Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: NSIC Pick'Em Week #11 - Chat

Originally posted by DoubleNickels View Post
    I've thought the same thing when I've watched UMD this year. Just hard to listen to but I get it.

On the other hand, Upper Iowa's guy MEANS BIIZZZNESS about 60 times a game.

I'm just glad we have live streams for all the games in the conference! Really makes it fun and easy to keep track of everyone! Another great NSIC year in the books!

Comment

I actually enjoy listening to the various crews around the conference. Depending on my mood, I find them either annoying or hilarious. I will say that I was impressed by the duo that did the SMSU/Augie game today. The color guy was more low key than most, which was a welcome change.

Comment

Thank you for the honest opinion. I mean everyone has their own opinions, I try to be fair and certainly understand an occasional biased opinion or rooting for your home squad, but I only watched part of the 3rd and I couldnt do it any more. Even the pxp guy seemed like he was annoyed.

There was a point where the color guys says something like "You heard of a guy, Bud Grant....you know him at all.....heard the name?"

And between all those long pauses the pxp guys finally goes "oh, bud....yeah, well of course I remember." Then the color guys told some story that was completely unrelated. Haha

Poor pxp guy, he seemed like he just wanted to cover the game, I felt bad, haha.

Comment

Originally posted by DoubleNickels View Post
          I've thought the same thing when I've watched UMD this year. Just hard to listen to but I get it.

On the other hand, Upper Iowa's guy MEANS BIIZZZNESS about 60 times a game.

I'm just glad we have live streams for all the games in the conference! Really makes it fun and easy to keep track of everyone! Another great NSIC year in the books!
          Absolutely...if we didn't complain it would mean we had no blessings at all to take for granted

Comment

I didn't find this out until later, but besides setting the career record in passing yards, Blake threw 43 completions on 70 attempts - both of which are single game school records. He had something like 423 yards.

He sure went out with a bang.

Comment

Originally posted by SW_Mustang View Post
              I didn't find this out until later, but besides setting the career record in passing yards, Blake threw 43 completions on 70 attempts - both of which are single game school records. He had something like 423 yards.

He sure went out with a bang.
              Did he end up the all-time nsic passing leader in career yards?

Comment

Originally posted by Twincitiesmav View Post
                I don't believe so. He finished either 3rd or 4th from what the NSIC record book showed. Still a pretty solid accomplishment.

It makes me wonder though... He threw for 3,300 yards this year with no support from the O-Line - I wonder what could have happened if he did?

EDIT: I just checked - his punt average was also good for 2nd all-time (team) - but he was 5 attempts shy of the minimum 50 needed. He really could do it all.
                Last edited by SW_Mustang; 11-11-2018, 11:11 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Twincitiesmav View Post
                  1. Jack Nelson, WSU (2013-16) 12007
                  2. Trey Heid, Augie (2013-2016) 11300
                  3. Cole Jaeschke, UIU (2011-2014) 11581
                  4. Blake Gimbel, SMSU (2014-18) 10530
                  5. Zach Osborn, WSC (2013-17) 9866

Comment

Originally posted by Matt Witwicki View Post
                    USF missed 3FG in the WSU game....they make 1 of them, they win. That was when WSU was healthier than they were in the back half of the year. I think most people would've take USF to beat WSU 7 outta 10 if they played weekly throughout the year. Neither team was as good as the year previous. Neither looked good when they played each other as well..but the opponent has a lot to do with that. When you don't convert on any of 3 FG attempts and lose by 1pt, you blame yourself. When you are up 21-3 at BSU in the 3rd quarter and lose, you blame yourself. SCSU....they just beat USF IMO....but 2 games right there..if USF takes care of business, they are on the 6 line for the playoffs right now, as their SOS is very high. But..that's the difference between taking care of your business and not finishing games.

The difference between USF and WSU both playing Mankato was that USF played the Mavs hard in the 2nd half while Winona was up at half and was dominated in the 2nd half. Watching USF destroy teams like UIU and Augie, while Winona lost to the Peacocks and struggled to beat AU....that kinda stuff also suggests that looking at the entire year, USF was the better team and played the tougher schedule (per the SOS).

Like you've mentioned, WSU had a lot of key injuries this year..and I've documented that from the moment it started..losing 3 of captains in the first month of the season. Like you, I thought WSU would be right in the playoff race..but their own inability to finish UIU sunk their boat certainly.

Sometimes it's not as easy as "we beat you" to critically assess how good a team was in a given year. You don't hear me saying UIU is better than BSU or WSU..and they beat both of those squads head-up....instead you look at the entire year, how teams played against the best teams, and so forth.

My thoughts.
                    USF missed 2 FG and had one blocked, WSU missed one to go along with their 4 turnovers which is why some think that WSU tried to give the game away. We don't fumble on the 22, have the interception in the end zone or give up 3 big plays and the game isn't even close either. WSU wasn't healthy when they played USF with 3 of their 4 captains either not playing at all or out in the 1st quarter. I do think WSU was better than the year before and finishing 8-3 with all the injuries they had showed that. WSWU was in every game but their depth showed up late in a few games and cost them. After watching USF I would never have picked them 7 out of 10 times to beat WSU or did I think they were a that great of a team. They were good with a solid running back, take him out of the mix and you struggle to reach .500.

To say WSU didn't play MSU hard is laughable, it was a 3 pt game with less than 2 minutes left. That interception on the 3 proved to be the game winner for MSU at the 10 min mark. WSU still had their chances but again the lack of depth showed up. The WSU didn't play as well the 2nd half but the game came down to the wire.

You have said WSU had some injuries but I don't think most people know how bad it was. WSU had 14 starters out for a min of 5 games or more and 8 out for the season. Most of the injuries happened on the front end and a number of the backups played better by the end of the season which helped in the end of the year. WSU took 5 pts off the board at UIU and dropped the ball on a punt at the 13 without being touched. Things happen and that's why they play the games but WSU hurt themselves plenty this year and still had a decent year. WSU played the top 2 teams as well as anyone and had their chances to win them, with the number of people out they had a great year.

I never said "we beat you" because of a score, I pointed to reasons the other side didn't see things the same or just as easy as saying we make a FG we win. Looking at the entire year I would say WSU was better than USF and they will beat them next year as well....Just saying.

Comment

Originally posted by WSUWarriorFan View Post
                      Got the WSU streaming up late, apparently the entire Concordia team stomped on the Warrior logo before the game resulting in a penalty.
                      Don't forget #79 being thrown out of the game for going after the ref who threw the flag. Thugs and criminals are back...

Comment

Originally posted by OldSchool View Post
                        Don't forget #79 being thrown out of the game for going after the ref who threw the flag. Thugs and criminals are back...

Comment

That was #69, he played but his uni didn't fit at all. He was a big guy for sure...I think he was listed at 465.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X