X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Twincitiesmav
    replied
    Re: Augie d1 thread

Congrats to Augustana Softball on their national championship! Way to represent the NSIC!!

Leave a comment:

• Twincitiesmav
    replied

OT- auggie softball is just one out away from winning a natty...

Leave a comment:

• laker
    replied

Originally posted by zimmy21 View Post
    Is there a sense of a need to impress around the fandom? Like the stands need to be filled at all times in case summit reps are around?
    They need to order more hatpins. I went to the bookstore before the game and tried to buy one for my collection, but they were all out. Both of the women who worked there felt bad and even looked in the back for one.

Pretty good crowd last night. Big comeback for Augie to win 12-10 after trailing 6-0.

Leave a comment:

• zimmy21
    replied

Originally posted by Augieholic View Post
    Nothing new. I believe the plan remains 19-20 and 20-21 in the NSIC and D1/Summit in 21-22.
    Is there a sense of a need to impress around the fandom? Like the stands need to be filled at all times in case summit reps are around?

Leave a comment:

• Augieholic
    replied

Any Augie peeps out there hearing anything news wise on a conference offer?
    Nothing new. I believe the plan remains 19-20 and 20-21 in the NSIC and D1/Summit in 21-22.

Leave a comment:

• laker
    replied

I was at the regional baseball games today. Nothing new from anyone I talked to.

Leave a comment:

• zimmy21
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Techster88
    replied

Originally posted by Stanger86 View Post
    Equity in Athletics site referenced in another thread. Duke is at about 6,500 undergrad.
    My thoughts are total enrollment of 10k which Duke easily has on top of having sound financial backing.

My 10k student assessment was so there would be enough student fees to soften the cost of D1. Just a thought. As of now, there are no prerequisites. Just get an invitation from a D1 conference and bring your cash.

Leave a comment:

• Stanger86
    replied

Originally posted by Techster88 View Post
    By the way, Duke has an enrollment of over 16k, not sure where you got your statistics.
    Equity in Athletics site referenced in another thread. Duke is at about 6,500 undergrad.

Leave a comment:

• Techster88
    replied

Duke University to D2.....
    By the way, Duke has an enrollment of over 16k, not sure where you got your statistics.

Leave a comment:

• Techster88
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Stanger86
    replied

Originally posted by Techster88 View Post
    Not so much. I believe that there should at least be a student body minimum for a school to advance to D1. If you cannot maintain that number whatever it is then your school should automatically be dropped back to D2. I would think a student body population of 10K would be a minimum. This allows the school to at least pay through the use of fees on tuition a good part on the sports.

Leave a comment:

• Techster88
    replied

Just a whole lot of naysayers and BS'ing going on. Good for Augie trying to make the move. We can sit around and go in circles about how you think they'll fail but the point is they've decided to make a go of it. Best if luck to them. We should be hoping they succeed and show a path to the top level
    Not so much. I believe that there should at least be a student body minimum for a school to advance to D1. If you cannot maintain that number whatever it is then your school should automatically be dropped back to D2. I would think a student body population of 10K would be a minimum. This allows the school to at least pay through the use of fees on tuition a good part on the sports.

But, more so to your point of saying we are naysayers. Example, Just because you can buy a Mercedes car and make the payments doesn't allow any room for repairs and believe me those D1 bills are going to show up.

I do agree that no one should be held back if they have a solid plan and are not just another eyesore D1 school. University of Incarnate Word, Houston Baptist, and Nichols State are a fine example of D2 schools posing as D1.

Leave a comment:

• MaroonJackRabbits
    replied

Originally posted by vikingfaithful View Post
    If you look back in NCC history the Rabbits were no juggernaut in athletics especially in FB, while NDSU, UNC and UND were winning NC, SDSU was generally a 6-5 to 7-4 team and the Basketball teams last NC was in 1961 I believe. States last athletic budget in D2 was 3 million bucks, it was also considered a leap of faith for SDSU to go D1 as Brookings population then was around 15K. Football aside, which will unfortunately most likely be non scholarship Augie will find their way. The longer you post the more aggressively a hate Augie tone shows, early on you stated you just wanted more info. The Summit league is not on solid ground with 9 members and the best program Bison looking around for maybe a better league. Wouldn't you be thrilled for another member to the league to add stability, and after all you think AU will be States patsy? Or maybe the Vikings won't be.
    That is a great point sir and I didn't think about it like that. You are correct that more teams in the Summit League would prove to be good for the conference and the schools inside of it.

Leave a comment:

• MaroonJackRabbits
    replied

Originally posted by Augieholic View Post
    Continuing to use the "NCC days" as the reason Augie won't succeed at the D1 level is sort of like believing the earth is flat.
    Not at all. It's understanding the sporting landscape and that all of Augie's success is based on the departure of the larger schools in their state. It's not a coincidence that top schools, regardless of state or conference, have stayed on top throughout history.

Leave a comment:

Ad3

Collapse
Working...
X