Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cougars at Mavericks

I realize that it is only Monday but we may as well get this thread started early. This series has only been going on since 2012 but it tends to result in high stakes and a real battle on the field, made even more so because of the lateness in the schedule.

2012- @ MSU 27- USF 13 Adam Thielen catches a TD pass to put it away
    2013- MSU 52- @USF 17 John Wolf's famous jump to get on ESPN
    2014- @MSU 27- USF 14 Coo lead 14-10 in the 4th quarter
    2015- MSU 44- @USF 3 Mavs play nearly perfect first half to pull away
    2016- USF 24- @MSU 14 Coo win the NSIC with a perfect regular season
    2017- MSU 27 @USF 23 Zylstra catches two TD passes late as Mavs pull out a miracle win

USF has for the most part played better at the Blake than at home. Gabriel Watson, running back, has 210 carries for 1,702 yards with 23 touchdowns. The Mav defense has been strong against the run so this match up is very important. I think that like most games between two good teams that turnovers and special teams will make the difference.

IMO there seems to be a lot of respect between the two programs. The Mavs want to stay unbeaten and keep their #1 ranking. The Coo want to stay in consideration for the Mineral Water Bowl. I expect a tough hard hitting game on Saturday and hope that people turn out to watch it.

Re: Cougars at Mavericks

Gotta give to the mavs. This is a learning season, for a young team. 3 losses within 4 pts against teams that imo they are better than. The season that got away for the coo. 31-21 mavs and coo finish 7-4 this yr. I do predict a 10-1 record next yr though.

Comment

Originally posted by tman28 View Post
      Gotta give to the mavs. This is a learning season, for a young team. 3 losses within 4 pts against teams that imo they are better than. The season that got away for the coo. 31-21 mavs and coo finish 7-4 this yr. I do predict a 10-1 record next yr though.
      I try not to think about how close this team is to being 9-0 right now because it kind of makes me sick when I do. The worst part is, all three losses weren't because the other team outplayed us, but because of mistakes on our end. Ugh.

If we go down this Saturday at least let it be because Mankato beat us and not because we beat ourselves again.

Comment

Looking forward to my first visit to Blakeslee Stadium. USF is playing better than their start to the season but is it enough against the number 1 team in the nation? My heart says USF wins but my head knows this game highly favors MSU.

Comment

Massey has this as a 35-21 game....Mankato.

Got the word today that my oldest son (11) has a hoops tourney their coach got them in last minute....so I will be there with him, and not in Mankato. This will be the 1st time I've missed this key yearly matchup. Argh.

While USF has 3 losses, I think most would view them as the most dangerous opponent outside of Mankato and Duluth in the conference. Winona and BSU are in that same conversation, but USF has been a bit more explosive....but all three have beaten Mankato over the last few years. USF was up 10 with about 5 mins left a year ago and let the Mavs off the hook....and that was a game without Max Mickey or Nate Gunn. Something tells me Gunn will be pretty fired up to play against USF....in what's also a showdown between the top 2 rushers in the conference.

Comment

Originally posted by Matt Witwicki View Post
            Massey has this as a 35-21 game....Mankato.

Got the word today that my oldest son (11) has a hoops tourney their coach got them in last minute....so I will be there with him, and not in Mankato. This will be the 1st time I've missed this key yearly matchup. Argh.
            Sad times are these when Witt isn't at the USF-MSU game. I will miss visiting with you. I learn something every time that I do.

Comment

Would love to be at the Blake for this one (even with the season's current outcome) to chat it up with Laker and additional MSU fans in a sea of purple both Cougar and Maverick. These two fanbases have gotten along really well and I've greatly enjoyed tailgating with MSU folks and bantering here on the board. Throw in the Blake, the best the best NSIC stadium to watch a game, which holds a special place in my heart after playing a memorable state quarterfinal game there in HS, I'm equally bummed. Alas I'll be camping in the Tennessee woods listening to Tom's play by play instead.

We only have the one win in the series since 2012 but the games have mostly been hard fought battles with a lot at stake. This year is slightly different as MSU would love to win-out and basically secure that first-round bye, while USF isn't gonna see the postseason. But a chance to trip up the #1 Mavs, avenge last year's debacle, and heck, that mythical South Division title :wink: give USF plenty to get fired up for.

