Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Augie d1 thread

Collapse

Support The Site!

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Re: Augie d1 thread

    Originally posted by Purple Mav Man View Post
    I'd argue that Augustana's commitment to athletics over the recent years is the main difference. They are also the only private institution that made the switch from NCC to NSIC, that alone can help clear some potential hurdles.

    MSU was never any good in football in the NCC. They had two separate small windows of success but nothing close to what they are now. Same with basketball, although they did have slightly more success there especially towards the end of the conference's run.

    As an entire program, MSU has seen MUCH more success since moving to the NSIC than they had in the NCC.
    Do you credit the success of MSU simply because those other teams moved up to D1 or something else?

    Comment


    • Re: Augie d1 thread

      Originally posted by Techster88 View Post
      It was said that Augustana football would most likely go to the Pioneer League if they join the Summit. BTW, they can compete fairly quickly in that league if that’s where they land.
      Not if the roster jumps ship due to losing scholarship money. That will happen IMO. They will be free to sign with scholarship schools at any level without sitting out a year.

      Comment


      • Re: Augie d1 thread

        Originally posted by Twincitiesmav View Post
        Do you credit the success of MSU simply because those other teams moved up to D1 or something else?
        IMO a combination of both. AD Kevin Buisman has done a good job of hiring coaches who can recruit and know how to win. Much more money has been put into facilities and scholarships. The Taylor Center and Myers Field House would be two great examples. Success tends to breed success- winning seasons are almost taken for granted in men's basketball and football. If you don't have to pound heads with UND-NDSU-USD-SDSU-UNC-UNO every year it really helps your win total.

        Comment


        • Re: Augie d1 thread

          There is a good deal of $'s at the D3 level for athletes. It just isn't labeled as such. Plenty of creative financing and 'special committees' to help the process. Sorry to break off track. Good discussion.

          Comment


          • Re: Augie d1 thread

            Originally posted by cidpeacock View Post
            There is a good deal of $'s at the D3 level for athletes. It just isn't labeled as such. Plenty of creative financing and 'special committees' to help the process. Sorry to break off track. Good discussion.
            Why did UIU decide to move to D2?

            Comment


            • Re: Augie d1 thread

              Originally posted by cidpeacock View Post
              There is a good deal of $'s at the D3 level for athletes. It just isn't labeled as such. Plenty of creative financing and 'special committees' to help the process. Sorry to break off track. Good discussion.
              If you talking D3 private universities, then yes they can come up with all kinds of privately funded scholarships. Grants are not as readily available although they are available in hardship and special type cases. Public universities go by much stricter rules and athletes don’t have to play if they receive such grants. They can quit and keep the grant every year as long as the guidelines are met. Much harder to find any type of scholarship $$$ for public universities athletes.

              Comment


              • Re: Augie d1 thread

                Originally posted by cidpeacock View Post
                There is a good deal of $'s at the D3 level for athletes. It just isn't labeled as such. Plenty of creative financing and 'special committees' to help the process. Sorry to break off track. Good discussion.

                That is funny, I coached at a D3 school for a little over three years and while talking to other coaches in the conference I believe we would all vote toward this being a false statement. It certainly may be the case at some colleges, but most definitely not a blanket statement.

                Comment


                • Re: Augie d1 thread

                  Mary Hardin Baylor is a really good example how private D3 schools can have non athletic scholarships for football. Private funding paying for education and putting a talented team on the field.

                  Public Universities trying to compete in athletics try to make the jump to D2 ASAP

                  Comment


                  • Re: Augie d1 thread

                    Originally posted by NSU4LIFE View Post
                    That is funny, I coached at a D3 school for a little over three years and while talking to other coaches in the conference I believe we would all vote toward this being a false statement. It certainly may be the case at some colleges, but most definitely not a blanket statement.
                    I don't think it is a blanket statement, much like not all D2 schools support athletics the same. My experience was with private D3 schools so that may be a variable. My youngest was a NAIA/D3 and light D2 player. Each of the 4 D3 schools were quite creative and one of the finalists ended up matching the NAIA school which was a long way from where they started. So not blanket but it may be out there.

                    Comment


                    • Re: Augie d1 thread

                      Originally posted by Twincitiesmav View Post
                      Do you credit the success of MSU simply because those other teams moved up to D1 or something else?
                      Originally posted by laker View Post
                      IMO a combination of both. AD Kevin Buisman has done a good job of hiring coaches who can recruit and know how to win. Much more money has been put into facilities and scholarships. The Taylor Center and Myers Field House would be two great examples. Success tends to breed success- winning seasons are almost taken for granted in men's basketball and football. If you don't have to pound heads with UND-NDSU-USD-SDSU-UNC-UNO every year it really helps your win total.
                      Laker gave the correct answer, in all facets.

