Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NSIC Pick'Em Week #11 - Chat

So here it is the last week of the regular season already. It went by way too fast. My picks for last week were abysmal, the only comfort being they were abysmal for most everyone. This week I only see two games that are a little up in the air (without an upset occurring.)

Upper Iowa at Minnesota State-Mankato - Mankato is the #1 team in the nation. As we've repeatedly stated, UIU this season is Jeckyll and Hyde. However, I don't think either Jeckyll or Hyde will be enough to beat Mankato at home.

Wayne State at Sioux Falls - Last weekend the Coo arguably gave Mankato their toughest game of the season, and as Witt said showed that they are likely much better than their record would indicate. Wayne also played a pretty good game against UIU. USF is down their top two wide receivers, which means they'll probably rely even more heavily on their heavy ground attack. Thankfully for them, Wayne has a slightly below middle of the pack run defense. However, knowing the USF will be a bit less potent through the air might make them sell out a bit more against the run. In addition, Watson needs 172 yards to break the NSIC single season rushing record and that may mean he gets the ball a little more often in the hopes he can reach that goal. I always think of Wayne as a scrappy team that can suprise people at times, so I'm not expecting the Wildcats to roll over. However, I do think that the Cougars win at home on Senior Day.

Minot State at Bemidji State - Bemidji lost last weekend to a team that probably wasn't quite as good as them. I think they vent some frustrations in this weekend's Beaver Battle.

Concordia-St. Paul at Winona State - Both these teams wrecked my picks last weekend. It didn't really surprise me that Winona won as I figured their game against Augie could go either way. It did surprise me that the Golden Bears knocked off SMSU, as CSP hasn't been playing as well recently. That being said, Winona is also a team that I think has played below their potential this season. But I don't think they're going to struggle too hard this weekend and they'll finish the season with a win and possibly a trip to the MWB.

Northern State at Minnesota-Duluth - Duluth has had a couple of weeks to rest their starters and give their backups some valuable playing time. Northern hasn't had that luxury. Few teams beat the Bulldogs at home and I don't think the Wolves are going to change that statistic this weekend.

Mary at Minnesota-Crookston - This is the first of my "up in the air" games. What a tough year for Mary. Before the season started I didn't think that at this point in the season they would be sitting winless. Even less likely would I have thought that they would be considered the underdog against Crookston. Both of these teams have had a couple games where they've played competitively, but a lot more games where they haven't. Mary will be fighting to not get shut out this season. Crookston will be fighting to have their first two-win season in a long time. I'm not sure if this has the makings of a really good game or a really bad game, but I think Crookston will have just enough more ability to win this game at home.

St. Cloud State at Minnesota State-Moorhead - This is the other game I think could go either way. Both teams are sitting with a 7-3 record. I've watched both teams play this season and in the games I saw St. Cloud was clearly the better team. Perhaps I saw the Huskies on a particularly good day and the Dragons on a bad day? Could be. However I think St. Cloud is a much more physical team and that should allow them just enough edge to get a win on the road.

Augustana at Southwest Minnesota State - Before last week SMSU seemed to be putting some things together, then they lost to a Concordia team that I thought they easily should have won against. Augie also lost, but to a much better Winona team. I think the Augie air attack is a really bad matchup for SMSU's passing defense, which will probably spell a long day for the Mustangs.

Re: NSIC Pick'Em Week #11 - Chat

I would call SCSU at Moorhead the game of the week. It seems to have the most riding on it. The next most interesting game is to see if Mary can win a game this season or UMC can win their second.

You never know what kind of team will show up for the last week. Some teams want to be done and mail it in. Others still have something to prove. Either way- didn't the season seem to fly by?

