Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Augie d1 thread

Collapse

Support The Site!

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Re: Augie d1 thread

    Augustana’s athletic budget is $10.3 million. SDSU’s is over $20 million. That’s daunting, but then there’s this: When SDSU announced plans to move to Division I in 2004, the Jackrabbits’ athletic budget was just over $4 million.

    https://www.argusleader.com/story/sp...eap/511148002/


    Augie's current budget is comparable to North Alabama's, which is also around $10 million.

    Comment


    • Re: Augie d1 thread

      Originally posted by zimmy21 View Post
      Does Augie use that new field for Soccer and track? It would be a shame to lose an awesome stadium so shortly after opening it up.
      Soccer has its own field across the street from the KO.

      The rumblings I've heard is that FCS scholarship football is definitely part of the discussion. Obviously that increases the financial needs dramatically but from an "increasing exposure/raising brand awareness" perspective it makes the most sense. Augie's facilities, once they get the indoor/outdoor track built, are much further along than most schools making this decision so that should allow money to be invested elsewhere.

      Comment


      • Re: Augie d1 thread

        Originally posted by Augieholic View Post
        Soccer has its own field across the street from the KO.

        The rumblings I've heard is that FCS scholarship football is definitely part of the discussion. Obviously that increases the financial needs dramatically but from an "increasing exposure/raising brand awareness" perspective it makes the most sense. Augie's facilities, once they get the indoor/outdoor track built, are much further along than most schools making this decision so that should allow money to be invested elsewhere.
        Very interesting! One advantage privates have over public schools is tuition discounting for athletes (and whomever) Discounts plus the institution scholarships that the students receive for just stepping on campus AND the Sanford factor could make FCS scholarship football a possibility. Not to mention private donations will go through the roof.

        Comment


        • Re: Augie d1 thread

          Originally posted by Augieholic View Post
          Augie's facilities, once they get the indoor/outdoor track built, are much further along than most schools making this decision so that should allow money to be invested elsewhere.
          On the whole, this is a very good point.

          One thing to note is that KO Stadium is on the smaller side. Not unheard of for FCS football (heck, it dwarfs stadiums out east) but all other MVFC stadiums seat 10,000 minimum. I'd think replacing the berms with seating would make up most of that difference if they wanted to expand, though I'm not certain. That or expanding seating on the visitor's side would be your two likeliest options there.

          Comment


          • Re: Augie d1 thread

            Originally posted by Stanger86 View Post
            On the whole, this is a very good point.

            One thing to note is that KO Stadium is on the smaller side. Not unheard of for FCS football (heck, it dwarfs stadiums out east) but all other MVFC stadiums seat 10,000 minimum. I'd think replacing the berms with seating would make up most of that difference if they wanted to expand, though I'm not certain. That or expanding seating on the visitor's side would be your two likeliest options there.
            The average FCS game draws 8200 fans and I would guess that Augie has a much smaller fanbase than the Dakota public schools. Expanding the visitor seating would be good start.

            Comment


            • Re: Augie d1 thread

              Originally posted by Stanger86 View Post
              On the whole, this is a very good point.

              One thing to note is that KO Stadium is on the smaller side. Not unheard of for FCS football (heck, it dwarfs stadiums out east) but all other MVFC stadiums seat 10,000 minimum. I'd think replacing the berms with seating would make up most of that difference if they wanted to expand, though I'm not certain. That or expanding seating on the visitor's side would be your two likeliest options there.
              They would almost have to make a promise to the MVFC that if allowed in they would meet these differences criteria, including added seating at the stadium. Just for when the old NCC schools, especially the Bison you probably need to be close to 12,000 or so

              Comment


              • Re: Augie d1 thread

                Originally posted by NSU4LIFE View Post
                They would almost have to make a promise to the MVFC that if allowed in they would meet these differences criteria, including added seating at the stadium. Just for when the old NCC schools, especially the Bison you probably need to be close to 12,000 or so
                Easily 12k when the Bison are in SF. But they can stand ...

                Comment


                • Re: Augie d1 thread

                  Originally posted by StateU View Post
                  Easily 12k when the Bison are in SF. But they can stand ...
                  Agreed

                  Comment


                  • Re: Augie d1 thread

                    Originally posted by Purple Mav Man View Post
                    Looks like the league spends all their money on travel expenses instead of scholarships.
                    Yep, that always burns me up. How schools can spend $$$ on coaches traveling all over running up tabs to recruit players, but yet have no athletic scholarship $$$ for the players.

                    Comment


                    • Re: Augie d1 thread

                      Not sure where Augie can land their football program. There definitely needs to be another FCS Conference added. The Southland, MVFC, & Big Sky are all bloated. I am sure that the WAC could bring back football, but would need at 6 schools for a conference. They would have an automatic bid into playoffs. Of course, the WAC would rather implode than have some forward thinkers revive the conference.

                      Comment


                      • Re: Augie d1 thread

                        Have not looked at conferences or scenarios as it's annoying waiting for this end of the year decision. Myself, I'm solidly in the stay NSIC as a D2 school. Augie does well as a D2 school and that makes sports fun. Raising another 10 million would be a daunting task for Augustana. We are pretty cordial on D2.Com, I'm sure it's not that way on local D1 chat sites.

                        Comment


                        • Re: Augie d1 thread

                          Originally posted by Stanger86 View Post
                          Augustana’s athletic budget is $10.3 million. SDSU’s is over $20 million. That’s daunting, but then there’s this: When SDSU announced plans to move to Division I in 2004, the Jackrabbits’ athletic budget was just over $4 million.

                          https://www.argusleader.com/story/sp...eap/511148002/


                          Augie's current budget is comparable to North Alabama's, which is also around $10 million.

                          What SDSU's budget was 14 years ago is irrelevant.

                          What UNA's budget is this year is more relevant, but still not incredibly relevant. Southern schools typically have smaller budgets than northern schools. Geography is important. What's most relevant is what SDSU, USD, NDSU, and UND are spending right now.

                          Comment


                          • Re: Augie d1 thread

                            Regardless of what happens, it is impressive what Augustana has done since joining the conference. They were arguably an afterthought for some folks in terms of the four teams that came over when the NCC folded. But I don't think it's a stretch to say that today it may be the strongest of those four programs top to bottom.

                            Comment


                            • Re: Augie d1 thread

                              Originally posted by Techster88 View Post
                              Yep, that always burns me up. How schools can spend $$$ on coaches traveling all over running up tabs to recruit players, but yet have no athletic scholarship $$$ for the players.
                              Well, as an example, it would take $350,000 to endow a full scholarship, not multiple, just one...you really think that much is being spent on recruiting a year? Ha

                              Comment


                              • Re: Augie d1 thread

                                Originally posted by Stanger86 View Post
                                Augustana’s athletic budget is $10.3 million. SDSU’s is over $20 million. That’s daunting, but then there’s this: When SDSU announced plans to move to Division I in 2004, the Jackrabbits’ athletic budget was just over $4 million.

                                https://www.argusleader.com/story/sp...eap/511148002/


                                Augie's current budget is comparable to North Alabama's, which is also around $10 million.
                                People dont seem to think your post was very useful, but I do. Augie is ahead of the curve for transitioning, the only difference is going to be for UND, NDSU, SDSU, and USD they needed commitment from alumni and business donors. For Augie and having that small of an enrollment, it is going to depend more so on the city of Sioux Falls and do they want a D1 program in town or do people not care enough that the reward of that will pay any dividends.

                                Comment

                                Ad3

                                Collapse
                                Working...
                                X