                      There has certainly been a commitment to athletics and many more dollars generated, but not having to play against powerhouse programs in each sport has contributed.

                      Successful programs and above average facilities have laid the foundation for sustained winning over the recent years. Kevin Buisman was and has been a great hire as AD and President Dick Rush (93-01) not only had a sweet name but also was a key factor in getting the dollars for athletics and the ball rolling. He (and a relative of mine) cultivated relationships with the private sector to build the first privately funded/financed buildings on MnSCU property/campuses. That led to the Taylor Center, which has its warts but is still a very nice D2 basketball facility after 18 years.

                      Comment


                      • Re: Augie d1 thread

                        Originally posted by laker View Post
                        Never thought of Augie as a football school. MSU had a pretty good record against them in men's BB, but not as much with women's BB. Augie WBB seemed to be able to upset the UND-NDSU's once in a while- no one seemed to win titles besides them- and I mean national titles, not just NCC. I thought that they had good cross country and track. Without checking standings it would be hard to know.
                        You probably be surprised to know that MSU only leads AU 25-23 in football games, although the Mav's have won 8 straight games. I'm thinking Kato dropped football and left the NCC at one point. Augie traditionally has had a strong softball program including a National Championship while in the NCC.

                        Comment


                        • Re: Augie d1 thread

                          Originally posted by vikingfaithful View Post
                          You probably be surprised to know that MSU only leads AU 25-23 in football games, although the Mav's have won 8 straight games. I'm thinking Kato dropped football and left the NCC at one point. Augie traditionally has had a strong softball program including a National Championship while in the NCC.
                          1968- MSU joins NCC in sports other than football. Joins for football in 1972.

                          1976- MSU leaves NCC due to dropping football. That hideous episode is worthy of an entire thread by itself.

                          1981- MSU & SCSU join NCC. MSU joins for football in 1983.

                          Great reading about the NCC on their old site!

                          http://northcentral.prestosports.com...08football.pdf

                          Comment


                          • Re: Augie d1 thread

                            Here is a list of NCC football titles- alone, shared and total. NDSU and UND are far away the leaders.

                            North Dakota State 17 9 26
                            Champs: 1925; 32; 35; 64; 65; 66; 67; 68 69;
                            70; 72; 73; 74; 76; 77; 81; 82; 83; 84; 85; 86;
                            88; 90; 91; 92; 94
                            North Dakota 14 10 24
                            Champs: 1928; 29; 30; 31; 34; 36; 37; 39; 58;
                            64; 66; 71; 72; 74; 75; 79; 93; 94; 95; 99;
                            2001; 02; 05; 06
                            South Dakota State 9 5 14
                            Champs: 1922; 24; 26; 33; 39; 49; 50; 53; 54;
                            55; 57; 61; 62; 63
                            Northern Iowa 6 6 12
                            Champs: 1940;41; 42; 46; 47; 48; 49; 52; 60;
                            61; 62; 64
                            South Dakota 3 7 10
                            Champs: 1927; 38; 39; 47; 51; 72; 73; 74; 78;
                            2005
                            Nebraska-Omaha 4 5 9
                            Champs: 1983; 84; 96; 98, 2000, 04, 05; 06;
                            07
                            Northern Colorado 3 2 5
                            Champs: 1980; 97; 98; 99, 2002
                            Morningside 2 1 3
                            Champs: 1923; 54; 56
                            Creighton 0 2 2
                            Champs: 1925; 27
                            Augustana 1 0 1
                            Champs: 1959
                            Minnesota Duluth 0 1 1
                            Champs: 2005
                            Minnesota State, Mankato 1 1 2
                            Champs: 1987, 93
                            St. Cloud State 1 0 1
                            Champs: 1989

                            Comment


                            • Re: Augie d1 thread

                              New to board....but reading all this Augie to D1.....there is a moratorium on re-classifying (for anyone) to D1 from lower divisions.... have not heard any agenda to lift the moratorium so schools can be allowed to reclassify to D1.

                              Comment


                              • Re: Augie d1 thread

                                Originally posted by WarriorDad View Post
                                New to board....but reading all this Augie to D1.....there is a moratorium on re-classifying (for anyone) to D1 from lower divisions.... have not heard any agenda to lift the moratorium so schools can be allowed to reclassify to D1.
                                Welcome WarriorDad! Always good to have new people on the board.

                                Comment

                                Ad3

                                Collapse
                                Working...
                                X