Smithers said it best, heart longs for my Coo but head says MSU hands down. MSU has the dudes to slow Watson and company. This aint gonna be like watching Moorhead attempt to tackle him. Will that open things up for Walters and the aerial attack? He's made some better decisions as of late. Can USF's young D slow down Gunn? Will special teams miscues haunt the Cougars like 2017, or can they exorcise some of those demons?

At the very least, I hope the Coo makes Kato earn that bye and conference title and like Tundra said don't beat themselves. Seen way too much of that this season. Thus, pressures all on MSU, will that work in the Coo's favor? Guess we'll see, nothing to lose for them now. Let it ride.
              4x 'Crackerjack' NAIA National Champions - 1996, 2006, 2008, 2009
              2016 NSIC Champions
              🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑

Comment

Originally posted by Otis Day View Post
                Would love to be at the Blake for this one (even with the season's current outcome) to chat it up with Laker and additional MSU fans in a sea of purple both Cougar and Maverick. These two fanbases have gotten along really well and I've greatly enjoyed tailgating with MSU folks and bantering here on the board. Throw in the Blake, the best the best NSIC stadium to watch
                Same to you, my friend! Anchor Down!

Comment

Originally posted by laker View Post
                  2012- @ MSU 27- USF 13 Adam Thielen catches a TD pass to put it away
                  Been shamelessly using this when watching or talking the Vikes with strangers with Thielen's rise to NFL stardom. Usually goes a little something like this...

"Wow that Adam Thielen is really good"

"Oh yea, I played against him in college"

"Dang, that's pretty cool. I bet he torched you guys"

"Actually, he didn't even get a 100 yards..................................
                  .................................................. .....he actually had 93 yards (I looked it up) and the TD pass as Laker mentions and I played offense but details details details"

:wink:

In all seriousness, that's what made watching Thielen's rise so much fun to watch. It's always fun to say you got to play against NFL guys (CSP's Zac Moore was another, and I actually got to block him!) but when I think back to 2012, I don't remember our coaches talking him up like he was all-pro, etc. And that's what people who basically are just hearing of Thielen don't get. "So he was good but you wouldn't have known he was gonna be THIS good" is what a buddy told me.

Pretty much. Guy has busted his tail to make himself into the pro he is today and it's been a lot of fun to watch as a Minnesotan, and a Vikings fan. Thanks MSU and Adam for giving me a fun bar talking point! Skol.
                  2016 NSIC Champions
                  🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑

Comment

I think the most interesting part of this game will be is USF willing to take shots down the field on the Mavs? MSU struggled with Augie throwing the ball down the field on them back in September..but have gotten enough pressure since then to make that harder for most teams. That's kinda tricky with Watson at USF, as a blitz that misses could lead to 6 with his ability to get to the end zone after getting through the front line. USF threw on Kato last year, almost like it was a sneak attack. With USF's deep threat Nate Johnson getting injured a few weeks ago, I'm not sure how much USF will feel good about taking those same deep shots they used against SMSU and such. It seems the teams who can throw it against Mankato are the ones that can beat them (in the past). Easier said than done.

On the other side....the Kato offense has nice balance this year and Zylstra is so hard to deal with..as he's scoring literally every game. USF's going to have their hands full to keep this game close, as Kato is can really score it..and this USF team isn't built to come back quickly after being down a few scores. All said, this is a very good game for Mankato to play, pre-playoffs....as USF will offer them a playoff feel and test like they'd find in a few weeks.

Comment

This will be a good matchup. If it weren't for the Stangs at home I'd totally be there.

I don't really care who wins so long as it's competitive.

Comment

Having watched both teams play at Kirkeby-Over Stadium it would be easy for me to pick USF, if the Coo could play with the energy and passion they did against the Vikings every game they would be undefeated and on their way to a national championship. They Cougars gave us our worst margin of defeat, (38 pts) and the Mavs gave us our closest margin of defeat, (2 pts) but you can't bottle up your best game for the future. My thoughts are this is going to be a hard fought victory for MSU.

Comment

Originally posted by vikingfaithful View Post
                          Having watched both teams play at Kirkeby-Over Stadium it would be easy for me to pick USF, if the Coo could play with the energy and passion they did against the Vikings every game they would be undefeated and on their way to a national championship. They Cougars gave us our worst margin of defeat, (38 pts) and the Mavs gave us our closest margin of defeat, (2 pts) but you can't bottle up your best game for the future. My thoughts are this is going to be a hard fought victory for MSU.

Comment

2016 NSIC Champions
                            🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑

Comment

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X