Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Augie d1 thread

Collapse

Support The Site!

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Re: Augie d1 thread

    Originally posted by Thunder View Post
    The MVFC would have to be part of their “research” into moving up to D1 wouldn’t it? I would think if they are not able to get in they would really have to reconsider moving up.
    I'm sure anything and everything is being looked at. I'm sure it comes down to a funding thing for football, or keep football, cut a bunch of other sports and just go all in on the main revenue sports. Certainly would be a way to add seating if needed if they got into the MVFC but I wouldn't worry about that, there are schools in the conference, like where the Bison are playing this week, that are pretty scarce. While it isnt likely, perhaps the Pioneer league for football and the MVC would have interest. It would give the conference another big city to fit in nicely, a school with good basketball history and most of Augies other sports teams would already compete with what the Valley has. Would they want Augie? I dont know, but they would be a similar addition like Drake.

    Comment


    • Re: Augie d1 thread

      Originally posted by NSU4LIFE View Post
      I'm sure anything and everything is being looked at. I'm sure it comes down to a funding thing for football, or keep football, cut a bunch of other sports and just go all in on the main revenue sports. Certainly would be a way to add seating if needed if they got into the MVFC but I wouldn't worry about that, there are schools in the conference, like where the Bison are playing this week, that are pretty scarce. While it isnt likely, perhaps the Pioneer league for football and the MVC would have interest. It would give the conference another big city to fit in nicely, a school with good basketball history and most of Augies other sports teams would already compete with what the Valley has. Would they want Augie? I dont know, but they would be a similar addition like Drake.
      My thoughts exactly. Another thought I had was what if again more what ifs...but maybe the Dakota schools UNI, Northern Colorado, and the Montana's would want to split and form a conference themselves maybe add a Drake or maybe coax another school to make the jump with Augie or kickstart UNO again.

      Comment


      • Re: Augie d1 thread

        Originally posted by zimmy21 View Post
        Would the MVFC not invite Augie? If I remember right the league is inviting North Dakota in after this year?

        That would put the league at 12 teams with another team near NDSU to keep them happy for travel expenses

        I'm sure the scholarships thing is going to be brought up but I would imagine Augie if serious about D1 would find the money to balance the Title IX ratio
        This would be incredibly unlikely to me. Augie will have to increase its budget substantially just to compete in the Summit with football going Pioneer League. The idea of them raising enough money to go to the MVFC right out of the gate seems hard to believe. But, like most things in the world, there are smarter people than me involved in those conversations and decisions.

        Comment


        • Re: Augie d1 thread

          Originally posted by zimmy21 View Post
          Would the MVFC not invite Augie? If I remember right the league is inviting North Dakota in after this year?

          That would put the league at 12 teams with another team near NDSU to keep them happy for travel expenses

          I'm sure the scholarships thing is going to be brought up but I would imagine Augie if serious about D1 would find the money to balance the Title IX ratio
          NDSU doesnt care nor want Augie for the most part. They have sights on much bigger and better things and if the right opportunity comes up the will leave for an FBS conference.

          Comment


          • Re: Augie d1 thread

            The press release didn't shut down the idea of a DI Augie, which tells me they want build a lot of excitement for the upcoming announcement. But I can't see Augie bringing football along for the DI ride.

            Comment


            • Re: Augie d1 thread

              Originally posted by StateU View Post
              The press release didn't shut down the idea of a DI Augie, which tells me they want build a lot of excitement for the upcoming announcement. But I can't see Augie bringing football along for the DI ride.
              Does Augie use that new field for Soccer and track? It would be a shame to lose an awesome stadium so shortly after opening it up.

              Comment


              • Re: Augie d1 thread

                Originally posted by zimmy21 View Post
                Does Augie use that new field for Soccer and track?
                Nope

                Comment


                • Re: Augie d1 thread

                  Originally posted by StateU View Post
                  The press release didn't shut down the idea of a DI Augie, which tells me they want build a lot of excitement for the upcoming announcement. But I can't see Augie bringing football along for the DI ride.
                  Agree. Trying to compete at the FCS level without a full complement of scholarships would be very difficult. It is possible of course if the money would be available, but I have no idea if it would be. Also not sure if the current stadium there, although very nice for Division II, would be suitable for Division I. Without expansion and lights anyway.

                  Comment


                  • Re: Augie d1 thread

                    A lot of people have compared Augie's athletic budget today to NDSU's budget today, but how does it compare to the athletic budgets of all four Dakota schools when they first announced they were moving up to Division I?

                    Comment


                    • Re: Augie d1 thread

                      Originally posted by zimmy21 View Post
                      Does Augie use that new field for Soccer and track? It would be a shame to lose an awesome stadium so shortly after opening it up.
                      They are building a very innovative indoor/outdoor track facility soon for track.

                      Comment


                      • Re: Augie d1 thread

                        Originally posted by MStateMaverick View Post
                        Agree. Trying to compete at the FCS level without a full complement of scholarships would be very difficult. It is possible of course if the money would be available, but I have no idea if it would be. Also not sure if the current stadium there, although very nice for Division II, would be suitable for Division I. Without expansion and lights anyway.
                        USD is playongnits first night game on like over a decade and NDSU doesnt do them any more either. Night games shouldn't really be a problem.

                        Comment


                        • Re: Augie d1 thread

                          Originally posted by Stanger86 View Post
                          A lot of people have compared Augie's athletic budget today to NDSU's budget today, but how does it compare to the athletic budgets of all four Dakota schools when they first announced they were moving up to Division I?
                          Bingo!! Of course you can't compare budgets from right now.

                          Comment


                          • Re: Augie d1 thread

                            Originally posted by Stanger86 View Post
                            A lot of people have compared Augie's athletic budget today to NDSU's budget today, but how does it compare to the athletic budgets of all four Dakota schools when they first announced they were moving up to Division I?
                            Why is that relevant?

                            Comment


                            • Re: Augie d1 thread

                              If Augie goes D1 it is most likely that football will go Pioneer, which is non-scholarship. Kelby Krabbenhoft himself even said that they don't have to do everything all at once. If you don't have to worry about football scholarships you don't have to worry about Title IX. That means that they would most likely join the Summit, which does not have football. The chance that the Missouri Valley would take them for basketball is about as likely as likely as Felicity Jones picking me up for a date in Rogue One.

                              Comment


                              • Re: Augie d1 thread

                                From 2008:
                                NDSU Team Makers, the school's booster group, more than doubled its output during the transition. In 2002, it raised $810,000. Last winter, the group presented the school a check for $1.65 million. This year, its budget is $1.9 million.

                                http://www.thedickinsonpress.com/new...long-road-ndsu

                                Side note: Think the Big Sky regrets choosing UNC and not NDSU?

                                Comment

                                Ad3

                                Collapse
                                Working...
                                X