Comment

Upper Iowa at Minnesota State-MankatoMSUM (-13)

Wayne State at Sioux Falls: What a season for Watson, On the verge of the breaking the single season NSIC rushing record, leads the nation in rushing yards, and is 5th in all-purpose yards in the nation. Sioux Falls is a much better team than their record indicates after watching the highlights from the game last week playing very tough against the mavericks. Not sure the margin of victory, but I am taking the Coo to finish strong at home and beat WSC. USF (-6)

Minot State at Bemidji State: Bemidji State really let me down last week, shocked to say the least. Although, I think they will bounce back against the team that I believe is the worst in the conference. They have only thrown two interceptions this year, and are 2nd best in the nation while picking off an astonishing 18 balls. Bemidji state is a very strong team, I have them winning big at home. BSU (-20)

Concordia-St. Paul at Winona State: The warriors proved me wrong last week against Augustana. WSUs RB Roebuck is an outstanding player and is going to cause problems for the CSP rush defense. CSP runs on first down about 75% of the time and about 60% of the time on second down, solely because Mckinzey does not have a strong or accurate arm at all, only completing two passes when they played UMC, I see this playing right into the strengths of WSU defense. Winona is tied for 2nd in the nation with 5 defensive touchdowns, look for another one this weekend. WSU (-9)

Northern State at Minnesota-DuluthUMD (-20)

Mary at Minnesota-CrookstonUMC (-6)

St. Cloud State at Minnesota State-Moorhead: Very hard game to pick and is my game of the week. Moorhead WR Richter is 10th in the nation in receiving yards and I think he has looked great this year, sure hands and crisp routes. This is going to be a close game which would usually give the edge to SCSU as their kicker is top twenty in the nation with a .789 field goal percentage. The dragons have also only thrown 3 INTs this year which is the 4th best in the nation. Moorhead gets the natural bump for being at home. MSUM (-2)

Augustana at Southwest Minnesota State: This one is going to be a shootout. AU Saddler is 5th in the nation in pass yards and SMSU Gimbel is right behind him at 6th. Going to be a ton of fun to watch these guys light it up head to head. SMSU is slightly more predictable as they are in 11 personell 90% of the time and while lining up in Doubles are passing about 70% of the time. Overall I believe Augie is the better team having watched both in multiple games. AU (-6)

Have a great week everybody.

Comment

Awesome anaylsis CrookstonsFinest! Very detailed.

Comment

against the team that I believe is the worst in the conference.

If you look at their roster, they're also the youngest team and start the youngest group in the conference. All new coaches brought in 2 seasons ago are experienced, but are workin' with all new faces. I believe their recruits will make a difference in the next few years.

Just like I hope Crookston and Mary improve. I think parity is paramount to the survival of any conference. It just takes time.

Comment

The Annual Beaver Bowl is this week - I've got Green beating Red.

There's my "hot take" for the week. Carry on.

Comment

Comment

This might have been your best effort ever! :good::good:

Comment

Hopefully! It's been a fun year so far but I'm not quite ready for it to be over. So I'll just leave you with this:

Some of you have been with us for years and
                  Some have even shared some tears,
                  But through it all we endured all the jeers
                  For one last chance to celebrate and drink all of the beers, So lift your glass one final time and kick some Huskie a$$!

Comment

Originally posted by DoubleNickels View Post
                    Hopefully! It's been a fun year so far but I'm not quite ready for it to be over. So I'll just leave you with this:

Some of you have been with us for years and
                    Some have even shared some tears,
                    But through it all we endured all the jeers
                    For one last chance to celebrate and drink all of the beers, So lift your glass one final time and kick some Huskie a$$!
                    And here I thought that the last would would be "rears" to rhyme with years, tears and jeers!

Comment

Originally posted by laker View Post
                      And here I thought that the last would would be "rears" to rhyme with years, tears and jeers!
                      Rah, rah, ree!
                      Kick 'em in the knee!
                      Rah, rah, rass!
                      Kick 'em in the other knee!

Comment

All I can say about Quentin 44's poetry is....it belongs to the ages.:) He belongs in the company of Wordsworth, Longfellow, Shakespeare, Robert Frost, and other immortals. :)

Comment

Hip hip hooray for Quentin44, the man is amazing!

Comment

Originally posted by vikingfaithful View Post
                            Hip hip hooray for Quentin44, the man is amazing!
                            OK, you all are VERY nice. Thank you for all the positive notes, although let's face it, the bar is kind of low if you accept "Texas" and "wreck this" as
                            poetry.

Ah, I can't quit you.

Comment

Originally posted by Quentin44 View Post
                              Ah, I can't quit you.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X