Re: Augie d1 thread

Another Augie to D1 story.

http://www.therepublic.com/2018/10/1...gustana-div-i/

Leave a comment:

• Clean Liver
    replied

Originally posted by vikingfaithful View Post
    A person with telepathy. You are a rare breed indeed sir.
    Thank you. I'll bet my reputation :wink: on it, tainted as it is.

Leave a comment:

• vikingfaithful
    replied

Originally posted by Clean Liver View Post
    Done deal.
    A person with telepathy. You are a rare breed indeed sir.

Leave a comment:

• zimmy21
    replied

Originally posted by MrAugustana View Post
    Do you know a guy who knows a guy who knows something? Or is this more of a gut instinct kind of thing?
    Xfiles music plays in the background

Leave a comment:

• MrAugustana
    replied

Originally posted by Clean Liver View Post
    Done deal.
    Do you know a guy who knows a guy who knows something? Or is this more of a gut instinct kind of thing?

Leave a comment:

• Clean Liver
    replied

Done deal.

Leave a comment:

• vikingfaithful
    replied

Originally posted by DapperDan View Post
    My last post was supposed to go with this.
    If Augie moved up, I sure would miss all the love Winona fans gives AU. Sioux Falls Sun Conference forever!

Leave a comment:

• DapperDan
    replied

Originally posted by Augiefanman View Post
    :good: exactly, I could name several D3 schools in MN who would qualify in comparison.
    My last post was supposed to go with this.

Leave a comment:

• DapperDan
    replied

Macalester would blow your doors off.

Leave a comment:

• laker
    replied

Actually I agree with you on the fact AU has invested more into athletics nowadays compared to the NCC years. We can say with confidence that the 2016 NC Basketball team could have won the Summit, same for the this years NC baseball team. Yes Augie's academic standings and Sioux Falls makes for a unique recruiting strength. My main concern is football, I don't want it wither in a non scholarship league. Would be happy to move up tp D1 as long as Football had the full 63 scholarships FCS allows.
    Also my biggest sticking point for MSU going D1. I don't want the Pioneer. And I will revolt if we drop football. I think both schools could compete in the other sports. But football is #1 with me.

Leave a comment:

• vikingfaithful
    replied

Originally posted by MrAugustana View Post
    I've seen this argument from you as well as fans of the local D1s who don't want Augie to go D1, claiming the only reason we've seen success is because we aren't competing with those schools anymore. (To be clear, I don't think you specifically are saying it to the extreme that the SDSU and USD fans are, but it does seem to be an underlying implication in your case.)

What I would be curious to see and compare is the difference between how Augie was investing in athletics during that "moribund" stretch compared to how the administration sees the value in athletics now. It's easy to say we weren't competitive back then because we were competing against those schools and consequently wouldn't be competitive now against those schools, but I'm willing to bet the school as a whole probably wasn't as committed to athletics back then as it is now.

I think there are substantial advantages to being one of VERY few private Division I schools in this region that could offer an expensive, high-academic education to potential student athletes compared to a state school. If our administration is actually motivated enough to continue investing in athletics at a high level, I think some of those disparities compared to our old NCC days will be much less problematic.
    Actually I agree with you on the fact AU has invested more into athletics nowadays compared to the NCC years. We can say with confidence that the 2016 NC Basketball team could have won the Summit, same for the this years NC baseball team. Yes Augie's academic standings and Sioux Falls makes for a unique recruiting strength. My main concern is football, I don't want it wither in a non scholarship league. Would be happy to move up tp D1 as long as Football had the full 63 scholarships FCS allows.

Leave a comment:

• MrAugustana
    replied

Personally, I believe if Kelby was not pushing AU to move up to D1, the school would be content at D2 level. This is Augie's golden Era in athletics, after 80+ years of moribund performance in the NCC. With shiny new facilities and finally a budget to compete well, these are good times. My hope is they resist the temptation to go D1. The Summit league is a somewhat shaky league trying to keep its membership up, if NDSU bolted to FBS and joined another league the Summit could topple.
    I've seen this argument from you as well as fans of the local D1s who don't want Augie to go D1, claiming the only reason we've seen success is because we aren't competing with those schools anymore. (To be clear, I don't think you specifically are saying it to the extreme that the SDSU and USD fans are, but it does seem to be an underlying implication in your case.)

What I would be curious to see and compare is the difference between how Augie was investing in athletics during that "moribund" stretch compared to how the administration sees the value in athletics now. It's easy to say we weren't competitive back then because we were competing against those schools and consequently wouldn't be competitive now against those schools, but I'm willing to bet the school as a whole probably wasn't as committed to athletics back then as it is now.

I think there are substantial advantages to being one of VERY few private Division I schools in this region that could offer an expensive, high-academic education to potential student athletes compared to a state school. If our administration is actually motivated enough to continue investing in athletics at a high level, I think some of those disparities compared to our old NCC days will be much less problematic.

Leave a comment:

• vikingfaithful
    replied

Originally posted by doolittledog View Post
    How does an institution with 1,900 students and an endowment of only $81million look like D1?
    Personally, I believe if Kelby was not pushing AU to move up to D1, the school would be content at D2 level. This is Augie's golden Era in athletics, after 80+ years of moribund performance in the NCC. With shiny new facilities and finally a budget to compete well, these are good times. My hope is they resist the temptation to go D1. The Summit league is a somewhat shaky league trying to keep its membership up, if NDSU bolted to FBS and joined another league the Summit could topple.

Leave a comment:

• Stanger86
    replied

Originally posted by doolittledog View Post
    Well "POTENTIAL" is different than "IS" D1

With a $100million investment you could argue Augie has the potential for D1. What happens when that big money booster goes away?

Drake is possibly your closest comparison. Similar metro area, enrollment around 5k, endowment over $200million. Pretty much an afterthought in Des Moines behind the Hawkeyes and Cyclones. Nobody cares about their football team, basketball gets a bit of a following if they are winning. Maybe Augie could aspire to become that. Thing is Drake has historically been a D1 program. They have a history. Augie doesn't have that.

Lindenwood is 8.7k students and a $143million endowment and located in the St. Louis metro. I wouldn't consider that comparable to Augie.

Of course it all comes down to the big money booster. If that guy wants it you follow the money. I just see a repeat of Augie when they were in the NCC as far as athletics. I have my doubts enrollment surges and med schools and the like are added as well.
    I don't really like Drake as a comparison. It's an afterthought in IA because it's Missouri Valley and Iowa/Iowa State are B1G/Big XII. Augie would be in the same conference as its in-state rivals.

Leave a comment:

• Clean Liver
    replied

Originally posted by laker View Post
    This is an Augustana- MSU hybrid announcement:

The date for this year's MSU Hall of Fame induction is Friday, Sept. 28 with the formal induction ceremony taking place at the Hall of Fame Induction Dinner held in the MSU CSU Ballroom.

This year's MSU Athletics Philanthropic Award recipient is Kelby Krabbenhoft.
    Oh...:wink:

Leave a comment:

Ad3

Collapse
Working...
X