• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stanger86
    replied
    Re: Augie d1 thread

Originally posted by zimmy21 View Post
    Just saying Laker it was reported that they are likely to be heading to the MVFC...it is a basketball move and a move the summit desperately needs to save baseball
    Where have you heard MVFC? I know Zimmer believes Pioneer more likely.

https://twitter.com/argusmattz/statu...88757825380352

Leave a comment:

• Stanger86
    replied

Originally posted by laker View Post
    My questions to them are- when will Augie leave the NSIC- 2019-20 or 2020-21? Will Augie be eligible for championships? And most important, what are the plans to deal with an uneven number of teams?
    My interpretation of NSIC bylaws is 2020-21

Leave a comment:

• zimmy21
    replied

They will be in the Summit. This is a basketball move.

The MVFC doesn't want them. Besides, they would have to increase their scholarships to 63, which can't be divided for more than 85 players. They would either drop football- which seems unlikely with that nice stadium- or more likely go Pioneer, which is non-scholarship.

www.pioneer-football.org/
    Just saying Laker it was reported that they are likely to be heading to the MVFC...it is a basketball move and a move the summit desperately needs to save baseball

Leave a comment:

• Purple Mav Man
    replied

Originally posted by MrAugustana View Post
    For the NSIC's sake, I sure hope they've been having some of those preliminary conversations with potential replacement schools much sooner than today, seeing as this is a move that has been rumored and perceived as being highly likely for nearly a year now.
    I would hope so as well. I'd hope that ANY conference would have a backup plan for schools moving.

Maybe not so much trying to gauge interest (as that step should be long complete) but trying to gauge who not only is interested but who has the means and ability to jump in now that it's real.

Leave a comment:

• laker
    replied

Originally posted by zimmy21 View Post
    They have to find a conference first to go D1. Most likely Summit league, with ESPN 99.1 reporting they are likely headed to the MVFCbfor football....they would be eligible for D2 titles until they begin the transition and then they do not become eligible for 4 years at the D1 level.

http://espn991.com/augustana-univers...to-division-i/
    They will be in the Summit. This is a basketball move.

The MVFC doesn't want them. Besides, they would have to increase their scholarships to 63, which can't be divided for more than 85 players. They would either drop football- which seems unlikely with that nice stadium- or more likely go Pioneer, which is non-scholarship.

www.pioneer-football.org/

Leave a comment:

• zimmy21
    replied

Can't really force UMC out. They haven't committed any crimes- or broken any conference rules- no scandals there that I am aware of. If I were them I wouldn't want to join the North Star- and the UMAC people who I have talked to aren't interested. Not a lot of candidates close by.
    I would imagine that the conference has every right to vote teams out if it is the will of the other schools...not saying they will, but they should.

For the NSIC's sake, I sure hope they've been having some of those preliminary conversations with potential replacement schools much sooner than today, seeing as this is a move that has been rumored and perceived as being highly likely for nearly a year now.
    To hell with going back to 16. We need to shrink.
    If you must grow I'd see if Morningside would want to come back up

Leave a comment:

• zimmy21
    replied

My questions to them are- when will Augie leave the NSIC- 2019-20 or 2020-21? Will Augie be eligible for championships? And most important, what are the plans to deal with an uneven number of teams?
    They have to find a conference first to go D1. Most likely Summit league, with ESPN 99.1 reporting they are likely headed to the MVFCbfor football....they would be eligible for D2 titles until they begin the transition and then they do not become eligible for 4 years at the D1 level.

http://espn991.com/augustana-univers...to-division-i/

Leave a comment:

• laker
    replied

I would hope they would be proactive. As you said, this hasn't been a secret.

Leave a comment:

• MrAugustana
    replied

Originally posted by Purple Mav Man View Post
    Trying to gauge interest from replacement schools?

Leave a comment:

• Purple Mav Man
    replied

Originally posted by NSU4LIFE View Post
    Not saying right or wrong, but does it seem odd that the NSIC social media would be so quick to get this news out? If I am them, why would i share it at all? Just looking for others thoughts, just struck me as odd.
    Trying to gauge interest from replacement schools?

Leave a comment:

• Purple Mav Man
    replied

No matter who replaces Augustana, the conference will take a hit as the replacement school likely won't be anywhere near as competitive as Augie in all sports. Best of luck to them. Being the 3rd D1 in South Dakota may not be an ideal situation but it's what they wanted. They could likely be competitive in basketball fairly soon but will get killed in football.

Sad to see a quality opponent leave. Even more sad at the possible replacement options. Hopefully they find success and never look back.

Leave a comment:

• laker
    replied

Originally posted by NSU4LIFE View Post
    Not saying right or wrong, but does it seem odd that the NSIC social media would be so quick to get this news out? If I am them, why would i share it at all? Just looking for others thoughts, just struck me as odd.

Leave a comment:

• NSU4LIFE
    replied

Leave a comment:

• laker
    replied

Originally posted by doolittledog View Post
    Iowa D3 or NAIA?

Dubuque is D3, 2000 students. Nice facilities. $150million endowment. Though I think they like their D3 conference. Have been there since the 1920's.
    Luther is D3, 2500 students. Nice facilities. $165million endowment. Though I think they like their D3 conference. Have been there since the 1920's.

Morningside return to D2 from NAIA? Bring back the Sioux City market?
    Grand View go D2 from NAIA? Bring you the Des Moines market?
    Dubuque is in the D3 American River Conference.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Americ...ers_Conference

Morningside is in the NAIA Great Plains. I had a lengthy talk with a Morningside football coach while MSU was holding their Friday night practice there before they played at Wayne State. He said that they had no interest in joining the NSIC and gave several reasons- the most important was that they liked winning!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_...tic_Conference

Leave a comment:

• NSU4LIFE
    replied

Here come the Dakota State Trojans... :)

Leave a comment:

Ad3

Collapse
Working...
X