invested elsewhere.
    Very interesting! One advantage privates have over public schools is tuition discounting for athletes (and whomever) Discounts plus the institution scholarships that the students receive for just stepping on campus AND the Sanford factor could make FCS scholarship football a possibility. Not to mention private donations will go through the roof.

Leave a comment:

• Augieholic
    replied

Originally posted by zimmy21 View Post
    Does Augie use that new field for Soccer and track? It would be a shame to lose an awesome stadium so shortly after opening it up.
    Soccer has its own field across the street from the KO.

The rumblings I've heard is that FCS scholarship football is definitely part of the discussion. Obviously that increases the financial needs dramatically but from an "increasing exposure/raising brand awareness" perspective it makes the most sense. Augie's facilities, once they get the indoor/outdoor track built, are much further along than most schools making this decision so that should allow money to be invested elsewhere.

Leave a comment:

• Stanger86
    replied
    https://www.argusleader.com/story/sp...eap/511148002/

Augie's current budget is comparable to North Alabama's, which is also around $10 million.

Leave a comment:

• Stanger86
    replied

From 2008:
    NDSU Team Makers, the school's booster group, more than doubled its output during the transition. In 2002, it raised $810,000. Last winter, the group presented the school a check for $1.65 million. This year, its budget is $1.9 million.

http://www.thedickinsonpress.com/new...long-road-ndsu

Side note: Think the Big Sky regrets choosing UNC and not NDSU?

Leave a comment:

• laker
    replied

If Augie goes D1 it is most likely that football will go Pioneer, which is non-scholarship. Kelby Krabbenhoft himself even said that they don't have to do everything all at once. If you don't have to worry about football scholarships you don't have to worry about Title IX. That means that they would most likely join the Summit, which does not have football. The chance that the Missouri Valley would take them for basketball is about as likely as likely as Felicity Jones picking me up for a date in Rogue One.

Leave a comment:

Ad3

Collapse
Working...
X